• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Booting Up in Lodges and Bag Storage Updates

Zand

I've seen different reports from the various resorts about the latest of booting up in the lodge and bag storage in the lodge. I still see some snow reports that say "boot up at your car" or "you can boot up inside but all bag storage is outside or bring it back to your car (Cannon)". And then, from what I've read here, the Vail resorts are still stuck in 2020-2021 with bars closed and time limits and all that bullshit.

In the past week, I've seen that Wachusett is 100% back to normal operations with cubbies and lockers put back in place in the lodge and seating back to normal. When I was there in December there were no cubbies. Jay is 100% back to normal. Plenty of cubbies for bag storage downstairs and upstairs in the Stateside Lodge. Sugarbush seems mostly back to normal except the bag storage area is now downstairs at the Gatehouse Lodge (and some other things which are mainly staffing related, like Castlerock Pub being closed midweek). No masks necessary anywhere at any of them. It was nice booting up inside again, that's for sure. Being able to take my sweaty gear off for apres an added bonus.

Side note on masks...Vermont updated their policies to recommend that any towns with mask regulations allow them to expire as of this past Monday. However, the city of Williston decided to extend their mandate, for whatever reason, through the end of March. Did some shopping in Williston yesterday and can say that maybe 20% of people were actually following it.

Anyway, is everyone besides the Vail resorts back to normal on this stuff or are there other holdouts?

cdskier

Sugarbush seems mostly back to normal except the bag storage area is now downstairs at the Gatehouse Lodge (and some other things which are mainly staffing related, like Castlerock Pub being closed midweek). No masks necessary anywhere at any of them.

CR Pub is only closed Wednesdays I believe. And they just lifted their indoor mask requirement at Sugarbush within the past week or two. So you experienced a very recent change with that one.

Edd

Gunstock and Cannon both have mandatory bag checks if you don’t want to bring it to your car. Gunstock’s is free, Cannon is $3. This system helps assholes not leave half their earthly possessions on a table so I’m ok with it.

BW seems determined to keep the cubbies outside. Really NBD but I guess I’d prefer a bag check.

Zermatt

Stratton got rid of their cubbies in the main base lodge and started charging $5 a day to use the new cubbies that you have to go outside to get to. Over at Sun Bowl they still have free cubbies but you can't leave bags anywhere in the lodge.

Pez

The last two places I skied at, B East and Okemo, I just booted up outside the lodge and left my small back pack outside. Okemo was a weekday.

drjeff

Stowe is back to normal
Mount Snow went back to normal last weekend as well. Still asking for proof of vax to get into the lodge via MOST doors and reservations for some tables at peak times, but the barrier walls that separated the main base lodge cafeteria seating area from the main floor bathrooms and bag check area came down prior to last Saturday.

Frankly, I will admit that if going forward the policy of having to use a free bag check, like Mount Snow has verses just throwing boot bag under a cafeterai table, stays in place, I wouldn't have any issues with that, as it's nice to be able to sit at a table and not have to do any glorified tetris moves with other peoples boot bags prior to sitting down.

For all practical purposes it seems like the COVID era polices ended 2 years to the equivalent weekend as when they started, and that's a great thing!

Edd

Ragged was normal when I went. Cranmore has cubbies outside, and I'm guessing a bag check on weekends as well.

Smellytele

Mount Snow went back to normal last weekend as well. Still asking for proof of vax to get into the lodge via MOST doors and reservations for some tables at peak times, but the barrier walls that separated the main base lodge cafeteria seating area from the main floor bathrooms and bag check area came down prior to last Saturday.

Frankly, I will admit that if going forward the policy of having to use a free bag check, like Mount Snow has verses just throwing boot bag under a cafeterai table, stays in place, I wouldn't have any issues with that, as it's nice to be able to sit at a table and not have to do any glorified tetris moves with other peoples boot bags prior to sitting down.

For all practical purposes it seems like the COVID era polices ended 2 years to the equivalent weekend as when they started, and that's a great thing!
Doesn’t sound “normal” to me.

