• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Granite1

Kind of bummed cannon isn’t opening until 12/3. Love hitting day after thanksgiving(or earlier)
For as long as I can remember, opening day at Cannon was always the Friday after Thanksgiving, not anymore. I hope they open on the 3rd, but I'm not holding my breath. They don't even have their season pass office ready yet as they transition to RFID at the lifts. On their web site they said the office will be ready late November or early December, waiting until the last minute???? They also said opening on the 3rd (a Saturday) depends on weather and conditions. Why not open on the 2nd, a Friday to spread out the crowd trying to get their season pass between two days instead of one day? As I've always said, Cannon-last to open-first to close. Now it's last pass office to open too.

Granite1

Not looking good for Cannon, E-mail I got from them yesterday:

We're currently looking for: snow reporter / content creator, snowmakers, lift operators, ski/snowboard coaches, custodial, retail, rental shop, child care and more. Visit our employment page or call (603) 823-8800 for information on how to apply.

RFID - coming soon

We continue to work hard towards launching our new online store and RFID technology for season passes and tickets. There will be a delay in opening the pass office so we can take the time to finish implementation. Our target for opening the pass office and issuing passes is late November / early December and our target for opening the ski area for the season is December 3rd, weather & conditions permitting. Feel free to call or email with questions, but we will be sending out and posting more details soon. Pass Office: 603-823-8800 – info@cannonmt.com

Current Season Passholders - watch your inboxes in the coming weeks for info on how to update your account, upload photos and sign online waivers to save you time when you come to pick up your pass.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely agree that a mountain of Cannon's stature should target the Friday after Thanksgiving at the latest. Been a few years since that happened.

Not sure what you're talking about with first to close though. For at least a decade they've stayed open later than the vast majority of ski areas in the state. The only NH mountains to routinely go deeper in the spring are Bretton Woods and Wildcat. Typically just one week longer than Cannon for both except for the rare year Cat has made it to May 1st, which will never happen again under Vail.

A season of Black Friday to Patriots day would be what I think they should consistently strive for.

snoseek

I just saw this Dec 3rd opening and it makes no sense to be switching over the passes at this time. Can we get that time back in the spring?

Puck it

The last two years have been late opening and both have been related to poor snowmaking temps down at the base.
12/3 last year and 12/12 the year before. There were a couple that opened early but they could not expand. These two late openings did have significant terrain open though. Still no excuse for this year.

skiberg

Email JD. I already have. Maybe if enough people tell him what BS this is it will change.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm wondering if JDs hands are being tied by the state. Maybe they have seen the historical financial performance in November and said he can't open.

BodeMiller1

I think the state opens a little later than the rest to give employees the Thanksgiving holiday off. Plus, as mentioned Cannon is run as a business more than a destination resort, so if the mountain isn't going to make $.... There's always December.

2planks2coasts

They normally have more of a snowmaking lead in time too. It was almost 70 in the notch til last tuesday. I hiked Kinsman in a t-shirt. I'm not faulting them for a December opening.

BodeMiller1

I'm wondering if JDs hands are being tied by the state. Maybe they have seen the historical financial performance in November and said he can't open.
No question about it. The State of New Hampshire will never speculate like the conglomerates. Look at it this way. Cannon has had the same owner and roughly the same business plan since opening.

Mean while:

1. Sugarloaf U.S.A. lost the U.S.A. in a take over.
  2. You could add to this list all day. The point is N.H. doesn't want to be Vail.