• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain: Jan. 13, 2007

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: January 13, 2007

2006 Trip Report #: 23

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: MG/FG/Ice

Weather: Fog and light snow at the top, temps falling into the 20’s. Sun in the afternoon.

Trip Report: I went to bed with visions of Sugarplums dancing in my head….and the thought of some cold temps and fresh snow. I woke to find something different….it was r&*^ing at my folk’s house at 7:00am :( :angry: and as I left I heard that it was 39 F in town and 27 F at the summit of the mountain…so there was still hope. But as I pulled into MidBurke, I was greeted with fog and less snowpack than on Friday.

I met up with the_original_trailboss and the Dawn Patrol. Word had it that there was rain even at the mountain. So we were expecting softer snow. Well, it was soft at some point, but the snow had set up after they had groomed it. So it was quite fast and firm, as we say in the industry :wink:

We did four runs—three down the Dipper and one down a firm Willoughby. Lower Dipper had soft snow on the left side, but it was getting firm by 10am because of the cold N wind. Willoughby had pretty much frozen in the wind. There were about 8 or 9 of us locals skiing for this first couple hours and it was fun.

After having a hot chocolate and saying hello to some other locals, including the MidBurke Café manager, Melissa, who was glad to be back at work after being laid off for midweek shifts (due to lack of snow), I said good bye to the_original_trailboss and his crew and headed to the base. All indications were that the crew did at least a run or two more.

I met Ms. Trailboss at a little after 10am. I had warned her about the icing, but she had already gotten on the road. She was :eek: and :D with the lodge and the new HSQ. We did Bunker Hill and Dashney Mile before heading to the top to do a run down Dipper’s and two down Willoughby. It was a bit softer than it was at 8am and we were thrilled to be out.

After lunch, we headed back out and to the top for a couple more summit runs. After seeing it was icing up, we did a few runs on the Poma and then headed to the bottom for some fun runs in the terrain park before calling it quits.

Not many people on the slopes at all. Sad to see. More elbow room, but the mountain needs some business.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I must have just missed you in there somewhere on Saturday. I was running laps on the Willoughby all day. It was rather firm (see icy) all day long and not all that fun on my dull skis :roll: Lower willoughby was especially tricky as I got a little nervous a few times when my skis couldn't grab anything to turn on. I'm sure Sunday and yesterday were better. I made a really bad choice in days to ski :(

Warp Daddy

Yeah I skied Whiteface saturday and it was fugly. low visibility , sheets of ice like tectonic plates then brownish glop at the bottom yuk --waste of time and $$

thetrailboss

Staff member
I only did the summit from 8-10am or so...and then after only a couple spins because of the bad conditions.