• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue 2/25/2010 - Night Snowstorm

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Date(s) Skied: 2/25/10

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain

Conditions: Snowy. Not the powder day we were expecting...

Trip Report: I left NJ around 1 and I got to Blue around 2:30. It was snowing the whole ride over, but the roads were perfectly clear. The snow was...um, well inconsistent at best. Very grabby, soft and just plain old weird. I was hoping to find some nice pow bumps that I could blow through but that wasn't in the cards. After 3 runs, I decided that I wanted to grab another layer, so I walked out to the car and saw AtomicSkier and Toast booting up in the lot. One run later and I met them at the top of the 6 pack along with Kevin..

We really weren't thrilled at all about the conditions. If fact Toast was down right miserable. Jeff was the so optimistic however, and it payed off. We decided to take a run down Sidewinder Park for Kevin.'s last run and turned into the best run of the night. For some reason, the snow was better in the park, and there was still lots of untracked spots.

On our 2nd run down the park, I scored the only waist deep powder on the whole mountain. I was following AtomicSkier's line on the side of the trail, and all of a sudden the bottom gave out beneith me and I was waist deep in pow and came to a halt. As luck would have it Jeff just happened to turn around right before this happened and witnissed the whole thing.

On another run, I took a nice line on the skier's right on Sidewinder and wound up on one of the Mountain Bike trails. That was mad technicial and a ton of fun. I think Toast might have some Go-pro footage of that.

There was nice lines to be had on either side of the jump line and Toast found some nice action in the woods. We lapped the park about 6-7 runs in a row, and had noticed that the snow was changing over to a really nice packed powder. X-ing had some nice pow-crud-bumps to blow through and Chute was pretty good. I saw Gorgonzola absolutly ripping it down the Nightmare bumps. His exact words were "That was Fuxing Awesome"

It turned into a very good night at Blue and the ride home wasn't all that bad.

The drive up had some nice snow drifts. These were even bigger on the way home.
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Sidewinder Park
IMG_0074.jpg

A not-so-happy Toast
IMG_0081.jpg

Toast and AtomicSkier
IMG_0087.jpg

Central Park
IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

That's my line to the left of the Lift Tower
IMG_0090.jpg

Toast in a better mood :)
IMG_0095.jpg

Barney's Bumps on the left of Main Street
IMG_0096.jpg

Nightmare
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Paradise
IMG_0103.jpg

End of the night shot looking up the mountain.
IMG_0107.jpg

gorgonzola

it just kept getting better and better as the night went on. the wind was wipping up some nice knee deep drifts and protected pockets were filling up with snow fast. still lots of chop and tracks to be found along the edges = excellent night. also a milestone night - jr spun and landed his first 3 on lower park!!! woot!

this morning was even better, got there a few minutes after opeing bell. missed moeghouls pasr post last night - i skiied up right to the chair behind him on the six pack, woulda given a shout out - he went down challenge - wrong... nightmare/dreamweaver was the shiznit... lotsa knee+ deep drifts/pockets = multiple face shots, in****credible pre work morning session