• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

colorado advice?

arik

I am going to Colorado in a few weeks, have never skied there. I am planning to ski 4 days in Winter park and one or two days at each Loveland and A-basin. I am curious if anyone has suggestions of trails to ski at any of this areas. I like wide spaced trees a lot but also steeps, bumps, groomed trails, but not cliffs. I appreciate any suggestions but am not really open to driving farther in on I70.
Arik

SnowFaction

I'm a huge fan of A-Basin. It was really never crowded when I went on the weekends. If you go, make sure you stay on the back bowl for a bit (Montezumas)

I am going to Colorado in a few weeks, have never skied there. I am planning to ski 4 days in Winter park and one or two days at each Loveland and A-basin. I am curious if anyone has suggestions of trails to ski at any of this areas. I like wide spaced trees a lot but also steeps, bumps, groomed trails, but not cliffs. I appreciate any suggestions but am not really open to driving farther in on I70.
Arik

deadheadskier

Staff member
Palvacini lift at Abasin is perhaps my favorite anywhere. Only place you may run into unexpected cliffs are out in the alleys.

arik

Thanks alot!

I like the lift advice, lift #1 at Loveland and Pallavinci and Montezuma at A-basin.

I am just thinking how it took me a few years to find my favorite spots at 2 the places I usually ski so a for trip of a few days this is really helpful.

Any tips for WP?

FRITOLAYGUY

Thanks alot!

I like the lift advice, lift #1 at Loveland and Pallavinci and Montezuma at A-basin.

I am just thinking how it took me a few years to find my favorite spots at 2 the places I usually ski so a for trip of a few days this is really helpful.

Any tips for WP?

If you like bumps just stay in Mary Jane all day it really doesnt get better than that.

snoseek

First off pray for snow, we need more bad. Second I will pm you later about LL or A-basin. As noted chair 1 is good-4 and 9 are worth spending some time exploring. Pali is sick-alleys are about as steep as Colorado gets. Winter Park is good @ Mary Jane and The Cirque (some hiking). On pow days I like the stuff off eagle wind chair. If it stays warm and dry I would spend more time At LL and A-basin. Vail pretty much sucked today.

Are you commuting from down here?

arik

Thanks, I really appreciate it! I will pray for more snow.

I am not planning to "commute," (drive up from Denver), will stay in WP for 4 days and Georgetown for 3, and then in denver for 1 last night before flight back. I had heard the drive had traffic at times so I decided not to do that. LL and A-basin are better for snow than WP? I didn't know that elevation looks similar.

snoseek

They all get the same amount but I think under warm temps it will preserve better at those areas (if your after more winterlike snow). Hard to say, maybe the snow will actually be better at WP if they get into a decent corn cycle. There is pleny of base at all three areas right now.

SKidds

Are you a turn earner? If so, hopefully the East Wall is open at A Basin. The North Pole gate is an easier hike than hoffing it straight uphill. A Basin and Loveland will probably maintain the best snow conditions. A Basin and Loveland top out at 13,000 ft and have higher base elevations, so they hold the snow well. I may have a business trip to Denver first week of June and turns at A Basin aren't out of the question. We hit Breck the first week of April one year and the bottom half of the mountain got so mushy it was hard to ski in, even just to get to the bottom at the end of the day. Breck tops out at 13,000 ft so the corn is nice even on a warm spring day.