• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East - 3/2

NotEasyBeingGreen

Conditions: Nice snow, some powdery stuff and not much wind

After this warm week in West/Central MA, Wachusett didn't seem like a great option this weekend. I've been wanting to try Berkshire East and it was a quick and easy drive. They had some recent snowfall and it was nice to see that nothing was really scraped off, but it also wasn't overly groomed - even on beginner and intermediate trails. The trails are nice and wide (by local comparison) and seem to have a great variety. The views were outstanding. There are no high speed lifts, but that wasn't a problem on Saturday, as the place was deliciously uncrowded, so lift lines were fast or nonexistent. Extremely laid back vibe.

While I loved this place and will definitely go back again, it really wouldn't be an accurate report to leave out two drawbacks I noticed. One: the parking "lot" is a flippin' mud swamp. I truly thought it might be quicksand. I can take a lot of nature, but this was gross. Two: there are almost no trail signs and this is an issue because there are a lot of trails that merge. You gotta place your bet. I wouldn't care so much if it were just me, but with a kid following who may not be as adventurous, it can be a hazard.

Overall, however, fantastic day and definitely worth a return.

Hado226

On your criticisms... Yup it is mud season in southern New England, and you should have been up here before we put up the 20 new trail signs last month.

On the conditions - awesome weekend. Lots of cover - the woods are still too crusty to be much fun, that should change once daytime temps get above the 30s on the mountain.

bdfreetuna

Well Berkshire East's lot has been really muddy last couple times I've been. Like so muddy I didn't want to step into my car afterwards.

Not that I expect them to do anything about it. Maybe a few loads of gravel couldn't hurt.

TheBEast

Yeah great day up there on Sunday too! Yeah parking lot has always been a mess but more so this year ever since they used some "free" sand from the town that was taken from some of the flood plains after various storms and spread it on the lot when it got icey. Weather was in the high 30s parts of Sat/Sun so the lot got a bit sloppy. They've defintely got to do something with that over the summer. Signs have always been an issue as they've tended to "disappear" but the map is pretty accurate so good to have that handy. I've been skiing up there for so many years I don't even think about it any more, but a good point when you've got youngsters in tow and need to chose trails wisely!

Hado226

Mud season by definition is daytime highs above freezing, lows below. Been that way for a couple weeks now at the base of the mountain. If the maple's are running, the lots and dirt roads are muddy.

bdfreetuna

Berkshire East signs aren't really an issue IMO. You can basically see the bottom of the mountain from any given point on the mountain... you should be able to tell if you're about to point your skis straight down or somewhat across the fall line ;)

arik

I enjoyed reading the first visit to B-East report. Awesome laid back vibe right!?

thanks for the heads up on the mud, I will be careful on saturday

what are trail signs?