• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Betsy Pratt 3/12/28 - 3/17/23

cdskier

I absolutely loved the story MRG shared about what she did to Otten when he offered to buy MRG and how the co-op was born.

In 1995, Les Otten, who’d just started building his resort empire with the American Skiing Company, made an offer to buy out Mad River Glen, which Pratt had presided over during the previous 20 years. As legend has it, when Otten approached her at the bar, Betsy took a drag off her big corncob pipe, blew the smoke in his face, and told him where he could stick the check. Then she sold it to skiers for half the price and financed it interest-free until she sold enough shares.
In December of 1995 the Mad River Glen Co-op bought Mad River Glen from Betsy Pratt.

slatham

Wow so sorry to hear of this. A legend of the Vermont ski industry. Old school manager of a legendary ski area - the anti-Vail (and, in classic form, the anti ASC). May she ski in peace. And may we all remember what skiing is really about.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I remember her from my days working at the golf course at Sugarbush. Didn't get a chance to talk to her much (I'm a boarder after all... haha), but she would pretty much walk the Front 9 daily. Think she got a cart for the back (not many people wouldn't grab one for the back).

1dog

Skied Fall Line w her in ‘96 think it was.
Woolies and loooong skis.
May God bless you Betsy