• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best beginner resort

Neglia33

Hi all. My wife and I are looking to go to vermont later this month. She minimally skis(just starting) so im lookingfor some easy slower runs for her to enjoy. I would also like to find a place that offers ski in/out for the times she doesnt want to ski, i dont have to drive somewhere and leave her. Lastly if you know of places that offer ther activities as well for her to enjoy in case she quits skiing day 1 id appreciate it. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks. Anthony

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not really good with the ski-in, ski-out, but otherwise fits the bill would be Bretton Woods.

I'd say Smuggler's Notch, but that is more geared towards kids.

Welcome to the boards!

Neglia33

Thanks trailboss. Yea i originally looked there however the lodge didnt have any availability for when we were going. Is Smugglers notch really a little kid run resort? I mean we're not looking for a quiet romantic trip, but we also dont wanna be run over bu bratty little kids te whole time if you know what I mean.
Thanks again

Neglia33

Very good st bear. Not to sound like a jerk but thats why im asking for opinions. Just cause theyre a "resort" doesnt mean theyre good and worth driving 5+hours to. Theres 3 "resorts" here in jersey but i dont wanna ski there cause theyre horrible. If I knew they were all the same calliber and worthy, i wouldnt nees opinions and would randomly pick one

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm just poking fun at this forum, because every "Where should I go?" question inevitably results in every single resort being listed.

You're coming from NJ? That helps narrow things. I was going to suggest Bolton Valley, but that's quite a hike. Stratton will probably get a lot of votes. They have a nice base village.

Whiteface would probably get my vote. They have a seperate beginner area, and lots of off-slope activities (probably the most in the Northeast). No ski-in/ski-out though.

JSHSKI

Consider Okemo & Stowe

Yes their are many full service resorts in Vermont, but Neglia33 is looking for recommendations here. Okemo offers ski in ski out accommodations and pretty good variety of terrain. Ludlow has some things to do off of the mountain too.

Stowe may not have the ski in ski out to the same degree, but it is the complete package as a ski resort and town. Great dining options, great skiing variety, romantic if you want, etc. Not going to be inexpensive, but a first rate experience. Even at the Boston ski show, the Stowe booth was the place to visit for fantastic appetizers and conversation. Enjoy your trip, this is going to be a good year! :grin:

Neglia33

Thank you guys i will check them out. St bear i did look into whiteface but the lodge only had 3 bedroom suites avail and being its only 2 of us I didnt think we needed 3 bedrooms. :). Have you stayed at any of the other hotels/lodges that are in the area? Can you recommend one?

thetrailboss

Staff member
41 resorts in VT. Let's see how long it takes to name all of them. We've already got one.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are no longer 41 downhill ski areas in Vermont that are still open. In fact, it's about half that.

Smuggs: when I went we focused on the upper mountain, so I can't really say about the lower areas, but their focus is on kids and families.

Burke has slopeside and a nice beginner area, but it is pretty laid back up there, so no real activities other than skiing, XC skiing, snowshoeing, and relaxing. Id' recommend this as a place to stay.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Thank you guys i will check them out. St bear i did look into whiteface but the lodge only had 3 bedroom suites avail and being its only 2 of us I didnt think we needed 3 bedrooms. :). Have you stayed at any of the other hotels/lodges that are in the area? Can you recommend one?

I stayed at The Ledgerock at Whiteface last year. It's almost literally across the street. Clean, simple, and cheap, with free wi-fi and breakfast. But its older and not what I would call "romantic" for a couples getaway.

I think it would come down to what your wife is looking to do. Lake Placid has all the Olympic activities and tours, Stratton/Okemo would have more shopping options.

x10003q

Your best bets for slopeside and decent beginner skiing and easiest drive from NJ are Mt Snow and Stratton. Both have great snowmaking, lifts and grooming. I happen to hit Stratton more than Mt Snow, but either would be a good choice.

Mpdsnowman

I would like to think any of the southern mountains would be fine. My initial thought would be smugglers notch. They have the village, very user friendly mountain and it encompasses the family environment which as an off cute conductive to what your looking for. Its not very crowded and really doesnt get the metro city people as much as stratton etc does.....imo.

Stowe does have a good beginners mountain. Its actually the back side of smuggs. But its pricey...Killington and whiteface will scare her lol end that one right there lol..Burke is definitely a great choice too, the toll road is very fun to ski/ride.

I really do think she would like smuggs the best....imo of course...

Neglia33

Yea we went to killingto 2or 3 years ago and it was early so it wasnt fully open. After she got to the summit for some of the green, the trails back to base were closed and so she walked down the rest. I felt horrible and I dont want her to freak out again. I want her to realize that skiing is enjoyable. So thanks for all your insight. I really appreciate it everyone

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Killington and whiteface will scare her lol end that one right there lol...

You bring up an interesting point. I can see your point, but I would say the opposite, that taking a beginner to a larger mountain can enhance the experience. You can ski a green anywhere, but I would think it makes it more exciting to do it on an "Olympic mountain". That's why he's looking for resorts in VT, and not the Poconos.

Neglia33

You bring up an interesting point. I can see your point, but I would say the opposite, that taking a beginner to a larger mountain can enhance the experience. You can ski a green anywhere, but I would think it makes it more exciting to do it on an "Olympic mountain". That's why he's looking for resorts in VT, and not the Poconos.

Yes exactly and besides i want her skiing on SNOW not ice like NJ and PA is famous for. Ugghhh ive ski'd way to many years on that crap and nothing scares a begginer more than the sound of stopping on ice

snowmonster

If you don't mind the longer drive from NJ, then Smuggs or Stowe would be great bets. The former has a reputation as a family-friendly mountain but don't let that fool you. There's a separate hill for learning and then there's Madonna and Sterling that have kick-your-butt fierceness. The latter is beginner friendly too but at a price. There are reasonably priced b&bs along the mountain road that you should look into.

Smellytele

How about Bromley? It has some slopeside. has some decent beginner terrain. Manchester has some things to do after skiing. The ride from Jersey is probably the closest.