• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
They do shut snowmaking early. Usually its not an issue but this year it will be.

I've been envious of what loon has done this year. I know loon is custom made for Boston but goddammit they run the best mtn ops on nh hands down. I a m-w skier so crowding is not a concern. I may try it out next year. I miss the ski93 pass.

After everything I've seen the past 3 years, I'd 100% be Boyne plus iKon if I were a midweek skier. Day trips to Loon, overnights to Loaf, Sugarbush or Killington when the snow is good and I want more gnar.

Without question Boyne delivers the most premium product in New England. It honestly isn't really up for debate anymore.

But as a weekend guy, I can't make the switch. Loon crowds would drive me insane. I may go Gunstock plus iKon base either next year or the following. Alternate between Indy and iKon to mix it up each year.

bigbob

After everything I've seen the past 3 years, I'd 100% be Boyne plus iKon if I were a midweek skier. Day trips to Loon, overnights to Loaf, Sugarbush or Killington when the snow is good and I want more gnar.

Without question Boyne delivers the most premium product in New England. It honestly isn't really up for debate anymore.

But as a weekend guy, I can't make the switch. Loon crowds would drive me insane. I may go Gunstock plus iKon base either next year or the following. Alternate between Indy and iKon to mix it up each year.
Midweek skier here. New England Pass midweek along with a Killington midweek pass. IKON doesn't do me much good since I mostly day trip it from home with an occasional overnight to the Loaf. Sugarbush is a long day trip, Stratton, why bother... And I live about 4 miles west of you in Lee.

Duke61

Funny how everything gets better with a little snow.....now what's with this mid-season lift maintenance? Not a great look, who does maintenance mid-season?

snoseek

That said, I like the tram !!!
It should run everyday weather permitting. That's probably my biggest gripe.

Was worried that the mitt double would stay closed midweek. It's running so that's good.

SkiMom80

Pretty sure the Cannonball maintenance was planned. They knew they needed to do it but were waiting on parts.

BodeMiller1

Upper Ravine, the closer I get the further away I feel.

There are two ways to ski this trail:

1) Like everyone else; go with the flow and cause ruts and ice. :cautious:

2) Like everyone besides everyone else: hit the ruts and plant on the top and turn in the air hit a pillow of powder repeat... Meow Meow Meow 🐈🐱🐈

It doesn't matter which way you do it both are right butt, this is an easy trail. Here's the thing those whovillians skiing above their pay grade don't realize, you catch an edge and go off the trail and it may be fun....

OR you may be done.

Speed Kills and I'm The Angel of Death

Out

Attachments

• UR.jpg
    UR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

ceo

Pretty sure the Cannonball maintenance was planned. They knew they needed to do it but were waiting on parts.
Sunday they had 3 chairs blocked off with barrels. A liftie told me they needed their grips replaced.

eatskisleep

Upper Ravine, the closer I get the further away I feel.

There are two ways to ski this trail:

1) Like everyone else; go with the flow and cause ruts and ice. :cautious:

2) Like everyone besides everyone else: hit the ruts and plant on the top and turn in the air hit a pillow of powder repeat... Meow Meow Meow 🐈🐱🐈

It doesn't matter which way you do it both are right butt, this is an easy trail. Here's the thing those whovillians skiing above their pay grade don't realize, you catch an edge and go off the trail and it may be fun....

OR you may be done.

Speed Kills and I'm The Angel of Death

Out

Puck it

Sunday they had 3 chairs blocked off with barrels. A liftie told me they needed their grips replaced.
Those three failed inspection. However, all of the grips for every chair needed replacement. They were not available before the season started. They were going to do a few a night but decided to bite the bullet and do all in three days.

Zoomer's gearbox is toast.

Puck it

And Peabody's grips are slated to be replaced but I am not sure if they need it before the end of the season. Those were also back ordered at the start of the year.

Smellytele

They had those barrels on there all year. Almost got taken out by them. Liftie never saw it. I did but was already at the line. Stepped to the side. Yelled at my buddy “move over, move over” - he thought someone was joining us but noticed just in time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They had those barrels on there all year. Almost got taken out by them. Liftie never saw it. I did but was already at the line. Stepped to the side. Yelled at my buddy “move over, move over” - he thought someone was joining us but noticed just in time.
Wait…these chairs were ON the line instead of being taken off? WTF? That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

urungus

crazy … those barrels were definitely there when I skied Cannon Jan 16 and I was wondering what would happen if they happened to be on a chair I was trying to get on

BodeMiller1

crazy … those barrels were definitely there when I skied Cannon Jan 16 and I was wondering what would happen if they happened to be on a chair I was trying to get on
It's a weight thing? This is where it gets weird, the State of N.H. regulates ski lifts by the same folks who regulate elevators. So, the lift maybe okay with X amount of fully loaded chairs butt, not with Y. I'm guessing the chairs that are "closed" are not beside of each other on the haul rope.

It would be too much to ask of the lifties to count people and guess weight. Can't assume human error will not occur.

So why are they forking over $25,000,000 for a new tram if they need....

Because it's a separate line item in the budget?

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a weight thing? This is where it gets weird, the State of N.H. regulates ski lifts by the same folks who regulate elevators. So, the lift maybe okay with X amount of fully loaded chairs butt, not with Y. I'm guessing the chairs that are "closed" are not beside of each other on the haul rope.

It would be too much to ask of the lifties to count people and guess weight. Can't assume human error will not occur.

So why are they forking over $25,000,000 for a new tram if they need....

Because it's a separate line item in the budget?
What are you talking about?

Someone said the issue was not weight but grips.