• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Canaan Valley (WV)

amf

Date(s) Skied: 2/24-25

Resort or Ski Area: Canaan Valley, WV

Conditions: powder over firm packed powder

Trip Report: Driving down the temps hit 61 degrees in the Shenandoah Valley. I was feeling less than optimistic. Even after climbing up the Allegheny Front on the new Corridor H highway, temps were still in the low fifties. Within two hours of arriving in Parsons to visit my dad the temps plummeted over 20 degrees and it was snowing. Driving back over the mountain to Canaan I was never so glad to be stuck behind a plow - the road was invisible otherwise.

Monday morning there was about 3" of light powder over the softened base. It was as if the quick temperature drop and snowfall prevented the base from becoming a skating rink, and the skiing was rather pleasant. Conditions only improved on Tuesday, with a pre-dawn snowfall continuing throughout the day; probably close to 6" of powder over a firm base made for stellar skiing. If you knew where to look off-piste the trees were even skiing well.

CV certainly doesn't hold up to comparison with the major New England ski areas, but along with neighboring Timberline is certainly outshines Pennsylvania. Now if they would only improve on their slow lifts and do something about those southern skiiers...

jimk

Hey AMF, I was there with you on the 24th, deep dust on crust:) Too bad we didn't figure out how to make a connection? There was only about 40 of us on the mountain. :dontknow: Entirely different snow, but we had good early spring conditions Sat and Sun at T-Line too.
http://www.dcski.com/forum/80252
2/24/14, one of the Meadows runs at Canaan Valley Ski Area, WV
530df3031c636.jpg

amf

Mad, its about 5 to 5.5 hrs for me, about the same as Mt Snow or Stratton. Without question they get some of the best snow in the east, but it can change just as quickly.
Jimk, I shoulda checked dcski! I had scored a free stay at the new CV lodge, but had to use it midweek. Tuesday was awesome - you could get fresh lines practically anywhere during the day. I was sorely tempted to stay over and hit T-line, but work gets in the way.