• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods Expansion Update Photos

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks nice, but I don't see anything that is super gnarly/steep or any different than what BW already has.

Edd

Looks nice, but I don't see anything that is super gnarly/steep or any different than what BW already has.

I don't expect gnarly from BW. They are good for low angle trees and good snow. This terrain was accessible before but it was a crappy traverse (especially in pow) for very little payoff. I don't love T-bars but this should be a solid way to get a break from the crowds. Now all they need is snow.

meff

So why does something need to be gnarly or steep to be good skiing? I think everyone here pretty much gets what BW offers, but to me ragging something that isn't gnarly or steep has an air of being an elitist.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So why does something need to be gnarly or steep to be good skiing? I think everyone here pretty much gets what BW offers, but to me ragging something that isn't gnarly or steep has an air of being an elitist.

I only mention it because I thought that BW was marketing this as their expert-only terrain that was tougher and much more different than what they already had. I didn't realize that this was being "elitest.".

Cheese

I quick look at a contour map will show that Bretton Woods will never have steep terrain given the peaks within their reach. That said, I've probably crashed more at BW than any other resort. The intermediate terrain gives you a false sense of confidence. A blue bird powder day at BW is sure to leave a mark somewhere.

Off the top of my head:

• Nailed a buried tree branch poaching Granny's Grit, full flip with an a$$ plant landing that I actually skied away from like nothing had happened.
  • Caught an outside edge entering the West Mountain lift line, wiped out 3 bamboo lift line poles, slipped over the edge and nailed an outhouse.
  • Fell out of the chair lift at the loading station at West Mountain, landed on thin ice, broke through the ice and had to walk my wet carcass back to the lift line. Ever get the "WTF look" from a lift operator?
  • Nailed a snow making pipe near the summit of Mt. Rosebrook, double ejected for a full superman take off into a frosty the snow man belly whopper landing.
  • Got over taken by a buddy racing for the fresh I was after then watched him pull an airborne scorpion, land on his gut, full flip from the impact and wind up a$$ planted with the tails of both skis buried to the bindings. That one hurt my abs from laughter.

Don't let the lack of steepness at Bretton Woods fool you. There are still great days to be had there for sure.

P.S. The regulars at Bretton Woods prefer corduroy. Powder hounds know what that means ...

MadPadraic

• Nailed a buried tree branch poaching Granny's Grit, full flip with an a$$ plant landing that I actually skied away from like nothing had happened.
  • Caught an outside edge entering the West Mountain lift line, wiped out 3 bamboo lift line poles, slipped over the edge and nailed an outhouse.
  • Fell out of the chair lift at the loading station at West Mountain, landed on thin ice, broke through the ice and had to walk my wet carcass back to the lift line. Ever get the "WTF look" from a lift operator?
  • Nailed a snow making pipe near the summit of Mt. Rosebrook, double ejected for a full superman take off into a frosty the snow man belly whopper landing.
  • Got over taken by a buddy racing for the fresh I was after then watched him pull an airborne scorpion, land on his gut, full flip from the impact and wind up a$$ planted with the tails of both skis buried to the bindings. That one hurt my abs from laughter.

Don't let the lack of steepness at Bretton Woods fool you. There are still great days to be had there for sure.

Epic post. Next time you're going, let us know so we can follow with a camera.

Edd

BW isn't my home mountain but I spend a surprising amount of time talking them up. I think people would be amazed at how much terrain they do NOT groom.

A notable event for me was a pow day when I went off trail and my skis went underneath a rope and a downed tree (both were buried in snow). Stopped me cold and I did not eject somehow. I just had to laugh at how much friggin snow there was.

AdironRider

Thats all well and good, but if I wanted pristine untouched snow on boring terrain I'll take a look in the front yard before the dog pisses all over it before going to Bretton Woods.

Edd

Thats all well and good, but if I wanted pristine untouched snow on boring terrain I'll take a look in the front yard before the dog pisses all over it before going to Bretton Woods.

I think you've got the elitist thing nailed. See how it's done Meff?

AdironRider

I think you've got the elitist thing nailed. See how it's done Meff?

Oddly enough, BW probably rocks more Bogner than anywhere else Ive been outside of Aspen.

Albeit, more of a history lesson than the latest pieces, but still.

Smellytele

You would rather go to a place that is renown for ice and great terrain that is rarely opened? :-D

farlep99

Oddly enough, BW probably rocks more Bogner than anywhere else Ive been outside of Aspen.

Albeit, more of a history lesson than the latest pieces, but still.

You've obviously never hit Magic on retro day. I guess it's more of a history lesson too, but Bogner fartbags abound...

AdironRider

You've obviously never hit Magic on retro day. I guess it's more of a history lesson too, but Bogner fartbags abound...

Tell me more! You mean Magic is the only place with gaper fools or a long board day?