• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon & Bretton 12/20-12/21

4aprice

Part 1. Surprised to see no Cannon report for Saturday as I'm sure several were there. My plans changed a little as I had to work late Friday night, however things worked out great. Left NNJ at 4:30 am to head to NH and pick up the boy who finished his 1st semester at PSU. Smooth sailing drive up through Ct, Mass, and NH put us at Plymouth just after 9 am. A little internet searching showed Cannon had a nice priced 1/2 day so we drove up through the Notch and up to Peabody Lodge. The hour wait for 1/2 day ticket to go on sale was appreciated winding down from the drive. Wife's 1st day out this year with new skis so we started with a few Tuckerbrook runs. Moved over to Peabody Express for several and took Gary's down to Zoomer 1 time and Tram Cutback for a ride to the summit another time. Conditions were outstanding and it was nice to see the sun. About 2:30 to 3, the wife tired out and the boy and I went over and did Zoomer and Avalanche before heading to the Cannonball for an couple of apres.

DSCF4115_1_.jpg

DSCF4118_1_.jpg

DSCF4134_001_1_.jpg

DSCF4136_000_1_.jpg

Note as per the discussion the other day about shooting for the saddle. This guy was going for it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Part II: Thursday night was poking around Hotels.com and found a pretty decent deal for The Lodge at Bretton Woods and since the wife was getting out for the first time this year decided to splurge a little more then a normal weekend up north. Enjoyed some apres at Cannonball Pub then headed across the street to get the car.

DSCF4150_1_.jpg

Interesting clouds were pushing through the notch and putting and interesting hue on the mountain so I had to take that shot. Picked up the equipment and drove over to Bretton. Started cocktailing and hit the hotub and pool. Decided for dinner to go over to the hotel but heard Stckney's had quite the wait. Said what the heck and went over anyways. Bretton's got a nice shuttle system so we took that cocktailing all the way. Man the hotel is beautiful in it holiday finest.

DSCF4167_1_.jpg
DSCF4173_1_.jpg

DSCF4168_1_.jpg

Ended up getting a good meal in the Stickney's Pub area, a little expensive but good.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Part III. Bretton on Sunday. Being there and knowing it was still before Christmas and the crowds wouldn't be bad we slept till about 7:30. (that's late for us) Had a relaxed breakfast and packed up and over to the ski area and on the snow about 9:30. Cloudy day (4 of 5 for me this year have been cloudy) so not so many pictures. Great cruising with the wife and the boy and good snow conditions. Hit some woods which were in good shape, West Glade was a lot of fun.

DSCF4179_1_.jpg

DSCF4191_1_.jpg

DSCF4193_1_.jpg

All in all a fun weekend, good close to the first 1/3 of the season (Pre-xmas) and certainly glad we got to it before the bad weather this week.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JDMRoma

Wild West glade was closed but Yes it sure was fun yesterday !!! Lots of untracked !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

No Mittersill for you on Saturday? Still untracked areas when we left at 2pm.

Not a Mittersill day for me Tin. The big thing was getting the wife out (she has had an particularly busy fall work wise) and she is mostly a groomer cruiser. The boy and I did several front 5 runs. Boy has the 4 mt pass so we will be returning later in the season (he'll be there all season) and will hopefully get over to Mitt then.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jack97

I was lapping the glades, mainly West glades and Cherry mtn slide, the later is next to avalon, each formed with nice bumps. The glades over at Rosebrook was nice with some untracked. Mount Stickney glades had untrack but had sections that was unstable, I think it has run off that needs to be firmed up. Not sure since this was the first time I skied that section.

I tried Agazzi their dedicated bump field, lots of untracked at the sides. Bumps are still in its early stages.

4aprice

I was lapping the glades, mainly West glades and Cherry mtn slide, the later is next to avalon, each formed with nice bumps. The glades over at Rosebrook was nice with some untracked. Mount Stickney glades had untrack but had sections that was unstable, I think it has run off that needs to be firmed up. Not sure since this was the first time I skied that section.

I tried Agazzi their dedicated bump field, lots of untracked at the sides. Bumps are still in its early stages.

We hit Cherry Mountain Slide as well and these thin little cuts in the woods just above that (they have a name but I don't have a trail map on me). Did not go over to Stickney last Sunday.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

JDMRoma

I'm surprised I didn't run into either one of you guys on Sunday. The glades on the west side were great !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone