• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

ceo

In terms of sight seeing, wouldn't a gondola be better? All 8-10 passengers have a view. On a Team, if you aren't around the edge, you're staring at asses.
In the summer the tram cars are almost never that crowded, in my experience.

SkiingInABlueDream

Purely as a skier I have tosay I'd probably prefer a gondola. I hate standing in trams even if cannon's is pretty short as trams go. But I do agree the tram has more overall tourist appeal. And the view is pretty stellar when you get a window spot, winter or summer. Ultimately I'd probably vote tram.
Damn, I remember first riding that tram as a kid, sometime early 80s. I had already skied at Jay and ridden the tram there but Cannon's just seemed like... spage age modern in comparison. Blows my mind in a sad way that it's now reaching retirement😳

hardscrabble

”Get people back to Tram Base”? What’s that have to do with a tram or gondola?
My take is that a gondola would increase the number of jerries haphazardly traversing the front 5 to get to it. Jerries love gondolas. In all seriousness though, the tram base has always been in a somewhat tricky spot in relation to the rest of the ski area. And whatever it ends up being, the shiny new lift factor will definitely be in effect for the first few seasons.

Last edited:

witch hobble

This is a friendly PSA for Cannon midweek skiers: not only are there some of the large English group lessons this week but tomorrow is Plymouth State Ski Day. If you didn’t know, now you do.

witch hobble

I’d like to see it stay a tram if possible, just for it’s historical and unique value (or in spite of the expense I guess?).

I also would be a fan of a surface lift (probably too much cross traffic) or small chairlift returning to ~ the banshee lift line. And more of a real ski lodge facility and access point for a wider range of skiers there.

drjeff

This is a friendly PSA for Cannon midweek skiers: not only are there some of the large English group lessons this week but tomorrow is Plymouth State Ski Day. If you didn’t know, now you do.
And in about 2 weeks, including the 1st Weekend of March, 400+ highschool racers will be taking over the Mittersill side for 4 days for the Eastern Highschool Alpine Championships

hardscrabble

witch hobble

Skied Thursday. Real soft down low, still scratchy up top. With no zoomer I wound up doing tram laps…..which I never do normally. Avy was trail o the day.

Can’t remember going into Presi Week with so little snow.

Duke61

My take is that a gondola would increase the number of jerries haphazardly traversing the front 5 to get to it. Jerries love gondolas. In all seriousness though, the tram base has always been in a somewhat tricky spot in relation to the rest of the ski area. And whatever it ends up being, the shiny new lift factor will definitely be in effect for the first few seasons.
Notice no word on tram funding from the GUV.....word on the street is we'll tap $25million from Uncle Joe's covid relief package. Not so secret is the millions cities and states are sitting on unspent covid money with very very little restrictions on use. Heck FL pumped $140m into a hotel, MA spent 5m on the struggling Kennedy center, I read a governor just bought 8 new SUV's with the money......heck we might as well have a tram.

Duke61

Skied Thursday. Real soft down low, still scratchy up top. With no zoomer I wound up doing tram laps…..which I never do normally. Avy was trail o the day.

Can’t remember going into Presi Week with so little snow.
Been a rough season and lift bobbles haven't helped. The Mitt stuff (saving the slopes) is disgraceful but you have to talk to JD. Expect all snowmaking to end this week, except any emergency patching, which is typical as there's little money to be made after feb vacations. Maybe they'll send the crews out with weed wackers after this......I'm already looking to next year.

Smellytele

Crazy that it states it is only half way through its 80 year life expectancy. I know it was I talked in 80 but didn’t know it had a 80 year life expectancy

ceo

That's the first I've heard it supposedly had an 80-year life expectancy. Pretty sure that was something the reporter misunderstood.

That's the first I've heard it supposedly had an 80-year life expectancy. Pretty sure that was something the reporter misunderstood.
That is according to Cannon's general manager from the interview on the Storm Skiing Podcast in October 2020. At the time, Cannon was discussing having the electronics and carriages replaced by Doppelmayr in the next 3-5 years. The replacement plans gained steam when COVID recovery funds started proliferating.

ceo

OK, I'm wrong, just listened to that part of the podcast.