• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burlington VT Dinner Recomendations

xwhaler

Wife and I are doing our annual 3 night getaway (sans child) this wknd staying in Essex Friday night-Monday. One of the nights we'll go out to dinner in Burlington.
The past 2 yrs we've done American Flatbread as the beers are great and the pizza is tremendous. We love it there so most likely will go back but wanted thoughts from others who know the area better than us?

Last yr we went on a Sat night and the wait was close to an hour but with UVM on Spring Break I wonder how busy it will be this wknd up in town.
We may go Sunday night anyways thinking it may be more quiet.

Don't need anything too fancy, just good solid food with good beer list is our speed.

buellski

Juniper's at Hotel Vermont is really good. If you like poutine, order it here! It's pretty much a complete meal for two. Plus they have Heady! Vermont Pub and Brewery is another good option.

mikec142

Had a very enjoyable meal at Farmhouse. Great beers too. Also, if you're looking at very casual, Folino's in Shelburne makes insane pizzas and Fiddlehead Brewery shares the same building.

Puck it

The diner up on the hill in Winooski has some great food homestyle food. But it is a diner.

HowieT2

I've heard great things about farmhouse, but we've tried numerous times, in winter and summer, to get in there without advance reservations and have not been successful. so make reservations if u want to go.

also, downtown but off the beaten path is a place called the daily planet (I think) where we had a great meal.

HowieT2

oh and also, the american flatbread in burlington is good, but the original in waitsfield is much better, IMHO.

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Sweetwaters on Church St is very good as well with a good beer selection. As people said, Farmhouse is great but busy. Leunig's is on the fancier side and more expensive but the food is excellent, was just there last weekend. Since you are sans child this would be a nice choice I think for a night out with the lady that still wont break the bank.

For something different you can try Skinny Pancake. Awesome crepes. I think they have beer? Edit: Yes they have a good VT beer selection!

Church St has lots of excellent places to be honest. Bad ones dont last. Good beer is found almost everywhere in VT I have found.

Also, grab a good beer at Vermont Ale House on 108 if you are skiing Stowe/Smuggs. Awesome selection. For a killer sandwich in Essex, to to Martone's!! Great to bring for lunch (just get the vermonter). Like Thai food? Suhko Thai in Essex is great, over by the outlets/movie theater/Hannafords.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Farmhouse and American Flatbread are favorites for sure. The Shanty has good seafood. For Italian, go to Juniors in Colchester/Winooski.

xwhaler

Like Thai food? Suhko Thai in Essex is great, over by the outlets/movie theater/Hannafords.

I actually saw this place get great reviews on Yelp and its right across from where we are staying at The Essex Resort. We may do takeout from there one of the nights. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

bzrperfspec77

Had a very enjoyable meal at Farmhouse. Great beers too. Also, if you're looking at very casual, Folino's in Shelburne makes insane pizzas and Fiddlehead Brewery shares the same building.

Agreed, you can't beat walking over to Fiddlehead and getting one of their IPA's with Folino's pies. Yum

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
You are right around the corner from my friends house. Definitely get some food from there!

Also, take 15 down into Jerico and the is place on the right called Fields. Also a good option for food.

mikec142

One more thought...I know it's not Burlington, but in Waterbury on the way to Sugarbush is a place called Prohibition Pig. I haven't eaten there, but I've passed by a couple of times and looked at the menu. This place has my name written all over it!!!!

TRWstock

Prohibition Pig is fantastic, amazing beer selection and great southern comfort BBQ food. Also great is Trattoria Delia in Burlington - a bit pricey, but excellent Italian food. Also Leunigs is a great meal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

I actually saw this place get great reviews on Yelp and its right across from where we are staying at The Essex Resort. We may do takeout from there one of the nights. Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Went here last night and a mixed bag. Appetizers pretty bland/not much better than microwave quality frozen apps to be honest. Split a curry noodle bowl for the entree that was very good. Its BYOB so a good value if u are in the area it's probably worth checking out but I'd skip the apps

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you want redemption for sub par Asian cuisine, I'd recommend A Single Pebble. It's just a good, there's just more competition today, but when I was a student at UVM in the late 90s, A Single Pebble was considered by many to be the best overall restaurant in Burlington. The Fried Green Beans are a must.

xwhaler

Just finished our 3rd straight annual great dinner at flatbread. Always an awesome pie

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Went here last night and a mixed bag. Appetizers pretty bland/not much better than microwave quality frozen apps to be honest. Split a curry noodle bowl for the entree that was very good. Its BYOB so a good value if u are in the area it's probably worth checking out but I'd skip the apps

I have been there a handful of times and only gotten entree's so I guess I will keep doing that! Glad it was still a good experience.