• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: 3/1/08 (Monster Powder)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 1, 2008

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG (!!!) with about 3-4 inches of pow on top, MONSTER powder on ungroomed terrain. Powder Day # 8

Weather: Snow, highs in the upper teens.

2007-2008 Trip Report #: 39

Trip Report: I awoke to find heavy snow falling, and about 4-6 inches on the ground. Oh yeah, it was a powder day! I gave myself some extra time to drive to the mountain…and it was perfect. I secured my usual spot—front and center, but not before noticing that the groomers were missing from their usual spot.

I walked into the lodge to find the original trailboss and his wife with long faces. “They groomed everything.”

“Yeah, I know. They usually groom at night before a storm.”
“No, they groomed late!”
“What?” I said in disbelief. At that point, one of the machines passed by the lodge. Here it was…8:30 on a big powder day and they had waited to groom our great powder :eek: This was “so-not-Burke!”

Well, we geared up and headed out to the slopes. We got first tracks down Upper Bear Den…with the Meadows in great shape. After meeting at Darling Point, we stormed down Lower Bear Den to Fox’s Folly, where I shot some footage of the crew enjoying the pow:

Next run was down Powderhorn which was amazing. I dove into Lew’s Leap and found some MONSTER powder…we’re talking knee deep in places, folks. It was amazing. I almost got stuck in the runout.

Well, after reporting the conditions to the crew, I talked them into hitting the Ledges. I stormed down Upper Bear Den, charged through some deep drifts, and found the goods. We had rendezvoused with Lee and he was crowing about the conditions from this week. I followed him down the left side and found some more MONSTER powder (registered trademark… :wink: ). Deep snow, it was amazing. I got to the headwall and looked up at what we had skied…amazing. The original trailboss found himself perched above the precipice with the paparazzi below him:

So it was nice…even though Mrs. TOTB found herself flailing in the deep snow…

Back up to the top. We hit Carriage Road and Dippers. I cut over to Dipper Doodle and found some great snow. Upon the rest of the crew hearing that, we did Powderhorn to Dipper Doodle, while MK² stayed on Dippers.

After a break, the original trailboss, Lee, and I headed over to East Bowl for some “Warren Miller” action:

Let’s just say that Lee and I had no problem finding the MONSTER powder on the side of the trail…that was because the trail was not groomed at all. “I wish I had gotten into that deep stuff sooner,” the original trailboss has said at least three times since Saturday.

Well, we were stoked. So that meant it was time to hit Doug’s Drop. Lee and I charged down Upper Fox’s to Warren’s Way and into the deep MONSTER pow drifts on Doug’s. It was sick. MK² decided to stick to the groomers while TOTB, Mrs. TOTB, Lee, and I hit Lower Doug’s. Can we say AMAZING? Worth many more runs over the weekend?

Somehow the paparazzi caught up with me:

Sounds like Darth Vader was running the camera or something…

So by this time we had worn everyone out…and it was time for lunch.

After that breather, I headed for the MONSTER powder on Ledge’s, Fox’s Folly, and Doug’s Drop again with the long boards. I also hit Wilderness. Great.

I was pretty worn, but I did grab the short sticks and hit my little stash up top and a new wormhole…which wasn’t too great. Caveman was on fire…as was Throbulator. My legs were shot though…and I had plans that night…so I pulled the plug.

A great day!

The gallery.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Monster Pow on Poma Line:

poma_4.JPG