• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Snow Indoor Ski Area Thread

jaytrem

It's cool, but the novelty wears off real quick when you are in there. Unless you combine it with other activities in the NYC Metro area, wait another three months for the real thing.
The bump days have also become somewhat of a social event. That helps keep it more interesting for sure.

As mentioned, it's also a great place to learn. My kids could already ski, so we didn't have to waste and "real ski days" when they learned to snowboard.

mikec142

I live pretty close by (30 minutes or so). I've never made it for a mogul day but will try to do so soon. The couple times I've gone have been on 90+ degree days and it's a welcome relief. After about an hour or so, it gets pretty boring though. Excited about the moguls though.

Maybe this is just me, but I wouldn't go too far out of my way to ski Big Snow.

Zand

I didn't bother stopping when I was in Jersey two weeks ago for a shore trip, but with bumps I think it may actually be worth a special trip (about 3 hrs for me). Plus I could ski for a couple hours then pop another hour south for a few rides on El Toro.

urungus

Worlds largest indoor ski area just opened in Shanghai, they have both a gondola and a chairlift, LOL. I dunno about this freeway ramp style run though - think the walls are high enough ?

IMG_3089.jpeg

Zand

wait, wut? Why not wax? or spray wax or silicone or something. Wouldn’t wd40 strip wax off?

is this a thing? Am I missing something?
No idea what we're missing, I would never do that either. But some of the park rats were indeed using it before heading down.

ColdRain&Snow

A lot of the snow is very slow. Not necessarily sticky, but almost like you're skiing on sand instead of snow. This was especially evident at the bottom where you really had to slog through the line to get back to the lift. Saw multiple people unloading a can of WD-40 on their board before each run.

Only in New Jersey, skiing creates a superfund site ☠️

KustyTheKlown

went to big snow once. checked a box. never will go back. dont care if they seed moguls. there are like 20 moguls before you are done on the slowest chairlift in the world again. imo, its for teaching kids, park rats, and nothing else.

went to big snow once. checked a box. never will go back. dont care if they seed moguls. there are like 20 moguls before you are done on the slowest chairlift in the world again. imo, its for teaching kids, park rats, and nothing else.
I'm dying to get back on skis, but im with you, except i dont need to go even once. Or maybe if there was serious drinking before, during, and after, with girls in bikinis, to where i would be so obliterated i see a huge mountain rather than a titled tabletop of a slope. but then there is a 2 hour drive home.
I know some people really enjoy the place, and thats cool, but its just not for me. ranks up there with snow tubing.

Zand

I'm most likely gonna give it a go this Sunday to check out the bump line and see how much it sucks. Giants and Jets are both on the road so don't have to worry about football traffic. Getting 2 days on my $99 pass would feel pretty good, and then maybe use it one more time next summer.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Worlds largest indoor ski area just opened in Shanghai, they have both a gondola and a chairlift, LOL. I dunno about this freeway ramp style run though - think the walls are high enough ?

View attachment 63196
Looks a bit like Cliff / Hell Gate / Minya at Hunter

jaytrem

I'm most likely gonna give it a go this Sunday to check out the bump line and see how much it sucks. Giants and Jets are both on the road so don't have to worry about football traffic. Getting 2 days on my $99 pass would feel pretty good, and then maybe use it one more time next summer.
I'll probably go Friday evening and maybe bring the kids on Sunday afternoon. Need to get them seasonal rentals first, unless they want to snowboard.