• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cathedral Pines and Mohawk Mountain, Corwall, CT - 9/24/2004

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: Friday, September 24, 2004, 9:10 AM - 12:30 PM

Trails(s) Hiked: Mohawk and Mattatuck Trails

Total Distance: 6 miles, up and back.

Difficulty: Easy to moderate

Conditions: Well-marked trails. I followed the trip suggestion on GORP and found it to be very detailed and accurate.

Special Required Equipment: Bug repellent

Trip Report: I won't go into much trail detail as the GORP hike suggestion (adapted from 50 Hikes in Connecticut) is very detailed. I've had this hike printed out for some time and decided to try it today along with my daughter. It was a beautiful early autumn day that started out somewhat cool at the Cathedral Pines trailhead. We started out at 9:10 AM and I was immediately amazed by the amount of damage to these giant white pines left by the 1989 tornado. I vaguely remember viewing the pines with my brother back in the mid 80's and recall being pretty impressed. The damage is an eery reminder of what once was, but there are a number of very large white pine and hemlock still standing. Abby seemed to enjoy them.

We then set out on the Mohawk Trail towards the top of the ski area. The hike suggestion mentions a lot of undergrowth which was a bit of a drag as it consisted of a lot of prickly vegetation, wet from the morning dew. Soon we reached an area where we could view up and down one of the beginner ski trails (Ledges) at Mohawk Mountain Ski Area. The Mohawk Trail continues up just West of this trail through an area that looks like it would make for some great gladed skiing. We would just need a lot of natural snow (as in feet), something not that common in Northwest Connecticut. If you lucked out though, this could make for a fun little stash.

Soon we reached the summit of the ski area and took in the views from the Mohawk Chairlift. Nothing makes you yearn for making some turns more than hiking to a ski area in the off season. After enjoying the swarms of gnat-type flies, we pressed on. In a short time, we reached the junction of the Mattatuck Trail and then Tourney Road which ascends Mohawk. At the picnic area across from where the trail re-enters the woods, we took a short break to enjoy an orange and let Abby stretch her legs.

We then continued on the Matttatuck Trail and spent a few mintes at the stone tower. We then continued on the final mile or so towards the summit. Soon Abby was fast asleep and I quickly ascended the summit after linking with the gravel summit road. Abby awoke soon before we ascended the lookout tower which was challenging with the Kelty Pack. We spent a fair amount of time at the summit despite more gnat swarms. Every now and again we were welcome with a nice breeze which blew them away. It took us over two hours to reach the summit as we took a number of breaks for rests and pictures.

The descent went quickly reaching the car in just over an hour. Abby slept much of the hike down. It truly is good for the soul to be hiking through the woods as your 20 month old is asleep on your back! :) On the return trip through the Cathedral Pines, I noticed many of the ones still standing were tagged. I'll have to research exactly what that's about.

It was another great daddy/daughter adventure, and I look forward to many more. There's some road walking involved in this hike, but the hike suggestion was easy to follow. It's a moderately challenging hike and is highly suggested!

Click HERE for images.

cbcbd

Great report!
I did a very similar hike over there that I got from the 50 hikes in CT book. The area was very nice and the tornado blown zone was pretty amazing.

Doug