• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

BodeMiller1

Took this pic January 3. I thought the crackers in the ice looked cool.

View attachment 61094
Never seen that kind of ice cracklings. Nothing more haunting than the sound of ice expanding when you're on it. Also, nice whales. (y)
"If you should go skating on the thin ice of modern life, don't be surprised when a crack in the ice appears...".

Nice shot, there could be a t - shirt hidden beyond FSC. ☠️

AdironRider

I think that marketing guy turned interim gm got a hold of the snow report. Takes some real hutzpah to claim an 80" base.

Otherwise, trying to eyeball a nice spring day to cash in my remaining Indy day. Nothing beats Cannon spring skiing IMO on the East Coast.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I think that marketing guy turned interim gm got a hold of the snow report. Takes some real hutzpah to claim an 80" base.

Otherwise, trying to eyeball a nice spring day to cash in my remaining Indy day. Nothing beats Cannon spring skiing IMO on the East Coast.
This is what an 80” base looks like.

1708437144166.png

AdironRider

I just love the season snow total of 71" right next to their 80" base claim.

For comparison, Jackson Hole, which has gotten over 100" just in February, only has 69" at their mid mountain plot, and 94" up top.

Smellytele

I just love the season snow total of 71" right next to their 80" base claim.

For comparison, Jackson Hole, which has gotten over 100" just in February, only has 69" at their mid mountain plot, and 94" up top.
Not that I am defending the 80" but the base can be more than the snowfall with snow making. As the picture from Ragged shows.

TyWebb

I'm saving my NH Indy days (never skied NH) for March 27 - April 1 spring break for my son. Hoping to have some good days at Black, Cannon and Waterville

AdironRider

Not that I am defending the 80" but the base can be more than the snowfall with snow making. As the picture from Ragged shows.

No shit, but there is no way Cannon has a minimum 50" base at a minimum everywhere. Ragged is also only claiming a 14-34" base.

It is a laughable number for the East given the winter we are having.

chuckstah

I'm saving my NH Indy days (never skied NH) for March 27 - April 1 spring break for my son. Hoping to have some good days at Black, Cannon and Waterville
Black will in all likelihood be closed by 3/27. South facing mountain with very limited snow making. Jay is an easy drive from Cannon as a substitute if you have days left.

TyWebb

Black will in all likelihood be closed by 3/27. South facing mountain with very limited snow making. Jay is an easy drive from Cannon as a substitute if you have days left.

TY Chuck

Bolton and Jay are scheduled for next weekend tho not 100% - thoughts on Waterville and Cannon last week of March - fire nice spring skiing tho who knows with the current weather patterns

Smellytele

TY Chuck

Bolton and Jay are scheduled for next weekend tho not 100% - thoughts on Waterville and Cannon last week of March - fire nice spring skiing tho who knows with the current weather patterns
Cannon should be fine with lots still open. Waterville will be fine as well. I have had days in late March at cannon with everything open including glades but also had days there skiing through ponds and racing water down the hill in 70+ degree sunshine. All were fun. Just watch for thaw freeze days were starting later is better.

Newpylong

This is is a non-issue but the simple answer is because they don't have a winch cat. There is only so much snow distribution you can do on a pitch like that free grooming. Showboat does not see anywhere near the traffic to warrant full width coverage and skiers right is fun as is. It also keeps people off the trail that shouldn't be on it. Wider isn't always better.

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This has to be the stupidest move ever. If you bother to make that amount of snow, why not push it wider? And we’re not talking about the snow bridge at the bottom of that pitch.
Agreed. They did, for the first time since before 2007 build a snow bridge all the way across. Since this is a Cannon Lovers I’ll post that pic to a Ragged thread.

doublediamond

Not to hijack the thread further but at what pitch is a winch needed? I know Bolton just bought their first this winter for steeper trails like Spillway. But at Killington I’ve seen winches on cam on blues (Rime) and many winch anchors on other blues.

thetrailboss

Staff member