• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Christmas Crowds: Gore or Stratton...

tnt

Early stages of planning 4 days after x-mas with the family. Between Gore or Stratton at this point - either mountain will be fine in terms of terrain. What I think it's coming down to is, which will be less crowded.

I'm guessing that would be Gore, but have never been, so am seeking opinions on that front.

There is a slight chance we just go back to Jay instead, but I'd like to have a shorter drive.

Thanks in advance.

ScottySkis

Gore wins 420% percent over Stratton. Same snow fall average, terrain is steep at Gore much more then Stratton. What crowds at Gore and Whifteface to, lots of people who know will ski NY Adk weekend and holiday because of lack of crowd. And I am not sure but I 80% say Gore Vertical is more then 2300, Stratton is not even 2000 maybe. Only thing that Stratton has over Gore is village and resort fell. Have fun you will love Gore for sure. Glade all over Gore to.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I'm as big of a Gore fan as anybody, but just going by snowmaking capacity and early season snowmaking history, Stratton will probably have more terrain open, and be less crowded on the trails (unless there is a big early season dump that opens everything like a few seasons ago).

Planning ahead, Stratton is the safer choice, but if you get lucky and it snows hard, Gore is the better choice. Tough call. If it was my money, I'd roll the dice and go with Gore, but I'd go in with the expectation that it's possible that they'll only have 18 trails and 4 lifts open, and I could get screwed.

mriceyman

Was at gore for last christmas/new years. We got dumped on right before we got there and it was a glorious 3 day of skiing. Even with traffic getting into gore once you were on the mountain it was line free.. Except for maybe the gondi which had minimal lines also. The only problem with gore is its kind of in the middle of nowhere and after hours can be a little weak. All in all i really liked the mountain and will be back

Sent from my iPhone

tnt

I'm as big of a Gore fan as anybody, but just going by snowmaking capacity and early season snowmaking history, Stratton will probably have more terrain open, and be less crowded on the trails (unless there is a big early season dump that opens everything like a few seasons ago).

Planning ahead, Stratton is the safer choice, but if you get lucky and it snows hard, Gore is the better choice. Tough call. If it was my money, I'd roll the dice and go with Gore, but I'd go in with the expectation that it's possible that they'll only have 18 trails and 4 lifts open, and I could get screwed.

Yeah, last year we decided to go north to improve odds of more terrain. and it dumped! We were at jay and had a blast. And like I said, we might just go back, but a shorter drive would be nice too.

Hawkshot99

I would guess that Gore will be less crowded because there is no lodging at the mtn. When people want a holday trip they like being able to park the car and not drive anywhere.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Jersey Skier

Yeah, last year we decided to go north to improve odds of more terrain. and it dumped! We were at jay and had a blast. And like I said, we might just go back, but a shorter drive would be nice too.
How are the crowds at Jay during xmas week? Thinking of making the 8 hour drive with the hopes of fewer crowds. Usually head West, but out of FF miles right now.

tnt

How are the crowds at Jay during xmas week? Thinking of making the 8 hour drive with the hopes of fewer crowds. Usually head West, but out of FF miles right now.

They were not bad, but I am not sure last year was typical.

First, we had a big dump, which I thought was going to fill the mountain up, but the after storm winds meant lifts were on wind hold every day we were there, and it was brutally cold in the wind, which I suspect kept some families and maybe locals off the mountain.

The day the tram was running, the line was crazy all day - like 30 min +.

The lower mountain lift tram-side - forget the name - had some short lines during the morning crunch, especially when the flyer was on hold. When the flyer was running, short lines that moved plenty fast. The bonnie had some 10 - 20 lines and was a tough ride in the wind for the kids, the jet was pretty much ski on the whole time.

So, for me - also from jersey - I would call it 'low to no crowd for a holiday'.

I think your strategy is sound.

tnt

I would guess that Gore will be less crowded because there is no lodging at the mtn. When people want a holday trip they like being able to park the car and not drive anywhere.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that's a good point.

Speaking of lodging, I'm surprised to see on mountain lodging at stratton is about the same as staying in North Creek.

steamboat1

Stowe has invested over $8 mil in new snowmaking over the last two seasons. This on top of what they already had which was better than most. I'd say it's safe to say they'll have pretty good conditions. Shorter drive than Jay but more $$$. Buy your tickets on line ahead of time & it's not bad.

tnt

Stowe has invested over $8 mil in new snowmaking over the last two seasons. This on top of what they already had which was better than most. I'd say it's safe to say they'll have pretty good conditions. Shorter drive than Jay but more $$$. Buy your tickets on line ahead of time & it's not bad.

Stowe is great. And I think the kids would love it too. But it's considerably more $ for similar accommodations.

Might check Sugarbush too.

But really, I'm pretty happy with giving Gore a run I think.

steamboat1

Stowe is great. And I think the kids would love it too. But it's considerably more $ for similar accommodations.

Might check Sugarbush too.

But really, I'm pretty happy with giving Gore a run I think.
I'd think accommodations would be similarly priced with all the competition on the access road. If you want to stay slopeside then you're talking bucu bucks.Not much else at Jay except slopeside & that's not cheap either, especially holiday week. Tickets online are $14 less then window. Just saying.

Last edited:

crank

Gore will be far less crowded. Snow is a total crapshoot and if low/no, the big snowmaking resorts will have a lot more terrain open with better conditions. Jay is always hit or miss. We went to Smuggs after Xmas last year and got dumped on.

Last edited:

tnt

I'd think accommodations would be similarly priced with all the competition on the access road. If you want to stay slopeside then you're talking bucu bucks.Not much else at Jay except slopeside & that's not cheap either, especially holiday week. Tickets online are $14 less then window. Just saying.

I'm seeing Jay being a lot less - you can get the ski and stay package for about what lodging only at one of the nicer access road or town hotels will run you at stowe.

ScottySkis

If you can cancel both see about making reservations at both places and if snow is good no rain or warm up before your trip go to Gore, if it weather doesn't look good go with Stratton hoping this is a great winter with not much warm or rain.

Bene288

I went to Gore last December on the 28th. They had gotten (or were in the middle of getting) I think 2ft of snow. It was busy, but the trails do not get over crowded. Get up to the upper mountain and stay there and you'll rarely have a lift line over 3-5 minutes.

Southern Vermont got that same storm. I've never been to Stratton, so I can't really say which would be better.