• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon - 1/27/13

BackLoafRiver

My first skiing haiku regarding our weekend at Cannon:

A cold, bluebird day
Great conditions and no crowds
Can't wait to go back

All joking aside, this was my first trip to Cannon and can now say it sits in the top 3 of my Favorite NE ski areas. No open glades so I can't speak to it and Mittersill was not really in play due to coverage but, despite being stuck to groomers, it was great. I think we skied just about everything that was open. Their "Front 5" were in fine shape. I think the only one we stayed away from was "Zoomer". (snowmaking + a bunch of never-ever's made for bad decision making) Surprisingly, the snow on Jasper's Hideaway was awesome....soft, carvable, and really enjoyable.

It was never "crowded". There were tons of empty chairs and the only lines we waited in were for the Tram. No real wind issues and the cold wasn't as awful as it could have been. (thermometer was reading 1 degree at the base but it felt warmer)

Why it took me so long to get over there I will never know. Luckily, my group was spending the night in Franconia so the drive wasn't as punishing as it could have been. (seems to be around 3 hours one way)

Too cold to take pics. I only have the obligatory shot looking up to the summit from the base.

The Cannonball pub has one of the best beer-lists I have ever seen at an Apres spot. :beer:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Cool, I went last year. I want to go again this year but I'm waiting for more snow, if Mittersill doesn't open I may skip it (again).

Puck it

I was there yesterday. The Front Five were skiing nice with manmade. It was -12 at the summit to start the day with the 30mph wind blowing out of the north northwest. The guns were running on Turnpike and Prolfile for about 2/3's the way up. I am assuming the upper part was shutdown do to the wind was only up high.

One weird thing was they were using the pipes under the lift to blow Profile. I have never seen them blow using those pipes.

I also heard that they may have an air compressor problem which may explain the limited guns going and wet guns.

I did hit another wet gun at the base of Chute. It 10 degrees at the base. WTF!!!!

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, looking forward to my first visit on the way to the AZ Summit, sure hope it snows by then!

Smellytele

I was there yesterday. The Front Five were skiing nice with manmade. It was -12 at the summit to start the day with the 30mph wind blowing out of the north northwest. The guns were running on Turnpike and Prolfile for about 2/3's the way up. I am assuming the upper part was shutdown do to the wind was only up high.

One weird thing was they were using the pipes under the lift to blow Profile. I have never seen them blow using those pipes.

I also heard that they may have an air compressor problem which may explain the limited guns going and wet guns.

I did hit another wet gun at the base of Chute. It 10 degrees at the base. WTF!!!!

So was the top closed all day? I was going to head there but bailed because of the report saying it was going to be very windy.

Puck it

So was the top closed all day? I was going to head there but bailed because of the report saying it was going to be very windy.

No it was open all day when I was there until 1PM. The wind was strong but out of the direction that it was not a problem. It was only blowing hard at the summit. Zoomer was pretty calm.

Smellytele

No it was open all day when I was there until 1PM. The wind was strong but out of the direction that it was not a problem. It was only blowing hard at the summit. Zoomer was pretty calm.

Oh Now that I reread the post I see that it was the guns that was shut down 2/3rds of the way up not the trails/lift.