• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain Maine 12.30.12

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Powder/Pack Powder
Since everywhere else was peak/vacation prices I decided to try Black Mtn out. For $15 why not.
They claim 1380ft vert which isn't too bad either.
I was pleasantly surprised with the place. A fresh 4 or so inches fell the night before adding to last week's snows. It isn't the most challenging place I skied but natural conditions on all the diamonds made for a good day. There aren't that many trails. Even though they claim 30 there is a lot of upper/lower type runs. There were quite a few glades as well which weren't too bad for a small place. Th place was amazingly dead. Since it was so dead the powder stayed pretty fresh all day. For the price worth a try over a holiday weekend when other places are crowded and full price if you are in Maine or northern NH. That $15 is all day everyday. If you go and want a trail map, print one out ahead of time. There were none at the mountain available. Trails were marked but no map slopeside or paper.

salsgang

Good report. This $15 ticket strategy is interesting. Black has world-class nordic facilities but they are trying to kick start their alpine operations. They have a very nice base lodge and a newish triple that serves the top of the mountain. They are owned by non-profit corp that also owns Big Rock in Mars Hill. Nice to hear they have glades as they must be recently cut as there was only 1 glade last time I was there a couple of years ago.