• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best route to Sugarloaf?

Whitey

Heading to white river junction to visit a friend at Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital Sunday morning from loaf ... Best rout to 91 south anyone?

Yikes - that's a tough one. Either: go route 142 from Kingfield until you get to route 2. Then follow route 2 for a long time and it eventually connects to 93. Or just suck it up and get back to the highway (95) and then take 101 across to 93 then to 89.

Either way, there's no easy way to get there from SL.

fiddleski

Heading to white river junction to visit a friend at Dartmouth Hitchcock hospital Sunday morning from loaf ... Best rout to 91 south anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
This is actually pretty easy, at least during the day. Done it many times. The first part is the reverse of what I posted earlier. From 'Loaf, take 16 west through Rangeley and Errol. South of Errol, right on 110A to rt. 110. At Groveton take Rt 3 south to Rt 2 at Lancaster. Rt 2 west almost to St. Johnsbury, where you can connect to 93N for one exit to bypass St. J, and then you're at 91.

Rt 110 across NH is a big wide road. The only "small" road is 110A, but that's only about 4 miles. Watch out for moose on 16, which is why it it's best avoided at night.

darent

I always go I 95- 4, at livermore take 133 to 4 , this misses a lot of stop and go on 4 thru Jay and Wilton. 4- to Farmington then 27 to Kingfield. On 133 there is a great spot to buy maple syrup from a sugar shack. If you want to see critters, take 16 from Sugarloaf to Gorham New Hampshire early in the morning, plenty of moose and deer!!

delco714

Speaking of sugarloaf.. I'm now going to be alone for the foreseeable future..any one need a fun but professional 26yo snowboarder in their sugarloaf group???! I'm in Bangor..used...to have a cabin in Stratton

Whitey

Have done the drive hundreds of times. IMHO best route is 95-295-95-104-139-201A-16. Keeps you on the highway longer and adds miles but IMHO way better.
The stretch going thru Lewiston/Auburn is loaded with traffic lights.
Was always the worst part of the drive when we rented in Rangeley and couldn't really avoid that.

Went this way for the trip up to Sugarloaf this weekend. I think this will be my route to go there going forward. It didn't save me (or lose me) any time but it was just an overall easier route to go. One thing I liked was that a lot of the roads once you get off of 95 are 50 or 55 MPH speed limit.

xwhaler

Went this way for the trip up to Sugarloaf this weekend. I think this will be my route to go there going forward. It didn't save me (or lose me) any time but it was just an overall easier route to go. One thing I liked was that a lot of the roads once you get off of 95 are 50 or 55 MPH speed limit.

Yes and fewer lights and towns to slow u down

Whitey

Yes and fewer lights and towns to slow u down

Thanks for the recommendation Xwhaler.

An added benefit of this route is that I am frequently travelling at night either to or from SL, or both (heading up after work, returning after a day of skiing). At night you are better off staying on the well lit, well maintained highway for as long as possible and limiting the backroads as much as you can. This route accomplishes that nicely.