• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

SIKSKIER

We're digging deep and taking the whole midweek with four cats ripping, pushing, winching and renovating to get you 20+ main routes with the best possible conditions for our final weekend on 4/9 & 4/10.Pretty impressed with their effort.

Cannonball

We're digging deep and taking the whole midweek with four cats ripping, pushing, winching and renovating to get you 20+ main routes with the best possible conditions for our final weekend on 4/9 & 4/10.Pretty impressed with their effort.

Me too!! Glad to see this. Hopefully they dodge the weather bullet tomorrow.

Jcb890

Pardon my ignorance, but I drove by Cannon today, in the rain, on the way back from Jay. Have they closed the area facing the highway which goes down to the water? When I drove by, I saw a lot of ice and dirt.

Cannonball

Pardon my ignorance, but I drove by Cannon today, in the rain, on the way back from Jay. Have they closed the area facing the highway which goes down to the water? When I drove by, I saw a lot of ice and dirt.

Everything is closed this week. They are planning to reopen for a final weekend. But, yeah, the Front Five (that you were looking at) probably won't be part of that.

Jcb890

Everything is closed this week. They are planning to reopen for a final weekend. But, yeah, the Front Five (that you were looking at) probably won't be part of that.

Oh okay. I was hoping that wasn't part of the terrain they planned to open or you guys planning to go to Cannon would be in for a not-so-great surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that side doesn't make it through today's rain.

Cannonball

Oh okay. I was hoping that wasn't part of the terrain they planned to open or you guys planning to go to Cannon would be in for a not-so-great surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if most of that side doesn't make it through today's rain.

Agree. They may not be able to pull off this weekend at all. They certainly put in some effort though.

Cannonball

Actually I take that back. I just went over to Cannon to have a look. The Front 5 has plenty of coverage to open up tomorrow (except Zoomer). The Peabody side looks decent too. It rained this morning, but now it's 32 and partly cloudy.

Not saying it'll be good, but at least it looks promising for reopening.

Los

Agree. They may not be able to pull off this weekend at all. They certainly put in some effort though.

I wonder if they're going to try and reopen the links (by farming snow or whatever - I have no idea how technically feasible that even is). If they do reopen the links, I assume they could at least have a top to bottom route that doesn't require a shuttle ride from Peabody to the tram. i.e. Profile and/or Upper Ravine to Middle Ravine to Spookie to Rock Garden to Lower Garden. But if they can only manage to keep Lower Cannon open and accessible, I'm not sure what the point is...

DoublePlanker

The trail and lift report lists the tram as closed for the season and peabody opening on 4/9. The report is dated. But it does seem to indicate the intention for this weekend.

Los

The trail and lift report lists the tram as closed for the season and peabody opening on 4/9. The report is dated. But it does seem to indicate the intention for this weekend.

Yep - I just checked the snow report They reopened peabody along with upper cannon and tramway. I'm seriously impressed. I don't know what conditions will be like, but they've sold me on one last day at Cannon!

DoublePlanker

Yeah the 3pm report from today has the middle mtn open. I have a voucher and a 3yr old so I guess it's lower cannon laps
Kinda cold tomorrow.

snoseek

Hell yeah nice to see cannon hang on!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Huh? You're at least an hour & a half closer to K than I am.

Just how I'm feeling this season...someone else said it well, like a whole season's worth of early season skiing. Not into a 3 hour drive each way.

Hey, if it snows 2 feet like a few years ago I'll motivate.

Cannonball

Mountain was skiing excellent today. They did an outstanding job this week putting it all back together. If your on the fence go out and grab some turns. You have all summer not to.

That's great to hear! I never went today. Decided to MTB instead, which was also really good conditions.

It's great to have have both options right now. I love shoulder season. (oooh, sorry for the 'shoulder' reference Puckit. Too soon?)

Maybe Cannon tomorrow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have got to give Cannon credit here. I know there's been a lot of grumbling about changes at Mittersill but let's face it probably a decade ago this place would not have been open right now. Major credit to them for making it work.

When I swung by in March the amount of snow they had was rather impressive considering that Burke had almost nothing. The folks I was with said the same thing. They said that they would skip Burke and instead make the drive to Cannon.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone