• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

AdironRider

Three? So now you know it was only three? Lets say it's your grandmother being harressed. Just picture in your mind, a bunch of people coming up to your grandmother and cursing her out at her place of business and even around town. Well, we know how she can at least get it to stop when she goes to work. What would you suggest she do?

But you're right this is 2012. However she didn't ban them in 2012, it was like 20 years ago. My gut says she would have come around and unbanned them by now. Times have indeed changed. Unfortunatly I think it will take a lot longer for the co-op.

Thats what the article said, that I believe you tried to school me with.

If it were my Grandmother, both her and I would just shake our heads at how petty some people can be, you know like most normal adults who have their emotions in check.

I would suggest she grow some thicker skin. Being called out for a controversial decision... the horror!

witch hobble

The framing of it as a civil rights issue is laughable, regardless of your opinion of her decision. Rosa Parks wouldn't have been able to go switch to a white woman outfit in order to ride in the front of the bus.

They went co-op in the mid 90s and voted to continue the snowboard ban. I've said it before and Ill say it again: in 1995 there was perceived to be a very real threat that snowboarding was going to "take over skiing" in popularity. I'm talking in the immediately pre "shaped ski" era. Skiing was stagnant as all hell and for the country club crowd in many minds. Riding was skyrocketing in popularity and bringing new (and potentially "undesirable") people into the mix. They voted in a very reactionary way, and Vermonters and Verwannabes are a stubborn lot. I don't expect the policy to change any time soon. They don't seem to be hurting too bad or anything.

That bumper sticker is so iconic that it is practically begging to be parodied.

Snowboarding's real strong growth period lined up with the tech boom. Young adults with decent paying jobs had some cash to blow.

Last edited:

snowmonster

Funny. Based on the story of the now legendary confrontation between the boarders and Betsy Pratt, apparently the racist/cvil rights line of argument was there at the creation. Wow! I always heard about this incident but never had the dialog filled in until now.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Good history lesson!

I had the understanding that shareholders vote each year and it has always still come up majority favor for no snowboarders.
There is a shareholders meeting but it doesn't come up to vote much at all. I've been a shareholder for about a half dozen years or so now and it has never even been discussed at the annual meetings I've been to, let alone voted on.

Regarding the Poach it if You Can stickers, I believe those started circulating when a group of boarders staged an earned run right down Chute/Liftline on the morning when the refurbished Single was given an opening ceremony. The boarders planned to disrupt the ceremony and make a point but MRG skiers and management took it as good fun. I recall one guy setup a saw at the bottom of the Single and offered to split boards into skis for free. :)

Any ways, current policy is boarders can always earn their turns. MRG also offers free rentals for boarders that show up wanting to ride but not knowing the policy.

jaytrem

Thats what the article said, that I believe you tried to school me with.

That was just one incident, by far the most famous. But there were others.

Hey, any chance I can get your grandmothers phone number? I'd love to prank call her all hours of the night. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.

HowieT2

Im agnostic as to the snowboard at mrg issue, but it seems to me that if you knowingly poach where you are not welcome, you have no right to complain about being met with scorn and derision. Its not like there isnt a snowboard friendly hill just south of mrg. Just sayin.

AdironRider

The framing of it as a civil rights issue is laughable, regardless of your opinion of her decision. Rosa Parks wouldn't have been able to go switch to a white woman outfit in order to ride in the front of the bus.

They went co-op in the mid 90s and voted to continue the snowboard ban. I've said it before and Ill say it again: in 1995 there was perceived to be a very real threat that snowboarding was going to "take over skiing" in popularity. I'm talking in the immediately pre "shaped ski" era. Skiing was stagnant as all hell and for the country club crowd in many minds. Riding was skyrocketing in popularity and bringing new (and potentially "undesirable") people into the mix. They voted in a very reactionary way, and Vermonters and Verwannabes are a stubborn lot. I don't expect the policy to change any time soon. They don't seem to be hurting too bad or anything.

That bumper sticker is so iconic that it is practically begging to be parodied.

Snowboarding's real strong growth period lined up with the tech boom. Young adults with decent paying jobs had some cash to blow.

