• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

Bene288

I think it's sought after by riders because it's banned. I haven't made it to MRG yet so I don't know how appealing the terrain would be to snowboarders.

It seems at the time of the ban that they were threatened by the whole snowboard culture. It was something different at the time, and people are afraid of things that are out of the norm. It's all blended now, snowboarders occupy at least 50% of hills. I find just as many assholes on skis as I do snowboards.

I'm assuming the majority of MRG people that favor the ban still use the whole "well snowboards scrape the snow off" excuse. As far as I'm concerned that's bull. An advanced snowboarder won't ruin the terrain, the beginner that snowplows the whole way does. A beginner on skis does the same exact thing. If its an expert mountain that won't see all that many beginners then where is the threat?

It sounds like there are a bunch of snobs that want to maintain their '60's Northeast ski area' persona because that's what they grew up with. However my generation grew up with skiers and boarders learning and riding together. I think that's where the dispute lies. I'd like to see the ban lifted eventually. The ski and snowboard culture is the same thing now. There's no reason to exclude anyone. However I don't think the poaching movement helps at all. It reinforces the whole "rebellious punk snowboarder" persona that some of the MRG people were most likely afraid of in the first place. As long as you have boarders saying "Screw it, I'll ride it even if I'm banned", then MRG will feel threatened and the ban will continue.

dmc

I think it's sought after by riders because it's banned. I haven't made it to MRG yet so I don't know how appealing the terrain would be to snowboarders.

You couldn't be more wrong and stereotypical..

MRG has great steep tree terrain - many of us riders - just like many skiers - really enjoy this type of terrain and seek it out.

vdk03

All this talk about snowboarders not liking the mtn because of the traverses and flats is bs. Any decent snowboarded can handle the traverse. All it takes is knowledge of the mtn, once you do it once you know how to manage your speed. Me and most of the snowboarders I ride with can more than keep up with any skiers traverses included.

Bene288

You couldn't be more wrong and stereotypical..

MRG has great steep tree terrain - many of us riders - just like many skiers - really enjoy this type of terrain and seek it out.

I'm not being stereotypical. I'm stating what humans have been acting on since long before you or I were around.

You're obviously a good snowboarder, and have a desire to go challenge yourself at a hill that suits your skill level. What I'm saying is that I've seen people with "poach it if you can" stickers on their boards and helmets. Some of them can hardly make it down an intermediate trail. Do they have any reason to poach MRG? Absolutely not, they're just on the bandwagon.The majority of people want to be unique and no one wants to conform to what a higher authority says. Humans are naturally rebellious. It's how new countries, governments, religions etc were formed.

BenedictGomez

What about this .... what if I want to go golfing but I want to play with a frisbee instead of clubs. Could I do that?

This was the exact example I was going to give, it's the most similar. Folks that play frisbee golf after the golf course closes in the winter, you dont see them ******* that the golf course "bans" them. MRG is private. Case closed and move along, nothing to see here, please disperse.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm not being stereotypical. I'm stating what humans have been acting on since long before you or I were around.

You're obviously a good snowboarder, and have a desire to go challenge yourself at a hill that suits your skill level. What I'm saying is that I've seen people with "poach it if you can" stickers on their boards and helmets. Some of them can hardly make it down an intermediate trail. Do they have any reason to poach MRG? Absolutely not, they're just on the bandwagon.The majority of people want to be unique and no one wants to conform to what a higher authority says. Humans are naturally rebellious. It's how new countries, governments, religions etc were formed.
I've seen intermediate skiers hardly able to hack their way down MRG and love every minute of it. Birdland is full of beginners. What is your point here?

dmc

Don't judge MRG until you've skied it...
It's a great place that everyone wants to enjoy.. For many reasons...

You really enjoy speaking for others that you don't represent - don't you?

Cannonball

As someone here pointed out, they don't exclude snowboarders....just snowboards. I had had never looked at it that way, but it really is brilliant!!! Burton is missing the point with the "poach it if you can" campaign. What they really need is a "Side-slip it if you can" campaign. It would make for a great event. Skier-for-a-day. Everyone can rent skis and side-slip the whole mountain. MRG and their skiing regulars won't mind because they all know that skis can't ruin conditions like snowboards can. It would be a fun, bonding experience and everyone will get to enjoy the mountain together without any silly, spiteful exclusion.

dmc

As someone here pointed out, they don't exclude snowboarders....just snowboards.

We are one and the same.. Snowboarding is our life - it's what we do - it's our essence.. Like a horse and a rider.. Or a biker with his Harley..

You are a Skier - it's who you are.
I am a snowboarder - it's who I am.

What they really need is a "Side-slip it if you can" campaign. It would make for a great event. Skier-for-a-day. Everyone can rent skis and side-slip the whole mountain. MRG and their skiing regulars won't mind because they all know that skis can't ruin conditions like snowboards can. It would be a fun, bonding experience and everyone will get to enjoy the mountain together without any silly, spiteful exclusion.

If snowboards do so much damage then how are the secondary trails at MRG skied off when there are no snowboards?
Sidslipping is for beginners.. I rip a mountain from top to bottom... Save your sideslipping for gapers or when needed to pack avi terrain....

Cannonball

We are one and the same.. Snowboarding is our life - it's what we do - it's our essence.. Like a horse and a rider.. Or a biker with his Harley..

You are a Skier - it's who you are.
I am a snowboarder - it's who I am.

If snowboards do so much damage then how are the secondary trails at MRG skied off when there are no snowboards?
Sidslipping is for beginners.. I rip a mountain from top to bottom... Save your sideslipping for gapers or when needed to pack avi terrain....

Huh? Your sarcasm detection system is on the fritz.

dmc

I'm not a twelve year old girl so I'm not too savvy with them. Is this better ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ?

Or course not.. I find it to be disrespectful and unnecessary ...

As far as a quick smiley goes... Frank Zappa once said
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows. "

steamboat1

Reading the MRG history story I posted on pg. 7 it sounds to me like snowboarders screwed the pooch themselves. MRG was the second ski area in VT. to allow snowboarding but were banned after dissing the owner.

dmc

Reading the MRG history story I posted on pg. 7 it sounds to me like snowboarders screwed the pooch themselves. MRG was the second ski area in VT. to allow snowboarding but were banned after dissing the owner.

yes - 2 snowboarders made Betsy mad..
They do not represent the other million.. maybe some do... haha...
But most... No...

dmc

I so look forward to this thread every year. The arguments never change, the actors rarely do, and here we sit, waiting for snow.

Saddened my heart to see this thread and the other too..
I've been at this since the early 90's on USENET when the battle was real and we were fighting for ground(snow)... :)

But I can't let people disparage what I love by using generalizations...
Now it's just the noobs piling on..