• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: March 2, 2008 (More Monster Powder)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: March 2, 2008

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG (!!!) with about 4-6 inches of pow on top, MONSTER powder on ungroomed terrain. Powder Day #9

Weather: Snow, highs in the upper teens, giving way to bluebird skies and temps in the upper 20's.

2007-2008 Trip Report #: 40!!!!

Trip Report: Rinse, lather, and repeat. What an incredible day. Got there early and met with TOTB and his wife. C and S were there as well, but MK² were nowhere to be seen...one might think that they were out partying last night with the Trailbosses or something...geesh.

First run was down Meadows to Lower Foxy's. I spun off onto Upper Fox's and promptly biffed it on the second turn. That snow looked groomed and firm..but it was very soft and I set the edges a bit too hard...inf front of many fans.

Well, TOTB is a creature of habit and I was salivating to get onto Powderhorn...since I figured it would be run #2. It was...and it was nice.

powdh_2.JPG

TOTB and I hit a three foot drift on Powderhorn...that was interesting. Dipper Doodle was great.

We skied Dippers and found them to be in great shape...

We did the usual spins...Carriage Road, Dippers, Willoughby to Bear Den. It was all great...and the snow was nice. The drifted snow was problematic at times...because one side of a trail would be drifted deep and the other would be very soft MG. The snow had not set up...but no complaints here!

Some turns on Dipper Doodle:

I took a spin down East Bowl and found the snow incredible...and that the sun was starting to make an appearance.

eb_1.JPG

I also used to long boards to hit Bear Den Ledges and Doug's Drop from top down. Both were tasty.

Bear Den:

bdl_4.JPG

Lower Doug's

ldd2.JPG

After the morning tour, I got a call from Mr. Ginn asking me if I could check his trees, so I obliged. I grabbed my 110's and went to town.

First run was Jungle. Wow. Amazing.

jungle_2.JPG

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Amazing. Then I hit the other side...doing "Radar Love" and then some action on Single Track:

st_2.JPG

Back to the westside...found a little thing I call "Carried Away" which led conveniently to "Chainsaw Dance" and then somehow to Birches:

Carried Away:

carried_away.JPG

Birches:

birches_1.JPG

Then I hit my stash and then dove into Scooby Doo. Amazing.

I did a spin down Ambrosia:

ambr_1.JPG

And then Dixiland:

dixi_1.JPG

I did try a wormhole off of the east side and it was not so great, but worth a try.

The race was over, so it was Poma Time folks. Hit Poma Woods and then Little Chief and Pocahontas. Wow. No ice or rocks in sight.

I could not resist another spin down a choice line of mine...wow, amazing:

poma_ride.JPG

Only one of three people to storm that line....

And then it was almost 4pm, so I did one more run...Sasquatch to Wilderness, then down Y-Knot:

yknot_1.JPG

Another just incredible day. Pow in the morning, sun and deep chow in the afternoon!

The gallery.