• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot pricing - any basis in reality?

VTKilarney

I've been looking at ski boots, and I'm starting to wonder if the pricing has much more to do with marketing than with cost of production.

There is no doubt that there is a difference between low-end boots and high-end boots. High end boots have more features, and presumably incorporate more expensive materials into the boot. But it doesn't seem to me that the difference in craftsmanship comes close to justifying the difference in price.

An even clearer example is a line of boot that is exactly the same between models except for a higher flex. The higher the flex, the more expensive the boot. Is there really that much required to stiffen the boot that requires $100 for every 10 points in flex?

My suspicion is that the price is based primarily on what the market will pay. Beginners aren't willing to pay much, or are sought to be enticed so they will become life-long customers. It would not surprise me if there is very little money, if any, made on entry level boots. Experts are willing to pay more in order to get more performance. Boot manufacturers are willing to take advantage of that.

On the other hand, it could be a function of economy of scale. More beginners are buying boots than experts. Everyone must start, but not everyone will stick with it and progress.

What do others think? I have no problem with capitalism at work, but at the same time capitalism works best when there is sufficient competition. Or is the problem that a cheaper boot will automatically be seen by the consumer as being inferior - even if it isn't.

SkiFanE

I have no idea, but I suspect it's also R&D? I doubt manufacturers are looking for ways to improve the low-end boot, maybe make it more comfy (?). I would think all the R&D would be done on high-end boots - the people that are asking for improvements, looking for new areas to take the sport. So what will the Intermediate skier say in a survey? "my feet ached"..."my feet stayed super warm"... "they were hard to buckle". What would an expert say? "would be nice to have a walk mode for skinning..."..."would be better if I could adjust top buckle to a finer degree....", "would be good if heel was snugger"... etc ...etc... Total speculation...but improvements made to high end boots may eventually make it down to intermediate boots...but all the cost of R&D is basically absorbed by high-end boot pricing. Like cars...ABS was just on high end cars to start, then moved down to all cars... but any new fangled 'high end' improvement is borne by the initial beneficiary. Buy the cheap boots...test the theory there is no difference.

KevinF

...My suspicion is that the price is based primarily on what the market will pay. Beginners aren't willing to pay much, or are sought to be enticed so they will become life-long customers. It would not surprise me if there is very little money, if any, made on entry level boots. Experts are willing to pay more in order to get more performance. Boot manufacturers are willing to take advantage of that.

As a former supervisor told me, "if the customer is willing to pay, we are willing to charge them". And that was in an industry that had absolutely nothing to do with skiing.

Why wouldn't you charge what people are willing to pay for your product?

That said, I've never seen the "shop price" for ski boots (i.e., what the shop paid for them). I've seen several high-end shops charge MSRP for boots but then the whole fitting process -- whatever grinding, stretching, etc. that is required -- is free. I've had enough work done on my boots to make them comfy that I'm thinking that I wound up getting a pretty good deal on the whole package despite paying MSRP to begin with.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've been looking at ski boots, and I'm starting to wonder if the pricing has much more to do with marketing than with cost of production.

There is no doubt that there is a difference between low-end boots and high-end boots. High end boots have more features, and presumably incorporate more expensive materials into the boot. But it doesn't seem to me that the difference in craftsmanship comes close to justifying the difference in price.

An even clearer example is a line of boot that is exactly the same between models except for a higher flex. The higher the flex, the more expensive the boot. Is there really that much required to stiffen the boot that requires $100 for every 10 points in flex?

My suspicion is that the price is based primarily on what the market will pay. Beginners aren't willing to pay much, or are sought to be enticed so they will become life-long customers. It would not surprise me if there is very little money, if any, made on entry level boots. Experts are willing to pay more in order to get more performance. Boot manufacturers are willing to take advantage of that.

On the other hand, it could be a function of economy of scale. More beginners are buying boots than experts. Everyone must start, but not everyone will stick with it and progress.

What do others think? I have no problem with capitalism at work, but at the same time capitalism works best when there is sufficient competition. Or is the problem that a cheaper boot will automatically be seen by the consumer as being inferior - even if it isn't.

This:
My suspicion is that the price is based primarily on what the market will pay.

is totally it.

Same thing I would argue goes with anything. I mean, there is some more engineering costs or R&d maybe but yeah it's based on what people will pay. Same goes for cars, bike parts, etc. With the exception of things like switching materials (like titanium v. steel on a bike).

Puck it

Top of line ski boots are not that bad compared to hockey skates. The top of line skates are ~$1000 now. I was thinking about ski boots this weekend. I was I could find a boot like my old Dynafit Comp 3F's from the mid 80's. They had a walk mode. Full canting on both sides. Flex adjustments with a spring. And forward lean. Very stiff. I can only wish.

BenedictGomez

Top of line ski boots are not that bad compared to hockey skates. The top of line skates are ~$1000 now. .

Are you freaking kidding me? Do they crossover backwards for you? If so they might be worth $1,000.

My skates are CCM 1052 Tacks. Players in the NHL use to wear the same model about 10 years ago, and they cost ~$400. With inflation in the last decade being practically nothing.....well..... you do the math on that conversion to $1,000!

jaytrem

Are you freaking kidding me? Do they crossover backwards for you? If so they might be worth $1,000.

My skates are CCM 1052 Tacks. Players in the NHL use to wear the same model about 10 years ago, and they cost ~$400. With inflation in the last decade being practically nothing.....well..... you do the math on that conversion to $1,000!

More importantly, shouldn't you be changing you screen name to "ProdigalGomez'?

BenedictGomez

More importantly, shouldn't you be changing you screen name to "ProdigalGomez'?

I did not support that move. To say the least.

Bauer Vapor APX2 Senior Hockey Skates On sale now for:$849.99

I was never a fan of Bauer. Also, I thought the original "innovative" Vapor series were cheap, lightweight, plastic crap. Tried them once, hated them. Though at $850, I imagine they're probably not the same skate as 14 years ago.

The Sneak

Oh please
I still wear my Bauer supreme 3000s from 1992. They were a cool $269 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Where did you come up with this?

attachment.php

Wait, that creepy American Psycho picture isn't really him, is it?

Oh please
I still wear my Bauer supreme 3000s from 1992. They were a cool $269 then.

About $450 in today's money.