• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best places to crash near Jay

reppshred

Planning a trip up to Jay with a buddy and I am on the hunt for a cheap place to crash. Any suggestions? Close(ish) to the mountain and not a complete dump would be ideal. Thoughts?!??!

MadMadWorld

Whatever is closest to the lift. Seriously though, you will thank yourself if you are able to roll out of bed and be first chair on a powder day.

Cornhead

Although it is a dump, the Snowshoe Lodge is where I stay. 8 miles from Jay, Montgomery. Dirt cheap, and you can crawl upstairs to your room from the bar if need be. They even have TV's actually work now! And WiFi that sorta worked last time I was there. Grampa Grunts is another cheap alternative, also in Montgomery. I've never stayed there, but have heard good things about it. I'm sure those that have can chime in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

MadMadWorld

Although it is a dump, the Snowshoe Lodge is where I stay. 8 miles from Jay, Montgomery. Dirt cheap, and you can crawl upstairs to your room from the bar if need be. They even have TV's actually work now! And WiFi that sorta worked last time I was there. Grampa Grunts is another cheap alternative, also in Montgomery. I've never stayed there, but have heard good things about it. I'm sure those that have can chime in.

Crawled huh? Speaking from experience? ;)

BenedictGomez

Outside the box thinking, but are there any B&B or dumpy inns just on the other side of the Canadian border? There are little towns in CA 20 minutes from there.

Tin

We stay at the Black Lantern Inn. Can usually get a good.deal online. By far the best breakfast and dinner around, the rooms have boot.and glove dryers, and are very nice compared to the other spots.

dmw

Anyone have any experience with Woodshed Lodge? Was looking at it online today. I'm exploring cheap options as well.

I find it laughable that Jay claims the new Stateside hotel will be surprisingly affordable - I called there today and the cheapest they offered is $215 midweek.

Cornhead

Crawled huh? Speaking from experience? ;)

Who me? No, my drinking days were behind me before I ever stepped foot inside the Snowshoe, if not, yes, I'd be crawling up the stairs. It is the kind of bar I liked back in my drinking days...a dive.;) I had fun hanging there sober, had a band, interesting locals, some biker chick I think I could've beat arm wrestling, maybe, I was sober, she was drunk, advantage Cornhead. The food looks good, I haven't eaten there.

Adam33

Granny Grunts just past Jay. Cheap and you can get disc lift tickets there.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

crank

Alpine Haven has cheap condo rentals. They are 3 miles west of Jay off 242. Have stayed at Black Lantern in Montogomery. It is a very nice inn. If there is a woman involved in this trip I would highly recommend it. For you and a buddy maybe not so much. Another option is the Newport City Motel which is about a 25 minute drive to the hill but you will have more dining options.

Have fun it looks like it's getting pretty good up there.

mister moose

Anyone have any experience with Woodshed Lodge? Was looking at it online today. I'm exploring cheap options as well.

It's been 10 years, but I stayed at the Woodshed several times. It's quaisi rustic, comfortable, and reasonable prices. Some rooms have shared baths. I only stayed there midweek on a powder day. About halfway up 242 from Jay center to the resort.

There's a B&B in North Troy. I stayed in a B&B over the border twice, but there were no deals across the border once the exchange rate dropped.