• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boys ski weekend

twinplanx

Our little group is in the beginning stages of planning our 2nd annual outing. We are a group of pretty good skiers, a couple of knuckle draggers ;-) and one beginner who tries to keep up lol. As an additional twist this season, one of the guys will be bringing his oldest son. We are planning on a weekend at Sugarbush, so any leads on a condo would be appreciated. I figure lift tickets will be procured thru Liftopia, unless there is a cheaper option for a random group of guy's who are lucky to ski 4 times a year. Last year we had a place in the Glades condos IIRC Being on the shuttle route made that convenient, ski-in/out would be ideal. But keeping our budget in mind perhaps there is something in town that will work for us?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good idea! Be sure to spend some time at Mount Ellen! Also try to hit MRG. And for a change of pace try Middlebury College Snowbowl...dirt cheap, neat terrain, nice lodge and lifts, and uncrowded.

twinplanx

Thanks for the tip TB! I would love to get back to MRG(only been once) but Middlebury could just work with the snowboarders...

jrmagic

If you decide on hitting the snow bowl one day you can get a Mount Ellen only ticket for the day at the bush. Its a good amount cheaper and there's more than enough trails and glades to keep you busy for a day at least and even some good low angle glades for your novice that all can enjoy.

twinplanx

If you decide on hitting the snow bowl one day you can get a Mount Ellen only ticket for the day at the bush. Its a good amount cheaper and there's more than enough trails and glades to keep you busy for a day at least and even some good low angle glades for your novice that all can enjoy.

Am I missing something? The snow bowl you refer to is Middlebury? Or do you mean Mt. Ellen? I have been a member of this forum long enough to know that is where the action is ;-)...

ScottySkis

Am I missing something? The snow bowl you refer to is Middlebury? Or do you mean Mt. Ellen? I have been a member of this forum long enough to know that is where the action is ;-)...

Bowls are great.:):):):thumbup::thumbup::beer::beer::thumbup::):):beer::beer:;);):cool::cool:

jrmagic

Maybe just my wording... Trail boss mentioned Middlebury Snowbowl first. I was just adding that if you were going to possibly go to the snowbowl and only ski one day at Sugarbush a Mount Ellen only ticket would save some cash and provide more than enough terrain for the day.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Maybe just my wording... Trail boss mentioned Middlebury Snowbowl first. I was just adding that if you were going to possibly go to the snowbowl and only ski one day at Sugarbush a Mount Ellen only ticket would save some cash and provide more than enough terrain for the day.

Yeah that is what I heard too. I can understand the confusion though.

As to MRG, it is what it is. I know 'boarders get fired up and all, but there are lots of other places that are just as good or better. I think it is just the whole psychology that makes folks upset.

twinplanx

OK sounds legit. Nothing to get fired up by, just do as the bumper sticker suggests... I will likely have some more time to explore the MRV then the other guys who have wives & kids. I've also been hoarding my PTO to use at my own discretion.
I will likely check Middlebury out if the snowboarders can not be convinced to kick it old school. Hell of place to see if you still got it lol

twinplanx

^ hey thanks! I will definitely look into that. Is this just one or multiple units & 1 or 2 bedrooms?

Quietman

We stayed in a rental about 3 miles from Sugarbush in March about 6-7 years ago. Skied Sugarbush the 1st day with scratchy conditions and upper lifts on wind hold, although they were able to run Castlerock, had an ok day. The next morning all the SB lifts were on hold, so on a hunch I called Bolton Valley and was told that all the lifts were running and they were getting dumped on, while we had no snow at MRV. After a 40 minute drive and barely making it up the snowy access rd, we were in heaven. Up to 2'+ of fresh powder, I never skied in the woods so much before in my life. We would just follow tracks into the trees to see what we could find. I was really glad that I had a helmet that day! We even skied a ways into the night before quitting. When we arrived back at the rental, not a flake of new snow had fallen just 30 miles away. If you're looking for "old school" fun, give Bolton a try if they've had fresh snow recently.

twinplanx

OK after further review 25 Sugar Run will not be able to accommodate a group of our size. Any other ideas?

laxski

If Mount Snow is an option we have condo that Sleeps 8 2 bedrooms plus loft 2 1/2 bath 1 mile away from mountain with shuttle service and a ski home trail off mountain which runs to our place.