• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback death

goldsbar

The posting in the comment section was interesting. I've seen these type of conditions before and it can be really dangerous when the slope of the snow is actually leading you into the woods...

[FONT=&quot]I taught skiing at Camelback for years and am now a season pass holder. Hump was a very dangerous trail this week. The lack of snow meant that the trail had a wide strip of manmade snow in the middle with dangerous drops on both sides (particularly on the right side) far from the treelines, leaving six foot drops to more fast, icy snow with no flags or warnings ropes. Very easy to fall catastrophically. Horrible trail maintenance, lax safety enforcement. Groomers should have smoothed the trail from treeline to treeline, and Safety (Yellowjackets) should have flagged and roped off those drops.[/FONT]

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The posting in the comment section was interesting. I've seen these type of conditions before and it can be really dangerous when the slope of the snow is actually leading you into the woods...

[FONT=&quot]I taught skiing at Camelback for years and am now a season pass holder. Hump was a very dangerous trail this week. The lack of snow meant that the trail had a wide strip of manmade snow in the middle with dangerous drops on both sides (particularly on the right side) far from the treelines, leaving six foot drops to more fast, icy snow with no flags or warnings ropes. Very easy to fall catastrophically. Horrible trail maintenance, lax safety enforcement. Groomers should have smoothed the trail from treeline to treeline, and Safety (Yellowjackets) should have flagged and roped off those drops.[/FONT]

They do blow a ton of snow and a combination of that and skiers pushing it to the outside of the turns makes for some nasty drops. Not sure if there's a way to reach the drops with grooming equipment?With the freeze thaw / rain , once your over the point of no return the drops are boilerplate.
Was there a few years ago when one of the yellow jackets went into the woods.

mriceyman

With these warm winters the pokes dint stand a chance.. tough all the way around

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

I taught skiing at Camelback for years and am now a season pass holder. Hump was a very dangerous trail this week. The lack of snow meant that the trail had a wide strip of manmade snow in the middle with dangerous drops on both sides (particularly on the right side) far from the treelines, leaving six foot drops to more fast, icy snow with no flags or warnings ropes. Very easy to fall catastrophically. Horrible trail maintenance, lax safety enforcement. Groomers should have smoothed the trail from treeline to treeline, and Safety (Yellowjackets) should have flagged and roped off those drops.

I haven't been up in a couple of weeks (will be there the next 2 weekends however) but I can imagine from the weather here in NNJ that it's been really tough for them. Hump is the steepest (short but steep) and if the grooming has been as bad as you say then it would be the prime location for such a accident. Not good for the mountain. At least the forecast is for about 40 Sat so it should be soft.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
I haven't been up in a couple of weeks (will be there the next 2 weekends however) but I can imagine from the weather here in NNJ that it's been really tough for them. Hump is the steepest (short but steep) and if the grooming has been as bad as you say then it would be the prime location for such a accident. Not good for the mountain. At least the forecast is for about 40 Sat so it should be soft.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Steeper than cliffhanger?

4aprice

Steeper than cliffhanger?

Yea Hump is steep, short but steep. Want to make fun of their trail rating system?, be my guest. Cliffhanger is a much longer steep but the Hump wall is steeper. It's a shame cause it's usually a pretty nice trail,and usually with pretty decent snow on it. If the weather report holds true it might be an interesting weekend at the old homestead.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