KustyTheKlown

i love the car boot up. i used to exclusively get ready in the car, then i switched to being a lodge person, then covid switched me back. I'm glad to be back to the car. i get in and out a lot faster.

i managed to not enter a ski area building at all this season until this past weekend at sugarbush. was with friends and we wound up in castlerock pub for a beer and a shot. i went to the black line tavern for dinner and music but that was at night in jeans and a hoodie so it doesn't count

Zand

i love the car boot up. i used to exclusively get ready in the car, then i switched to being a lodge person, then covid switched me back. I'm glad to be back to the car. i get in and out a lot faster.

i managed to not enter a ski area building at all this season until this past weekend at sugarbush. was with friends and we wound up in castlerock pub for a beer and a shot. i went to the black line tavern for dinner and music but that was at night in jeans and a hoodie so it doesn't count
I'm kind of back and forth on whether I use the car or lodge depending on where I am and the weather. If im at a place where I can ski to and from the car and have a pass, I will always use the car. If it's a long walk like sugarbush, id rather use the lodge. If it's cold as shit and windy outside its nice to be able to use the lodge as well.

I hate people that leave bags all over the floor as much as anyone. I just don't understand why indoor storage areas seem like taboo at some places now. Having warm, dry clothes to change into before hitting the bar without having to go to the car and back (or having to leave it outside where your shit gets cold and has a better chance of some asshole getting your bag all wet) is a major plus. At least have an indoor bag check if you're that concerned about clutter and ill gladly pay the couple bucks.

drjeff

Exactly...if they're asking for Vax proof at all, things can not be considered "back to normal".
It's been so not an issue for me all season, just flashing my pass when I walk into a base lodge that has my "vaccinated" sticker on it and go in wothout any issues. even that has stopped at some doors and some Vail properties that I have been at the last 2 weeks. I guess while not "normal" in pre COVID terms, isn't a big deal at all for me. And my hunch is that as the foreign seasonal workers who have been staffing the "maitre de" check point stations go back to their home countries right around now, even those things will go away

Now using one's car to boot up or as their central dining/apres location as many are now doing, that to me isn't "back to normal" - guess it's all one's perspective as to what defines a "normal" skiing/riding experience for them

cdskier

It's been so not an issue for me all season, just flashing my pass when I walk into a base lodge that has my "vaccinated" sticker on it and go in wothout any issues. even that has stopped at some doors and some Vail properties that I have been at the last 2 weeks. I guess while not "normal" in pre COVID terms, isn't a big deal at all for me.

There's a big difference between "not a big deal" and "normal". I'm very pro-vax, yet I would still never consider having to show proof of that to go somewhere as "normal".

drjeff

There's a big difference between "not a big deal" and "normal". I'm very pro-vax, yet I would still never consider having to show proof of that to go somewhere as "normal".

I come to it from the perspective that in the big scheme of things, to me atleast it's about as much as a non issue as say having to show my ID when I go and vote, or show my ID when I am going through a TSA checkpoint before getting on a plane or when I need to show my ID prior to buying an adult beverage or going into some bars. It is what it is. It's the "rules" that are in place (regardless of how I feel about their relevance at times), and the folks thta are there doing the checking are just dong their jobs, and jobs which various superiors and/or politicians/other public officials have decided for whatever reasons need to be done. It's not like their asking me to give a blood sample or strip search me on something like that. Not a big deal for me, even if I don't really think that the theory behind doing it ever really made a bunch of logical sense for the vast majority of folks out there.

And yes, I hope that having to show proof of vax statuts becomes a very didstant memory ASAP!

Reactions: Edd

KustyTheKlown

since when do you need to show your ID to vote?

you have one dr jeff in the voter rolls. one dr jeff shows up and signs. one dr jeff gets to vote.

in NY i have never ever had to show ID to vote

drjeff

since when do you need to show your ID to vote?

you have one dr jeff in the voter rolls. one dr jeff shows up and signs. one dr jeff gets to vote.

Been that way in my home town in CT for the quarter century or so that I have lived in it. I walk in, go to the registrar who is staffing the desk that has the registered voter list for the letter of the street that I live on (yes I live in a small town of only about 8k people so they divide our voting check in procedure based on if your street begins with the letter A-M or N-Z) I tell them my street address and name, they verify that based on my drivers license which they ask me to present, they cross my name off the list as a way to confirm that I am being given a ballot, and I vote. Really easy, really simple, not a big deal, takes maybe 15 to 20 seconds to do. My personal experience with this procedure does make me wonder why there are some out there for whom the general concept of showing ID to vote is such a big issue. But that's an entirely different debate for sure

thebigo

And in NH you dont have to show your vaccine card to anyone. Quite literally, I have been living a 100% normal pre-covid life for well over a year and not once been requested to show anyone my vaccine card. Different strokes for different folks.