• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

SIKSKIER

Actually,wind is almost never an issue on Mittersill.We do get a good south wind 3 or 4 times a season blow through the notch and across the village.

Puck it

The entire “trail footprint” of the project is now complete; we may thin out some lower mountain gladed areas later on. - THIS SUCKS.

o Snowmaking on Baron’s Run and the (“Way Back” Trail) with state-of-the-art tower guns;

o Snowmaking on Skyline, Ridge Run, and connecting trail (planned for fall 2015) with state-of-the-art tower and land guns; - I did not think this was happening this year!!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Actually,wind is almost never an issue on Mittersill.We do get a good south wind 3 or 4 times a season blow through the notch and across the village.

I know wind is not as bad as Cannon proper, but a trail with that much exposure won't take much. I'm betting much of the trail will be without snow and the skiers right of it wind loaded.

JDMRoma

I was on the tram on Friday and the lady running it said snowmaking would be operational on 3 trails. Also heard they cleared out all the blowdowns in kinsman glade from last year.
They were working over there.....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SIKSKIER

I know wind is not as bad as Cannon proper, but a trail with that much exposure won't take much. I'm betting much of the trail will be without snow and the skiers right of it wind loaded.

If its wo snow it will only be this year.That is a race training trail and it will have manmade and for racing they want it hard so maybe a little wind will be good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If its wo snow it will only be this year.That is a race training trail and it will have manmade and for racing they want it hard so maybe a little wind will be good.

I'm aware snowmaking is going in next year and that it's a training venue. That's why I'm interested to see what a little wind does to the widest ski trail in NH when it doesn't have a base of manmade on it. Should be interesting this season.

Puck it

I'm aware snowmaking is going in next year and that it's a training venue. That's why I'm interested to see what a little wind does to the widest ski trail in NH when it doesn't have a base of manmade on it. Should be interesting this season.
i don't know about the widest.

JimG.

Staff member
It reminds me of the Competition Slope at Spruce Peak in Stowe. Looks a lot steeper but the same big open field design.

Going to guess it's more dramatic looking in person.

dlague

That is because other resorts such as Waterville take wide open spaces and create three trails out of it. That is a pretty wide open area at the summit.

WVSummit.png

skiberg

By all accounts, including FSC the trail is a bit homely and wide. However, remember a surface lift is going to be installed in the slash. That's going to take up a significant area and will make it a more pleasing to the eye. Outside chance snowmaking gets completed on the trail but not likely. Already being completed, for use this season, on the other two routes off the summit.

SIKSKIER

That is because other resorts such as Waterville take wide open spaces and create three trails out of it. That is a pretty wide open area at the summit.

attachment.php

Actually,this is a great comparison.The widest portion is over 400 ft and about the same length.However,this is at the top of Wallyworld vs the bottom of Mittersill and way less exposed to the wind.

Attachments

• watervilletop.jpg
    watervilletop.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 195

dlague

My brother-in-law Jon Sykes climbed up this morning and put this up on Cannon in memory of 9-11. They do it every year and Cannon commented on it on their FB page.

Attachments

• 1442006783008.jpg
    1442006783008.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 179

granite

My brother-in-law Jon Sykes climbed up this morning and put this up on Cannon in memory of 9-11. They do it every year and Cannon commented on it on their FB page.

Nice photo, for those that don't know; people hike and put up a US flag on the summits of all forty eight 4000+ foot peaks in NH every year on the first Saturday after 9-11. We will never forget.