• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Colorado Snow Storm

dlague

I know this is a northeast board, but after experiencing such a bad winter we are experiencing our first full on winter storm of this ski season. Go figure, we had to move to Colorado to get it. My boys were at Copper where they got 15 inches of fresh. We hope to ski tomorrow with another 6+ falling tonight. It is hitting the front range pretty hard from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins . Parts of Summit County are also scoring with this one. We are trying to settle in and hoping for another 6 weeks of skiing.

Attachments

• 1460869397062.jpg
    1460869397062.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 192

4aprice

And the best thing, it will probably be 80 next week down in the plains while the skiing remains beautiful up in the mountains. Loveland and A Basin were in great shape last week so while the others close there will still be plenty to ski. Mighty good livin out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mriceyman

If we the east got a 2' storm and closed for the season the next day we would go apeshit. But i guess this happens to them alot closing with full coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jcb890

If we the east got a 2' storm and closed for the season the next day we would go apeshit. But i guess this happens to them alot closing with full coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Some places (not all) that close when they do (some still with great/full coverage) is due to Federal Government regulations and not because they want to close down for the season.

steamboat1

I've seen areas in the east close with 100% coverage. It was because of lack of business not lack of snow. I think the same applies to most areas in the west. I've heard that forest service regulations excuse is not true.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
This was a legit storm, no doubt. But it's super heavy (read: eastern-like) snow. Murphy's law, of course... most areas have closed or were scheduled to close today, so feet of snow fell.

Most areas out in these parts set a closing date and stick with it. They might extend a week, but usually not much more (WP/MJ seems to be the exception this year). Yes, it's true that most of us set our closing dates with the USFS; but there's often some flexibility there. The fact is, operating a ski resort in the CO Rockies beyond mid-April is simply not profitable for the majority. At that point, what with the city-dwellers and flatlanders golfing and playing tennis (etc.), there's really only room in the market for one or two areas to cater to the hardcore spring skiers. A-Basin (and Loveland to a lesser degree) have that segment cornered, and they do it well.

My patio this morning (looks like it's settled to about 18" since it's so heavy and wet; but probably 24-26" actually fell here in town):

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpg
    IMG_2307.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 329

JimG.

Staff member
So sad for you guys...only 2 ski areas 100% open and feet of "heavy eastern" powder to ski in.

skiNEwhere

I arrived at A-Basin yesterday at 5:45 fully intending to skin up to get first tracts, but uphill access was closed. In fact, everything was closed. There were 40-50 mph gusts at the base and 100 mph gusts at the summit. Allegedly the roof blew off of the Zuma liftie shack, looks like the glass covering the engine room broke too. Numerous downed trees to boot. As a result they didn't open until 2:45 and only the black mountain express at that.

Salvaged the day and went to copper, and skied A-Basin today.

snoseek

Those spring upslope storms bring some serious snows. Get some, we skied in short sleeves today.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Vortex

I skied A Basin on Friday. It had off and on squalls till about 1 pm then stated dumping. Getting back by loveland over the pass was kind of scary. Sat and Sunday I skied Loveland and it was out of this world. Best two days of skiing in years. The tress were barely touched both Sat and Sunday. Vision was a challenge until mid day on Sunday.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Snowbird and Alta this weekend had January-like conditions up high and mixed bag below half-way or so. Snowbird is going until May 31st.

snoseek

Are they running any ticket deals at snowbird this spring?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

dlague

This was a legit storm, no doubt. But it's super heavy (read: eastern-like) snow. Murphy's law, of course... most areas have closed or were scheduled to close today, so feet of snow fell.

Most areas out in these parts set a closing date and stick with it. They might extend a week, but usually not much more (WP/MJ seems to be the exception this year). Yes, it's true that most of us set our closing dates with the USFS; but there's often some flexibility there. The fact is, operating a ski resort in the CO Rockies beyond mid-April is simply not profitable for the majority. At that point, what with the city-dwellers and flatlanders golfing and playing tennis (etc.), there's really only room in the market for one or two areas to cater to the hardcore spring skiers. A-Basin (and Loveland to a lesser degree) have that segment cornered, and they do it well.

My patio this morning (looks like it's settled to about 18" since it's so heavy and wet; but probably 24-26" actually fell here in town):

attachment.php

I arrived at A-Basin yesterday at 5:45 fully intending to skin up to get first tracts, but uphill access was closed. In fact, everything was closed. There were 40-50 mph gusts at the base and 100 mph gusts at the summit. Allegedly the roof blew off of the Zuma liftie shack, looks like the glass covering the engine room broke too. Numerous downed trees to boot. As a result they didn't open until 2:45 and only the black mountain express at that.

Salvaged the day and went to copper, and skied A-Basin today.

Our boys were at Copper too on the same day and had a blast. We opted for Sunday at LL. Hoping to be at A Basin this weekend.

gmcunni

i was in COS on Saturday - crazy conditions while out driving. cost me my flight home on Saturday night but got out on Sunday night after it all calmed down. what a difference elevation makes for snow totals!

4aprice

I skied A Basin on Friday. It had off and on squalls till about 1 pm then stated dumping. Getting back by loveland over the pass was kind of scary. Sat and Sunday I skied Loveland and it was out of this world. Best two days of skiing in years. The tress were barely touched both Sat and Sunday. Vision was a challenge until mid day on Sunday.

Did that drive 2 weeks ago today. Tunnel was closed and they closed the pass after we went up. White out at the top. Drove down by keeping eyes on the wall and the sticks they use to mark the shoulder (no guard rail on most of it). Always amazed by the 18 wheelers that have to use the pass. Good skiing off the top as well. Looking forward to my son learning the good routes down and taking me for a tour.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Vortex

Did that drive 2 weeks ago today. Tunnel was closed and they closed the pass after we went up. White out at the top. Drove down by keeping eyes on the wall and the sticks they use to mark the shoulder (no guard rail on most of it). Always amazed by the 18 wheelers that have to use the pass. Good skiing off the top as well. Looking forward to my son learning the good routes down and taking me for a tour.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I was pretty psyched I was headed back to Georgetown where I was staying. Traffic was at a standstill with Cars and trucks off the road heading west.