• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burton stickers recommend poaching MRG

Gnarcissaro

To you and Jay etc that are just chalking it up to "hey there are dbags everywhere" have your blinders on. It starts with ownership, and their clientel continues the process.

Yup. I bet you'd get similar responses to the clip below if you were to set up shop at MRG. Starts at the top, makes the douches feel they have some kind of high ground, and goes on from there.

In fairness, they did get some signatures.

"Shit ALTA skiers say about snowboarding"

Last edited:

dmc

Admittedly, I can put on a collared shirt easy enough. But watching me play golf might not be too different than watching a snowboarder take advantage of the free rental voucher and give skiing a shot at MRG.

Learn at MRG? That would actually really suck...
It's an expert mountain - when I tele there I hate it.... Cause I'm not good on tele skis and the good stuff at MRG is expert and the lame stuff gets skied off quickly..

I spend most of my time eyeing up shots that skiers havent taken advantage of but I could easily on my board...

witch hobble

It's an expert mountain - when I tele there I hate it.... Cause I'm not good on tele skis and the good stuff at MRG is expert and the lame stuff gets skied off quickly..

I spend most of my time eyeing up shots that skiers havent taken advantage of but I could easily on my board...

It would probably suck. You're right. And I'm sorry you can't board there. My golfing should be limited to the driving range and putting green ( or to Pirate's Cove really).

witch hobble

I think DMC and I are arguing that MRG is kind of the hangout for a bunch of assholes. When was the last time you really saw snowboarder hate anywhere else other than ultimately in jest?

To you and Jay etc that are just chalking it up to "hey there are dbags everywhere" have your blinders on. It starts with ownership, and their clientel continues the process.

Plenty of businesses run by assholes kickin around, with asshole culture that trickles down. We all know that. Do we somehow expect things to be different in the snowsports biz, because we heavily self identify with these sports and have time, money and emotion tied up in them and feel that everyone should be cool because we see ourselves as cool?

AdironRider

Plenty of businesses run by assholes kickin around, with asshole culture that trickles down. We all know that. Do we somehow expect things to be different in the snowsports biz, because we heavily self identify with these sports and have time, money and emotion tied up in them and feel that everyone should be cool because we see ourselves as cool?

So that makes it totally cool bro.

witch hobble

Not cool. Just common. I'm just trying to give you contextual reasons to try to transcend your bitterness toward a deceased woman and some hippie who debased you and the people you righteously represent.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yup. I bet you'd get similar responses to the clip below if you were to set up shop at MRG. Starts at the top, makes the douches feel they have some kind of high ground, and goes on from there.

In fairness, they did get some signatures.

"Shit ALTA skiers say about snowboarding"
That is some pretty screwed up stuff there. There really is no other valid reason for the snowboard bans other than culture and history. The urban bro brah youthful exuberance and crashing people is just as bad if not worse on skis. And bad skiers scrape up the snow worse than good snowboarders... level of expertise has more to do with scraping (though a flying wedge isn't as destructive as a run long side slip). Those type of comments are just as silly as the discrimination comments comparing snowboard bans to discrimination against women and people of color.

Regardless of how the bans started, they continue because the owners want to retain the existing culture and fear allowing snowboarders will alter a part of the culture that makes these mountains different. And regardless of how you feel about the ban, pro or con, I don't think you can argue that those fears are not legit: changing the ban would alter the culture and would eliminate a unique aspect and part of an identify. Perhaps that change wouldn't be the culture shock some fear it would be, I don't know. But that is the reason and there it is. Other arguments are not defensible nor are they logical.

snoseek

The only thing I have to add is I feel like Taos skies the same and keeps the same vibe before and after the ban.

Yeah, I know, business...

millerm277

I'd think you could have a pretty good time learning at MRG. There's a good amount of easier terrain off the Birdland lift.

dmc

I'd think you could have a pretty good time learning at MRG. There's a good amount of easier terrain off the Birdland lift.

I was at MRG and learning Tele skiing.. It sucked. I found any trail that was interesting to be skied off..

MRG is an experts mountain..

