• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: AZ Challenge-2006 Response/Feedback Thread

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
wow, no summit HSQ any time soon. i know most folks will not receive that news as positive. to me it means that many years of burke not changing much. doesn't sound like much is going to happen until the development plans are finalized and permitted. i am cool with that. it is also a positive sign that ginn is definitely in this for the long term and not looking to build up super quick and ditch.

This is no longer about a ski area-

everyone has to change their perspective about Burke. This is a real estate project that just happens to have ski lifts in the background (read amenity like the planned golf course). Everything that happens from now on is about that, period. The scary part about a real estate development project of this size is that it is about THAT only and not necessarily the community,the environment, the culture or anything else. A real estate development has no soul,no community and, at that level, it doesn't really matter if it's in East Burke or East Miami or East Miramar.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great answers. Burke is a great mountain. We appreciate their past openness with the community.

Some comments in response:

Dave Gwatkin said:
Dear "TheTrailboss", you know more than I do. Or at least, you're tapped into a rumor with which I'm not familiar. Really, the development plans will dictate lift configuration and those plans are far from complete. I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about the rumors floating around Lyndonville. The bulk of it is nonsense in my experience.
Well, the source of this "rumor" was the informational meeting held in June at East Burke. Someone relayed to me information on the maps that Ginn had brought to the meeting. So it was not a rumor...it came from Ginn itself!

Speaking of that map...we were hoping that we could see the plans that Ginn has been allowing people to see on certain days of the week. They also allowed paying customers are Octoberfest to see these plans. AZers would love to be on the ground floor of this project....I just wish they had been included with the Challenge.

I am not opposed to the place staying the way it is....skiing-wise....just hoping that we still have the same, open, friendly management and operation that we have had for the last few years. The Skiing Management Team (Dick, Ford, and crew) have done a great job and have been really open to skiers and riders input. Open in the sense that you could talk with them and not communicate via "survey" cards in the Lodges.

There's nothing to be afraid of...no need for secrecy....skiers and riders in here are big fans of Burke and are really interested in bringing business to the mountain. That's all.

I think that the 8am program is a good, easy, cheap program that makes a lot of us happy.

I also think that the $39 promo for locals is a great deal....another step in the right direction.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I think that the 8am program is a good, easy, cheap program that makes a lot of us happy.

With me personally this program will make up for not having a high speed Quad to the summit. However, that is not going to attract more clientelle to the mountain. :-?

thetrailboss

Staff member
With me personally this program will make up for not having a high speed Quad to the summit. However, that is not going to attract more clientelle to the mountain. :-?

Yes, I think that there is now a Catch-22.

If you don't build it, you can't attract more skiers but you don't have enough traffic now to justify it.

And as much as I hate to admit it, HSQ's are big selling points for the "average" skier. Many people judge a ski area not by its terrain, but by "does it have a high speed quad?"

thetrailboss

Staff member
That would be very impressive although I'll be at hunting camp. :roll:

I think he meant start snowmaking on November 18th. But there still is a problem in that much of their staff will be gone to "hunting camp" during that time....a factor they probably didn't consider because there is no deer season in Florida. :wink: :lol:

Just kidding. Would be awesome if the place DID open for Thanksgiving....but I doubt that they will. All rumors point to the usual December opening.

nelsapbm

Thanks for the $39 Vermonter ticket! I'll definately be over to take advantage. Would be great to meet up with Riv, 'Boss and/or any other kingdom folk for a few turns.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
How would you like a mt bike terrain park under the Sherburne Express as part of Kingdom Trails, "From the NEK"? Let me know. It's something we're talking about. Under that scenario, we'd run the Express on Saturdays during the summer and fall. We're looking at building a disc golf course, and hosting weekly leagues and a tourney. Chime in. Who'd play?

The mtn bike park would be sweet. However, they would have to keep the price down since it is pretty easy to simply ride your bike back to Mid-Burke. On the other hand they need to think about offering a lift ride to the summit when they get a detachable. People don't want to ride their bike to the summit (although I did that 4 times this summer). Currently people have to pay $8 for a car shuttle system ($4 per car) to go up and down the mtn. and that doesn't include gas $.