• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Con of stiff ski boots

SIKSKIER

While skiing level does play a part in what stiffness a boot should be,there are so many other factors involved.First is what kind of skiing do you like to do?Aggressive high speed turns or racing gates or playing in the park?Second is body type.Certainly a 6-3 230 lb skier will want a stiffer boot than the 5-8 130 ln imo.Could be just the opposite also.I dont see these diiferent flex level ratings as a marketing ploy at all but as a great way to match what any skier needs.

Domeskier

In moguls, I definitely prefer softer boots, since shock absorption and knee flex is a huge part of skiing moguls well. I really do think that that a stiffer boot is more likely to throw you in the back seat when hitting moguls. You can't bend the knees (absorb a mogul) without forward flex of your boots. If you bend the knees without pushing your shins forward, you'll be lowering your ass behind you - classic backseat.[/I]

+1. The problems with stiff boots in bumps are further magnified by the boot industry's apparent aversion to forward lean these days.