• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Conversations

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I find the most talkative people tend to be middle aged or a bit older. They usually like to talk about the conditions or how trails have been skiing. Teenagers never say s#it. I notice a lot of kids have earbuds stuffed in their ears with the music blasting.

well thats a good thing not sure i could really have a good conversation with a 16 year old park rat.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
well thats a good thing not sure i could really have a good conversation with a 16 year old park rat.

I tried that two weeks back. He could not speak in entire sentences on the lift. Later I had just exited a chute and he skied up from a groomer, he made some sort of aboriginal noise. I told him he was skiing great (BS) asked him where he'd been skiing, he made some sort of guttural noise and skied off.

Later I saw him mauling a deer with his teeth trailside ;)

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I tried that two weeks back. He could not speak in entire sentences on the lift. Later I had just exited a chute and he skied up from a groomer, he made some sort of aboriginal noise. I told him he was skiing great (BS) asked him where he'd been skiing, he made some sort of guttural noise and skied off.

their devolving. soon they will have big foreheads and carry clubs. people just looked really weird at me on the train becasue i was laughing at that. way to make me look like a crazy man.

SkiDork

gotta chime in here..

I'm very chatty.

I ALWAYS start converstations with other folks on the chair.

It usually ends up being quite the fun conversation.

drjeff

LMFAO!

Whenever I'm working on your standard adolescent these days in my office, I feel a great sense of accomplishment if I can get them to answer a question in more than a 1 syllable grunt (and that's BEFORE I numb them up ;) )

Me on a lift, I kind of read the person I'm riding with. If they look like they want to talk, I'll start off with the standard "pretty good today, don't you think??" If they look like they'd rather the potential conversation was taking place in my office as I'm taking their teeth out "mararthon man style" well then I'm good at being quiet to.

Now if I'm riding the chair with my wife, well then, especially if I just took her down a run not to her liking, well then it's usually me getting the silent treatment :eek: :rolleyes: :spin: ;)

Glenn

you should know by now. Any run YOU pick is a bad run!

I've learned it always best to let my wife pick what trail to head down. Unless I'm 100% sure of the conditions on said trail. :grin:

vcunning

I've learned it always best to let my wife pick what trail to head down. Unless I'm 100% sure of the conditions on said trail. :grin:

From your prior posts, I believe you have stated that your wife is a much better skier than all of us.

My guess is that you're trying to catch-up ;)

Remember: The beertender is calling your name. PM me on your next overnight visit.

Glenn

From your prior posts, I believe you have stated that your wife is a much better skier than all of us.

My guess is that you're trying to catch-up ;)

Remember: The beertender is calling your name. PM me on your next overnight visit.

LOL! She scoots along! I do have to drop the hammer at times!

Cool, will do! I think we may head up later this month...but it may be a week day.

RISkier

We usually ask folks if they're having a good day, sometimes a conversation starts and sometimes it's clear those you're sharing the lift with aren't interested. We've had some really interesting conversations on lift rides.

Skimaine

Like most I read the situation. You can tell by the body language if someone wants to talk. I usually start with "Great morning. Where have you been skiing/riding?" If they are locals, you will get good info on conditiions on other parts of the mountain. If they are new to the mountain then I give them some advice and small talk about where they are from etc.

SKIQUATTRO

gotta love it when the wife picks Paradise at MRG and i'm the one giving her the silent treatment!!!! (all joking, she did pick it and its an awesome trail!!!!)

we both spark up conversations on the lifts (unless they have ipods in or body language says otherwise)

Jisch

Old Steve Martin bit...

You know how some people have their name engraved in their skis (yeah people used to do that). Well the other day I was riding up a lift and I read the guys name off his skis and started talking to him like I knew him. He thought I was NUTS! His name was Rental.

John

rsf0000001

Like Steve I've spent a lot of time on the lifts at Jay Peak so I've gotten used to riding in silence with the canucks. On the off chance you find an interesting person your conversation usually gets cut short by the wind. I don't mind chatting on the lift but to me there is nothing worse than hearing a seven minute dissertation on a person's opinion of the weather.

The worst lift conversations I have ever had were in Colorado. I had the exact same conversation with every single local:

Them: Where are you from?
Me: East Coast
Them: This must be way better than skiing on ice huh?
Me: This is great but there's lots of great skiing on the east coast, it's not all ice.
Them: You should take a lesson to learn how to ski all of this pow.
Me: I've skied plenty of powder days, I think I'll be ok.
Them: This stuff is different than the ice that you call powder. You must be glad to be here huh?
Me: Not at the moment.....

Like Steve I've spent a lot of time on the lifts at Jay Peak so I've gotten used to riding in silence with the canucks. On the off chance you find an interesting person your conversation usually gets cut short by the wind. I don't mind chatting on the lift but to me there is nothing worse than hearing a seven minute dissertation on a person's opinion of the weather.

The worst lift conversations I have ever had were in Colorado. I had the exact same conversation with every single local:

Me: East Coast
Them: This must be way better than skiing on ice huh?
Me: This is great but there's lots of great skiing on the east coast, it's not all ice.
Them: You should take a lesson to learn how to ski all of this pow.
Me: I've skied plenty of powder days, I think I'll be ok.
Them: This stuff is different than the ice that you call powder. You must be glad to be here huh?
Me: Not at the moment.....

Some of my conversations in Jackson Hole are pretty similar..

Me: Pennsylvania
Them: Oh are you a Steelers fan
Me: No
Them: Is this your first time at Jackson Hole
Me: No, I come here every year
Them: Do you ski in PA
Me: Almost everyday
Them: Wow it must suck
Me: Well I like to ski
Me: Want to ski a run with me??
Them: Sure