• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon, NH: 12/10/06

awf170

Oh, yeah! Just another day of crappy east coast skiing.

I started off the day by doing two laps of the only open trail off the quad. Pretty boring but the conditions were good and it served as a very good work. Next lap up the quad I was going to skin up tramway to the summit, but my plans were halted when ski patrol told me that me that I could hike above the peabody quad. So after another run I decided to duck the rope below the cannonball quad, go down lower hardscrabble a little then start hiking up. This ended up working well, but not wanting to mess with ski patrol I just ended up staying above the peabody quad for a couple laps, which turned into five. First run I did upper ravine which okay, but very rock and crusty. Next run I decide to do Taft which I guess was okay since I did 3 more laps on it. After this I head down middle hardscrabble which okay, but pretty tracked out. I was going to call it quits after this but decided to eat luch then maybe do one more groomer or two. This turned into doing avalance, paulie's extension, and paulie's folly, which were all quite good but required even more hiking. So anyway, that is it for my write up, I hate writing. It was a very good day and I took some pictures.

Total vertical: 14,600 ft.
3,400 ft. hiked and skinned
11,200 ft. on the lift

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

first ride up

IMG_1073a.jpg

Bottom of taft

IMG_1074a.jpg

Same location, looking down upper ravine

IMG_1081a.jpg

Mittersil

IMG_1093a.jpg

Lafayette

IMG_1096a.jpg

Skinning to the top, above the cannoball quad

IMG_1103.jpg

Okay view

awf170

IMG_1123a.jpg

A little bit sunny

IMG_1124a.jpg

Taft again

IMG_1144.jpg

Cutting over to upper ravine

IMG_1162a.jpg

The skiing was okay...

Here are some pictures of a few students from MIT that happened to be up there when I was:

IMG_1167a.jpg

IMG_1170a.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

As you can tell the skiing wasn't too good(they should have groomed it)

IMG_1202a.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
here are some shots from saturday at cannon. my pics are no where near as good due to poor vis, but you get the idea. getting tramway, skylight, and taft slalom completely untracked was okay. :D what i think is really amazing is this snow has remained that good since thursday night. there was a solid 16" up there with deeper drifts. essentially boot deep with drifts knee deep and occasionally you would sink deeper in isolated pockets. if the weather plays nice, this stuff should consolidate for a really nice base layer. if cannon doesn't get a warm up, rain, or thaw, and does get a little bit more natural, these trails should be quick to open up once the tram is operating. but make no mistake about it, there were very thin spots too. lots of places where the wind picked things completely clean and only a few inches covering up rocks.

awf170

Awesome pics!!! how much natural did they get up there?

Anywhere between 4 inches and a foot and half. Taft Slamon was pretty was covered with 1.5 feet of snow, and this was 2-3 days after the storm. So I would say friday there was 2 ft on it.

here are some shots from saturday at cannon. my pics are no where near as good due to poor vis, but you get the idea.

Keep thinking that is the reason... :wink::lol:

getting tramway, skylight, and taft slalom completely untracked was okay. :D what i think is really amazing is this snow has remained that good since thursday night. there was a solid 16" up there with deeper drifts. essentially boot deep with drifts knee deep and occasionally you would sink deeper in isolated pockets. if the weather plays nice, this stuff should consolidate for a really nice base layer. if cannon doesn't get a warm up, rain, or thaw, and does get a little bit more natural, these trails should be quick to open up once the tram is operating. but make no mistake about it, there were very thin spots too. lots of places where the wind picked things completely clean and only a few inches covering up rocks.

It is going to last. This week really isn't going to be that warm. Maybe not great snowmaking conditions, but I don't Cannon will get any or much rain. A little rain then snow will actaully make the base more solid and last longer.

eatskisleep

Awesome trip report. Where'd you end up getting a season pass this year?

awf170

Awesome trip report. Where'd you end up getting a season pass this year?

Wildcat. It is the cheapest. It pays off in fours days, so isn't that big of deal. My guess is I'll get around 10 days there, 10 days Cannon/Jay, and around 10-15 backcountry. I can be up at Wildcat any sunday though if you are there.

NHpowderhound

Thanks for the report Austin. Nice pics! Looks like you had some nice POW.

Bretton Woods was nice on Friday. I would have loved to get to Cannon but I had my girlfriend with me and Cannon wouldn't have been the better choice for her. Still a nice time ripping the 10-14 " that fell Thursday night.

((*
*))NHPH