• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blackberry Storm

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
May want to re-check. 3G coverage isn't really there, but EDGE coverage isn't too bad in your area. You should have pretty good 3G by YE 2009.

I live in a pretty tough valley, Paul. The only reason I get good Verizon coverage is because they have an antenna in the Dudley Congregational Church on Dudley Hill, about 1/2 mile line of sight from my house. Receptions so bad, I can pick up one radio station, and not very well.

BeanoNYC

The problem with the iPhone is that you cannot use Verizon as your service provider. So for a lot of people in New England, like me, that only get Verizon signal at home and around town, an iPhone would be less than useful.

My biggest gripe with the iPhone is the lack of ability to swap out batteries and removable storage.

As far as AT&T vs. Verizon service goes: I've said this before on here and I'll say it again. With Verizon I was able to get a call through to my wife (then GF) from Manhattan on 9/11; Enough Said.

That being said. The Storm is slower than shit crawling up a hill. They need to work out the bugs before I would purchase. I do like the push/touching keyboard though. Much easier to type, IMO, than on a typical touchscreen. You need to commit an extra millimeter to any given letter and I feel that improves recognition. Either way...The potential of the storm is limitless but I'll stick with my curve until they work out the kinks.

Paul

the funny thing is it really could be if at&t wasn't so myopic.

AT&T has zero say on the iPhone. It is allowed to sell it, and it has the exclusive service agreement. That is all. AT&T may be a lot of things, myopic may be one of them, but any short-comings of the iPhone are strictly thanks to Steve Jobs and Apple Inc.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
AT&T has zero say on the iPhone. It is allowed to sell it, and it has the exclusive service agreement. That is all. AT&T may be a lot of things, myopic may be one of them, but any short-comings of the iPhone are strictly thanks to Steve Jobs and Apple Inc.

actually it is at&t that has stoped the abitlity for tethering. there are few articals about it. at&t wants people to buy the additional connect card and service.

Paul

actually it is at&t that has stoped the abitlity for tethering. there are few articals about it. at&t wants people to buy the additional connect card and service.

The articles are incorrect. If AT&T wanted to stop tethering so bad, other devices would not be able to. As an employee, I hate the company more than anyone else here, but at least get your facts straight. I've been on multiple internal calls regarding the iPhone. AT&T has absolutely no say on the device itself. We have input on every other manufacturer (I'm trialing a new Samsung right now and was part of the Bold trial as well) but Apple is the ONLY manufacturer where we do nothing more than provide the service and sell the unit.

frozencorn

I love my iPhone. Have had no problem with AT&T at all. The GPS is fantastic. Weather Channel app is brilliant. E-mail, voice recorder, ski reports.....

I'd argue with the "gimmicky" view, but I'm an Apple guy, so maybe I'm just gimmicky....

Paul

I love my iPhone. Have had no problem with AT&T at all. The GPS is fantastic. Weather Channel app is brilliant. E-mail, voice recorder, ski reports.....

I'd argue with the "gimmicky" view, but I'm an Apple guy, so maybe I'm just gimmicky....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily implying that gimmicky is a bad thing, its just more appealing to the consumer than to a business user. As far as a business device, RIM really looks to be the best. The Black Berry is a very stable device that can be used in a variety of ways. I love the hell out of my Bold (BB 9000) and haven't used another device nearly as solid as it is.

As a personal device the iPhone is great. I just don't recommend them to folks who really are looking for something to tie into an enterprise business solution.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As a personal device the iPhone is great.

Unless one doesn't like gimmicky.

The problem I have with Apple products as a whole, aside from their annoying need to be 'trendy' is that they lack my single most basic requirement in a product- flexibility.

Of course, I have the same criticism for most Microsoft products too, so go figure.

hardline

Unless one doesn't like gimmicky.

The problem I have with Apple products as a whole, aside from their annoying need to be 'trendy' is that they lack my single most basic requirement in a product- flexibility.

Of course, I have the same criticism for most Microsoft products too, so go figure.

i have been really happy with all of HTC's phones i got the blackjack2 and its a piece of crap scroll wheel broke after 3 months and evertime i call to get the damn thing warentied i get the run around. i am most likely going to buy one of the 8125's pre tilt that has been flashed to WM6. HTC builds some solid ass phones you can hammer nails with them smt 5600 from audiovox(rebaged HTC) was industructable. now i just have to find a place to buy one of the older 8125's new. o and i have never had a problem with WM

Paul

i have been really happy with all of HTC's phones i got the blackjack2 and its a piece of crap scroll wheel broke after 3 months and evertime i call to get the damn thing warentied i get the run around. i am most likely going to buy one of the 8125's pre tilt that has been flashed to WM6. HTC builds some solid ass phones you can hammer nails with them smt 5600 from audiovox(rebaged HTC) was industructable. now i just have to find a place to buy one of the older 8125's new. o and i have never had a problem with WM

HTC makes some solid hardware. The Fuze is a good phone and it has some of the bells and whistles, like the touch screen. I find WM to be a bit slow, but otherwise pretty-much error free. Symbian devices are pretty good as well.

hardline

HTC makes some solid hardware. The Fuze is a good phone and it has some of the bells and whistles, like the touch screen. I find WM to be a bit slow, but otherwise pretty-much error free. Symbian devices are pretty good as well.

WM gets slow if you don't actually exit apps like 90% of people do. they just hit the end key which leaves it running in the background. ill have to look at the fuze

Paul

WM gets slow if you don't actually exit apps like 90% of people do. they just hit the end key which leaves it running in the background. ill have to look at the fuze

good point, as much as I know better, I end-up belonging to that group 9/10 times...

Paul

lol they really should write the apps so the end key triggers the quite in the current program. i looked at the fuze. it is pretty cheep have you actually hadled the thing. is it one of htc lower end plastic models or is magnesium/metal.

I had one for awhile. It is mag/metal. Solid, and actually, kinda heavy. Pretty cool device, though.

Glenn

I have a BB 8310 Curve IIRC. My wife has a MotoQ. Winmoble is clunky, and breaks...a lot. The BB has been a very solid phone. I've had very few issues with it. My wife recently had to reset the phone to the "from the ATT store" setting just to get it to stop freezing. It has been running pretty good as of late.

hardline

I have a BB 8310 Curve IIRC. My wife has a MotoQ. Winmoble is clunky, and breaks...a lot. The BB has been a very solid phone. I've had very few issues with it. My wife recently had to reset the phone to the "from the ATT store" setting just to get it to stop freezing. It has been running pretty good as of late.

if thats the case she more than likely installed some wonkey apps that screwed with the registry.