• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Northeast Resort By Decade

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This should be a pretty cool thread for the history buffs like myself. Concept is simple. Best resort in the northeast by decade. For example, in the 90s, Killington was king of skiing. It had growth, 1,000,000 visits, the best terrain, the best lifts, the best nightlife, and the longest season.

Here's my decade-by-decade list.

1930s and 1940s: Bousquet
This was the the first place in New England to have more than a couple slopes and a rope tow. Skiing was the main attraction. Fueled by the ski trains that went up to Pittsfield.

1950s: Stowe
2 mountains and a massive network of trails that would qualify as a medium-sized resort even by today's standard's. 60 years later and the legacy hasn't died.

1960s: Mount Snow
It'd be easier to list what wasn't here. A complex lift system. Trails unique for being wide. And all the quirks of Mt. Snow like the air car, Fountain mountain, outdoor pool, indoor skating, and the infamous nuclear bomb plan...

1970s: ????
Mother Nature and insurance costs won. Couldn't think of anything for this one.

1980s: Sunday River
Otten turned the little ski area into a rival for Killington. Not new trails, but new mountains added every couple of years. Condos! Condos! Condos! Classic "if you build it, they will come" story.

1990s: Killington
The crown jewel of the northeast was at its peak. 1,000,000 skier visits says it all.

2000s: Stowe
Modernized its lift system and became the undisputed luxury resort in the East. Backed up by amazing terrain.

2010s: Jay Peak
Recreating "family" resort with the new waterpark and hotel. West Bowl would be nice. New Bonnie detachable lift? And on top of all this Jay keeps on gaining a reputation for its tree skiing.

Your lists?

tree_skier

I would put MRG in any of the decades, especially now as you don't have deal with the mangled moguls that snowboarders make

VTKilarney

I would choose Cranmore over Bosquet. The Skimobile was pretty inventive for its time and Hannes Schneider really gave the place some clout. I'm thankful that I was able to ride the Skimobile, if for no other reason than it was a piece of history that will never be seen again.

prsboogie

Took this at the N.Conway scenic railway couple weeks ago. Would have to agree with Cranmore in the 30s. Can't tell if you can make out the the skimobile in the picture.

Cannonball

Took this at the N.Conway scenic railway couple weeks ago. Would have to agree with Cranmore in the 30s. Can't tell if you can make out the the skimobile in the picture.

Cranmore opened in 1937. skimobile was pretty cool.
BUT...
Cannon opened in 1938 with the first tram in North America. Win goes to Cannon for the 30's and 40's

prsboogie

I think the 80's go to Killington, too.

I know this is grossly prejudiced but I think SR is clearly the 80s. Now this is probably because I learned to ski their and went up every other weekend with my best friends family who owned slopeside, and I only ever skied Kton as day trips!

MadMadWorld

You forgot to add that in the 2000s Stowe also nearly doubled it's terrain without even increasing their skiable acres....that's impressive in itself!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
For the serious skier looking for pure gnarl, MRG pretty much every decade since the 1960s
For the person who wants the longest season, Killington since the 1960s with a 5-year hiatus following the demise of ASC.
For the person looking for best "ski town". Stowe from the 40's on with honorable mention to Cranmore (North Conway).
Glades pretty much disappeared following Sunday vs. Stratton, but as they re-emerged in the 21st century - there are almost too many choices but I'll go with Jay or Saddleback.
For the largest multi-peak complex, Sugarbush gets my nod.

granite

Cannon should be on the list for the 30's and 40's. Pecketts on Sugar hill in Franconia should be on the list for 30's too-first ski school in America. Pico on the list for Vermont in the 30's.

Cranmore opened in 1937. skimobile was pretty cool.
BUT...
Cannon opened in 1938 with the first tram in North America. Win goes to Cannon for the 30's and 40's

Old Duderino

While I wouldn't nominate this resort to be the best in any decade I would challenge anyone to find anything that had a bigger impact on the ski resort industry in any recent decade than Stratton's decision to allow snowboarders on the mountain in '83. Although snowboarding's popularity has ebbed in recent years we still have parks at just about every resort nowadays and the ski industry not only changed the way they built and marketed skis but crossed over into the snowboard manufacturing business and snowboard manufacturers did the same.

prsboogie

Yes Stowe is an amazing ski area but I can't justify the prices they change for a day pass. It's 4-4.5 hours from me and the only way I go is on the bus, ride and pass for $75, that is a bargain.