• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: March 15, 2008

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 15, 2008

2006 Trip Report #: 47

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: 1” of new snow on soft MG, snow became sticky, and then softened up very nicely.

Weather: Snow in the morning, giving way to partly cloudy skies, and then clouding back up with snow. Temps rising into the low 40’s.

Trip Report: Back up for another morning with the Dawn Patrol. The snow was nice…and the temps were warm. We began with a spin down Powderhorn. Wow. Amazing. The crew is really liking the Warren Miller Treatment!

They even did a “fly by” for all of AZ to see:

After this, TOTB called Meadows, so we obliged…I took Upper Bear Den which was awesome to Meadows and then down to Lower Fox’s. My skis were riding nicely….the last few days they have really ripped…

Next spin was down Carriage Road to Dippers. In screaming down Carriage Road, we ran into some folks conversing in bad locations….not good to hang out in the certain corners folks….

The crew did Dippers and I headed over to Dipper Doodle and found soft MG.

Back up and we hit East Bowl. The fog made visibility tough, but the trail skied nicely and the runout simply sucked. The snow was too wet and sticky….so we struggled out.

No break this morning…we went straight through until the beer lights came on….

Next run was another Meadow’s run and I approached it using Upper Fox’s. I did not realize that Suzy was behind me…and she got a bit lost…

Anyways, Upper Fox’s was nice. We rendezvoused at Darling Point and pointed them down Lower Willoughby, which was nice. Soft, sticky snow on steeper pitches works. Last run with the crew was down Dipper’s and TOTB and I screamed down it….scaring the competition off…

We pulled in for lunch and sat outside watching the Big Air warmups and later the actual competition. After that break, I went back out, hitting Fox’s to Upper Warren’s and then the Poma, where I did three runs—Upper Warren’s again, Ledge’s, and then Lower Willoughby to the bottom. Ledge’s was not as soft as advertised, and I found some ice on the Warren’s headwall. Lower Willoughby was still nice. I ripped my “mandatory GS turns” on Binney Lane and found it slow and sticky…unless you were ripping it up on the edges.

After a break at the bottom, I headed back up top. Greg must have wanted me to ski bumps, because I went all out. First spin was Wilderness to Lew’s Leap…amazing. The temps had softened the bumps up nicely….as I had heard….and my skis were on the mark. Lew’s was great. Met some other bumpers on Lew’s…they were loving it.

Well, I got the idea to hit Fox’s Folly and it was a good call. I dropped off the groomed portion and into the soft bumps. Found a great line on the right and stuck to it. Forgiving snow and no ice…great cover…wow. I headed to the Poma via Lower Fox’s to McHarg’s and headed back up. Took Ledge’s Chute and found more great snow. Wow. Had to hit Middle Fox’s off of Ledges and it was great. So I was on fire….and it was almost closing, so I cut to Gap and the Quad.

Final run was Fox’s all the way down to the crossover to McHarg’s. The bumps were great…and I still had it. As I pulled in to the base, it was beginning to snow….tomorrow will be colder and snowier.

Some big air:

IMG_1226.JPG

Some good bumps…on Wilderness, Upper-Upper, and Foxy’s:

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

The gallery.