• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre to be part of ORDA?

catskills

Looks like it is coming if the budget is approved:

The Budget authorizes the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and the Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) to enter into an agreement to transfer the operations of the Belleayre Mountain Ski Center to ORDA at the close of the 2011-12 ski season. ORDA will allow for more efficient management of Belleayre operations utilizing their expertise in the ski industry.​

See Watershed Post

legalskier

It's official: Cuomo wants ORDA to run Belleayre Mountain next year
*** This is a preliminary budget proposal, so the transfer will not happen until the budget is finalized. But it's a big indication that the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation's days in the ski business may be numbered. ***

Link: http://www.watershedpost.com/2012/its-official-cuomo-wants-orda-run-belleayre-mountain-next-year

If I'm not mistaken, the state's fiscal year ends on March 31. Must the budget be finalized by then?

What is the downside?

If the new management that's based outside the Catskills region isn't sensitive to Belleayre's significance as an economic driver in the Route 28 corridor, the downside for local business people could be rocky. Additionally, would new management support the other off season programs that Belleayre promotes, like the music series, jazz festival, children's theater, the swimming area, etc?

catskills

If the new management that's based outside the Catskills region isn't sensitive to Belleayre's significance as an economic driver in the Route 28 corridor, the downside for local business people could be rocky. Additionally, would new management support the other off season programs that Belleayre promotes, like the music series, jazz festival, children's theater, the swimming area, etc?
Good points. This is why Belleayre should be run by NY State Parks and Recreation which are responsible for many parks like Jones Beach.

The other issue is ORDA wages are extremely low and are not self sufficient to live on. NY State Parks and Recreation has higher wages and better benefits than ORDA. Belleayre employees under ORDA may be more dependent on Ulster County social services and no health care. When they get hurt they will require assistance from Ulster county tax payers.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

I think it's also a question of whether the budget will support it. The budget doc recommends a cut to the DEC budget of 16%, and it seems likely that if Bell were to stay with the DEC the mountain's operating budget would be cut even further than the cuts this year. (Those cuts were heavy duty).

I'll bet that there will be a lot of dissatisfaction with budgets for Belleayre (and Gore and Whiteface) in the next year. But I don't think those concerns would not exist without this change in management.

oakapple

I'll bet that there will be a lot of dissatisfaction with budgets for Belleayre (and Gore and Whiteface) in the next year. But I don't think those concerns would not exist without this change in management.

I understand the concerns of Belleayre fans (and I count myself as one). But it just makes no sense to have two state agencies in the ski business. This consolidation was long overdue.

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
I understand the concerns of Belleayre fans (and I count myself as one). But it just makes no sense to have two state agencies in the ski business. This consolidation was long overdue.

From The Midhudson News .com:

State Assemblyman Kevin Cahill (D-Kingston) said the issue at Belleayre is funding, not administration. "Left to its own operationally, the ski center has been and can be profitable. Management efficiencies have long been the practice at the facility," he said. "Putting it in an under-funded regional authority with little or no connection to the Catskills does not put the needed capital resources into the system."​

BenedictGomez

Here's what I'd love to know, WHERE can we find the below data?

[State Assemblyman Kevin Cahill (D-Kingston) said "Left to its own operationally, the ski center has been and can be profitable.."

It's a public entity, so we should ostensibly have access to this data. And what's recently come out completely refutes the above and says Belleayre loses money. I'd like the see the truth (re: making/losing money).

legalskier

News release from Assemblyman Kevin Cahill today:

ASSEMBLY BUDGET PROPOSAL REJECTS BELLEAYRE TRANSFER TO OLYMPIC REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
Albany, NY
Assemblymember Kevin Cahill (D Ulster / Dutchess) announced that theAssembly's budget proposal does not include Governor Cuomo's plan to place the BelleayreMountain Ski Center, currently overseen by the Department of Environmental Conservation,under the management of the Olympic Regional Development Authority.
The issue at Belleayre is funding, not administration. Putting it in an under-funded regional authority with little or no connection to the Catskills does nothing to assure the Ski Center willreceive the resources it needs to thrive.³Belleayre has been hit with a hugely disproportionate reduction in funding compared to other agencies of the state. Simply shifting the operation to another entity without adequate localrepresentation and a clear long term financial plan is not the answer.
This is an opportunity to go back to the drawing board and re-imagine the possibilities for the great asset of the Catskills, thiscenter of commerce for the Route 28 corridor and tremendous recreational facility for so many New Yorkers.´

Link: http://www.scribd.com/doc/84944617/News-Release-Assembly-Budget-Rejects-Belleayre-Transfer

Related article:

Assembly budget gives thumbs-down to Belleayre ORDA transfer
Not included in the New York State Assembly's 2012 budget proposal: Money for ORDA to take over the management of the Belleayre Ski Center, currently operated by DEC. The Assembly has not yet passed its budget, but a press release from Assemblyman Kevin Cahill, who represents most of Ulster County and Rhinebeck in Dutchess County, claims that the budget proposal rejects the Belleayre transfer.

http://www.watershedpost.com/2012/assembly-budget-gives-thumbs-down-belleayre-orda-transfer