• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boundary Peak 8/18/08 #100/100

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Date(s) Hiked: 8/18/08

Trails(s) Hiked: "No ATV Trail" and the US/CA boundary swath

Total Distance: 3.9 miles, 1264' vertical

Difficulty: easy, LONG drive

Conditions: fine

Special Required Equipment: papers for border crossing; knowledge of French would help

Trip Report:
There was no need to rush, Una_dogger and I were now on vacation. We made a lazy start, packing up Sunday morning and hitting the road just a little bit after noon. Shortly before reaching Rte 2, I realized that we'd forgotten all our plates, bowls, mugs, and utensils. Oops. Back to the house one more time and then ono the highway. We took the longer-but-quicker route: I-95 to Augusta, then Rte 27 up through Farmington and all the way to an early evening arrival in Eustis at Cathedral Pines Campground.

Setting up took a bit of time as we have a new screenhouse but no rain fly for it yet, so first to get tied out was a huge tarp, then the screenhouse under it, then the über-tent known as the Taj Michael. We watched an amazing full moon rise over Flagstaff Lake and the Bigelows, marveled at the amazing virgin red pines towering overhead, and retired.

We woke with the sun, then fell back asleep. It was a surprisingly chilly morning, and it wasn't until around 7:30 that the sun's rays warmed the tent enough to get us going. After a simple camper's breakfast we got onto Rte 27, where we saw beautiful scenery and even had a roadside moose sighting. We easily passed through the border checkpoing into Canada and navigated the 8.3 miles to the ZEC Louise Gosford gate, where we signed in and paid the fee of $5 each.

We had directions that got us directly to the gravel pit, where a backhoe was working on the north side tearing up trees for what looks like a new road. We parked by the start of the trail, plenty distant from the work area, geared up, and started walking. It was 11am.

We saw the small cairn, turned right and crossed the stream, then up the long, steep, eroded path past the no-ATV sign. The pitch of this trail, combined with the looseness of the footing, really got our heart rates up. Terra, of course, simply ran up and down, back and forth.

Once we attained the ridge, the trail meandered among lovely, green, fern-wrapped trees and brush. It seemed to go on further than expected, but was such a nice walk that we didn't mind at all.

Then came the boundary swath. The trail put us on the swath just south, and below the crest, of the hill where I'd turned us back a month ago due to dehydration, leg cramps, low water supplies, and a shortage of time. Now we were in the same spot with plenty of food and water, not the slightest bit tired, under sunny skies but with a cool, steady breeze. Piece of cake.

We stuck it in gear, cruised down the hill, over the next northern lump, down again, up through the scree-ish area, and before I knew it, we were at the summit cairn of Boundary Peak. #100/100. Wow.
IMG_2570.jpg

A few steps down the shortest herd path I've ever seen brought us to the new-looking canister. As always, it was great to read so many familiar names in the register. We signed in, then sat down back on the swath to enjoy the great weather and eat some lunch.
IMG_2571.jpg

The trip back to the car was quick and easy. On the drive out we took notice of all the mountain activities in the Mégantic area and how really beautiful it is, and agreed that a return trip for further exploration, as well as a climb of Mont Gosford, would definitely happen in the future.

Back at camp we had cold beer, Cockburn on the iPod, steak tips cooked over an open fire, and the bug-free joy of the screenhouse to celebrate my completion of the New England Hundred Highest!!!

This was a long time coming; I had originally though I'd finish back in 2006, but for various reasons, including a lot of trips to Vermont ;) it took until now, and it feels great to be done.

I think I got the NE100 bug through a combination of a hike to Nancy, Arm's 100th on Baldpate, and SherpaK's 100th on Sandwich Dome, and have had a ton of fun along the way. The peaks beyond the 48 and 67 ranged from quiet gems to dastardly treks, but each one has made for memories that will last. Special thanks of course to una_dogger for being such a great supporter this summer, especially scheduling so many peaks into our vacation time. Thanks also to those of you who provided trail beta, logging road directions, route suggestions, and other kind words.

Next up? Una_dogger needs her 115, and the rest of our time in Eustis will be featured in trip reports and photo albums from Redington, Abraham, and Sugarloaf. Before that, however, we'll take a journey into a tent during a powerful line of severe thunderstorms, drop the temperature about 15°, bring on the wind, brave some more logging roads, devour ripe trailside blueberries, and redefine the "alpine start" according to our own vacation rules. 8)

W00t!!!

And here are the photos from Boundary.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Congratulations!!!! Quite the accomplishment! :beer:

How does the boundary swath work? Do you know if it's all the way across the mountains between New England and Canada?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Thanks!!!

It's hard to tell about the swath, but I think so. I took Google Maps in satellite mode (or try Google Earth) and in the patches of imagery that are high-resolution, like the entire "peninsula" of Canada that sticks down into Maine where I was, which is just south of Woburn, Quebec, I could see the swath.

Mike P.

Congratulations on the NE 100. Some of those ME peaks are just too far away with too little to see for me to (want to) get too. (Although several of the ADK's i have left fit that bill too)

What's next... Winter 100?????

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Bwahaha! I don't even foresee winter 48 in the near future, as skiing is just a higher priority. :)

Next will likely be finishing round 2 of the 48, then exploring smaller or more out-of-the-way peaks and generally having fun, slowly working on the ADK 46, and someday round 2 of the 67!

Mike P.

I have another Owl's Head trip for this winter & then I'll likely never make that trip again. It will take my kids wanting to do it for their 48 (they have no idea what peakbagging is) & even then I may jt stop at the slide.