MadMadWorld

I am a long time MRG skier and I am not opposed to snowboarders. I just don't think many would enjoy it. Bird land is great for beginners but unless you go during the week or holiday the lift doesn't spin. Now the trails are accessible during the week but there would be a ton of traversing for a snowboarder to get to it. On top of that, most of the terrain on top of the single requires a good amount of traversing to get to. And there definitely some flat spots that would be a pain near the mid station. The trees can also geared more towards skiers in terms of spacing with the exception of Gazelle and some of the other woods off the double.

Gnarcissaro

The trees can also geared more towards skiers in terms of spacing with the exception of Gazelle and some of the other woods off the double.

See dude, gimme a break. This is the type of douche comment exactly like the ones on the ALTA vid. Spacing for skiers? What does that even mean?

I know just as many goofs that can't ride the trees on skis as I do on a board. Saying that makes you sound like a pretentious snob.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

See dude, gimme a break. This is the type of douche comment exactly like the ones on the ALTA vid. Spacing for skiers? What does that even mean?

I know just as many goofs that can't ride the trees on skis as I do on a board. Saying that makes you sound like a pretentious snob.

Douche? Listen to yourself. You really need to grow up. Poach it all you want, I honestly don't care whether you do or not. I'm just pointing out why the average boarder wouldn't like it. The layout is different then any other mountain in the east. I have snowboarded many times and having to move around on the flat/uphill section would be a pain in the ass

dmc

The trees can also geared more towards skiers in terms of spacing with the exception of Gazelle and some of the other woods off the double.

Sorry but that BS... I'd enjoy the shti out of it!!!

I bet I could CRUSH those tree better than most skiers with a grin from ear to ear...

Besides - how does spacing affect snowboarding? I'd venture to say that I can actually make it through tighter trees than skiers.

this is such a BS thread - I challenge all snowboarders on Alpine Zone to just stop posting in them....

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would tend to agree that a snowboard is better for going through tight trees than skis. Snowboards are typically shorter and easier to make sharper turns to dump speed when necessary.

Regarding snowboarders not wanting to deal with the traversing off the single? I mentioned in the Alta thread that Stowe is a mountain that has vast quantities of side country terrain that requires major traversing. You can literally traverse over a mile out into the Notch and have to make the same traverse back. That traverse is WAY, WAY worse than anything at MRG. I go out there with snowboarders all the time. Only thing that sucks slightly as a skier on those traverses is if you come upon inconsiderate snowboarders who need to click out and walk and don't step to the side to allow a skier to skate by them.

MadMadWorld

Sorry but that BS... I'd enjoy the shti out of it!!!

I bet I could CRUSH those tree better than most skiers with a grin from ear to ear...

Besides - how does spacing affect snowboarding? I'd venture to say that I can actually make it through tighter trees than skiers.

this is such a BS thread - I challenge all snowboarders on Alpine Zone to just stop posting in them....

Honestly man, I am sure you can rip and I would ride with you any time. I think my point got lost in my post. Like I said, I am not opposed to snowboarders, I just don't think the average snowboarder would enjoy the mountain very much. I don't agree that snowboarding should be banned at the mountain.

Hell, half the kids on the freestyle team at MRG ski and snowboard. I think the "new school" philosphy is much more blended and accepting of everyone. I think we can all learn a lesson from the younger generation when it comes to this.

MadMadWorld

I would tend to agree that a snowboard is better for going through tight trees than skis. Snowboards are typically shorter and easier to make sharper turns to dump speed when necessary.

Regarding snowboarders not wanting to deal with the traversing off the single? I mentioned in the Alta thread that Stowe is a mountain that has vast quantities of side country terrain that requires major traversing. You can literally traverse over a mile out into the Notch and have to make the same traverse back. That traverse is WAY, WAY worse than anything at MRG. I go out there with snowboarders all the time. Only thing that sucks slightly as a skier on those traverses is if you come upon inconsiderate snowboarders who need to click out and walk and don't step to the side to allow a skier to skate by them.

The people that traverse back to Stowe from those spots are retarded. I have experienced many inconsiderate snowboarders and skiers in the side country of Stowe and that is why I avoid mountains like Stowe, Killington, Mt. Snow, Sunday River, etc. I really enjoy riding with boarders at mountains like Smuggs, Magic, Jay, and Sugarbush.

I will explain what I wrote again, I am talking about the average snowboarder. There is a lot to love about MRG but the average snowboarder probably won't enjoy the mountain.