Since when have I compared it to civil rights outside of some snide remarks made by a small proportion of their clientel. Just using the word segregation does not automatically make it a race issue, to be clear.

witch hobble

Since when have I compared it to civil rights outside of some snide remarks made by a small proportion of their clientel. Just using the word segregation does not automatically make it a race issue, to be clear.

Settle down, Beavis. I didn't single you out. The article in the link has the alleged offender's remarking about what "..what it feels like to be a n***** in the 50s". And in many MRG boarder ban threads the false equivilency comes up. All you did was provide a story that supports that narrative.

dmc

I feel like if there was a place that was snowboard only I wouldn't really have an issue with it, it's just a schtick in some ways.

nobody wants that...
I just want to ride my snowboard with my friends that alpine and telemark.. No schtick...

I've skied MRG a long time ago(80's) and Telemark skied there a few years back at the NATO thing..

My buddy who rides but doesn't tele was at the Bush and took a shuttle over to MRG to hang out with us at the NATO party..
He took some abuse walking up to MRG to stash his deck on the ski rack... I couldn't believe what i heard from some of those MRG guys..
just doesn't make sense to me.. People were really nasty -making threats about his board... We actually took it to the car because we were afraid of what may happen...

dmc

Settle down, Beavis. I didn't single you out. The article in the link has the alleged offender's remarking about what "..what it feels like to be a n***** in the 50s". And in many MRG boarder ban threads the false equivilency comes up. All you did was provide a story that supports that narrative.

It is segregation/exclusion.. But saying it's tantamount to Selma Alabama in 1966 is not cool...

But it's legal because it's private.. Like the golf clubs that don't allow women or black people..

witch hobble

It is segregation/exclusion.. But saying it's tantamount to Selma Alabama in 1966 is not cool...

But it's legal because it's private.. Like the golf clubs that don't allow women or black people..

Absolutely agree it is segregation. But I think it is more like a golf club that wants me to go home and put on a collared shirt in order to tee off.

dmc

Absolutely agree it is segregation. But I think it is more like a golf club that wants me to go home and put on a collared shirt in order to tee off.

not really valid...
Everyone can put a collared shirt on but not everyone can alpine or telemark..

HowieT2

not really valid...
Everyone can put a collared shirt on but not everyone can alpine or telemark..

but its like any other private club or religious organization, they can set their own rules.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
What about this .... what if I want to go golfing but I want to play with a frisbee instead of clubs. Could I do that?

witch hobble

Admittedly, I can put on a collared shirt easy enough. But watching me play golf might not be too different than watching a snowboarder take advantage of the free rental voucher and give skiing a shot at MRG.

Then the person is there, not being excluded by the institution, with the potential to enjoy themself. The actions of individuals at the institution towards the new person is more difficult to predict and control, but you have to assume that a certain % of the population are jagoffs anyway, even alpine and (gasp!) telemarkers.

AdironRider

Admittedly, I can put on a collared shirt easy enough. But watching me play golf might not be too different than watching a snowboarder take advantage of the free rental voucher and give skiing a shot at MRG.

Then the person is there, not being excluded by the institution, with the potential to enjoy themself. The actions of individuals at the institution towards the new person is more difficult to predict and control, but you have to assume that a certain % of the population are jagoffs anyway, even alpine and (gasp!) telemarkers.

I think DMC and I are arguing that MRG is kind of the hangout for a bunch of assholes. When was the last time you really saw snowboarder hate anywhere else other than ultimately in jest?

To you and Jay etc that are just chalking it up to "hey there are dbags everywhere" have your blinders on. It starts with ownership, and their clientel continues the process.

dmc

I think DMC and I are arguing that MRG is kind of the hangout for a bunch of assholes. When was the last time you really saw snowboarder hate anywhere else other than ultimately in jest?

To you and Jay etc that are just chalking it up to "hey there are dbags everywhere" have your blinders on. It starts with ownership, and their clientel continues the process.

not really... I'm saying there were a couple assholes... I've heard snowboarders "dis" skiers too...
I don't think it's prevalent - but I do think at MRG people feel more comfortable laying into a snowboarder...

Everyone accepted us during the party atMRG... And we even did some drunken snowboarding/telemarking after the party ended..