• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

freeski

They will not have the same problem with the wind as the do on Profile IMHO. It's lower, off the peak and further from the choke point coming through the notch. Man, I'm in favor of the improvements, but that looks wide.

SIKSKIER

Saw in that link that Echo Lake will be raised 3-5 ft to help with needed expansion to Mittersill.Looking at this pic I'm wondering how much of the beach will be lost.

Attachments

• echodam.jpg
    echodam.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

witch hobble

Still want to hear more about how much less the FSC will be using Gary's, turnpike, and the main mountain in general once this all goes down

Puck it

Saw in that link that Echo Lake will be raised 3-5 ft to help with needed expansion to Mittersill.Looking at this pic I'm wondering how much of the beach will be lost.

Probably drain it in the spring and let it fill higher in the fall. Is my guess.

Puck it

Looks like the Kennedy's will want to play football on it!!!!!! Are we back to the super slopes of thew 80's? ASC back in business?

attachment.php

Attachments

• cannon mitty.jpg
    cannon mitty.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 293

SIKSKIER

Its definately an eyesore but its what used to be there.And it was not cut as a ski trail per say but as a 4 lane slalom training hill.BTW,I have to look at this off my deck.Do I like it?No but it will bring with it much needed snowmaking this year.

Puck it

Its definately an eyesore but its what used to be there.And it was not cut as a ski trail per say but as a 4 lane slalom training hill.BTW,I have to look at this off my deck.Do I like it?No but it will bring with it much needed snowmaking this year.
Are they putting in the pipe? I did not think that was the plan.

SIKSKIER

Are they putting in the pipe? I did not think that was the plan.

Here is what I saw on Cannons website in the Mittersill link.

April 2015The Mittersill - Cannon hiking trail will be closed this summer and possibly longer due to the Mittersill Improvement Project.
Phase II of the Mittersill Terrain Improvement Project Underway

• We’ll offer snowmaking from top-to-bottom on Baron’s Run this season
  • The Mittersill trail footprint will include the final widening and shaping on Taft Slalom, Baron’s Run, Skyline, Ridge Run, and the new connecting trail from the top of the (future) surface lift back over to Baron’s Run
  • A new dam is being constructed at Echo Lake to increase both our snowmaking capacity and downstream flow to support the fish habitat
  • Official press release & more updates coming soon...

Puck it

Here is what I saw on Cannons website in the Mittersill link.

April 2015The Mittersill - Cannon hiking trail will be closed this summer and possibly longer due to the Mittersill Improvement Project.
Phase II of the Mittersill Terrain Improvement Project Underway

• We’ll offer snowmaking from top-to-bottom on Baron’s Run this season
  • The Mittersill trail footprint will include the final widening and shaping on Taft Slalom, Baron’s Run, Skyline, Ridge Run, and the new connecting trail from the top of the (future) surface lift back over to Baron’s Run
  • A new dam is being constructed at Echo Lake to increase both our snowmaking capacity and downstream flow to support the fish habitat
  • Official press release & more updates coming soon...
Have you seen any pipe work?

SkiingInABlueDream

Its just cut back to what it was 20 years ago.

I guess my question/point was this. People here generally seem unhappy with the cutting at Mittersill. (Except perhaps the people involved in the racing programs that will benefit from it.) But then there's the occaisonal mention that the area is reverting towards something closer to when Mittersill was independent and operating. The implication I sense there (maybe I'm inferring too much, maybe not) is something like, the change is not as bad as it seems because Mittersill was that way in the first place.
So I don't get why "that way in the first place" matters. I don't seek the same terrain today that I did 30 years ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like this thread is alive again.

I understand that the intent was to return the terrain to the same width as it was before.

As to racing, isn't some of the widths and dimensions completely dependent upon FIS homologation standards?