• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Congrats Bushmogulmaster!

drjeff

Named as one of Ski Area Management Magazines Recuits of the year!
http://www.saminfo.com/events/recruit_of_the_year.php#top

patrick@slopegroomer.com

Question 1:

In this time of unprecedented economic turmoil, continued discussion of climate change, a weakening middle class, and myriad other concerns, many issues could be considered the “most pressing.” A great deal of the issues that are defined as “most pressing” are fleeting problems that may or may not be applicable in the future.

Therefore, one must realize that all of these problems must be appropriately identified as one all-encompassing issue: sustainability. The industry must be sustainable in order to survive. Our industry is a business just like any other, in that it cannot survive without a set of constants that sustain it. Skier demographics suggest that our industry is significantly lacking minority participation. With the growth of minorities in the US, especially the Hispanic population, encouraging participation from minorities is crucial to the sustainability of ski areas. Equally important is securing and retaining the young population. Those skiers who take to the sport as young people often continue to participate throughout their lives, and tend to introduce family and friends to the sport. Therefore, catching the attention of the young people within the minorities—and making it possible for them to try the sport—is one of the more important challenges facing our industry. The ski business relies heavily on a variety of uncontrollable factors, most notably, weather. Without snow (or at least temperatures to support snowmaking), ski areas struggle to meet payroll let alone turn a profit. Ski area sustainability is very dependent on having paying guests on the slopes throughout the season. Most important, perhaps, are the holiday periods. Should a ski resort miss its projected numbers during a holiday due to weather, the effect can be dramatically negative on the overall season for both revenue and skier visits.

Regardless of the political implications of the climate-change debate, ski resort regions have always had—and always will have—warm winters and drought periods. In order for ski resorts to be sustainable, they must have snow. Continued advance in snowmaking technology that leads to more efficient snow production at marginal temperatures is key to keeping ski operations in the black throughout difficult weather years. As our nation’s middle class shrinks and economic instability remains an ever-present concern, sustainability for the winter sports industry will face great challengers in gaining and retaining customers. Skiing and snowboarding are not inexpensive sports. Combining equipment, lodging, food, travel, and lift ticket expenses, most Americans cannot afford to be regular skiers. We, as an industry, must find a way to make the sport affordable to this demographic while maintaining a positive revenue influx. As evidenced by all of the various aforementioned factors, many issues could be identified as the number one concern. However, it is clear that one must see the big picture and realize how each of these issues affects the next, and how the industry must move forward in order to foster sustainability.

Question 2:

As a resort operator, it would be important to grasp any opportunity to avail the resort of an event as captivating and widely displayed and recognized as the Winter Olympics. In the months leading up to—and directly following—the winter games, many people find a new (or renewed) interest in winter sports. To be able to capture those individuals and focus their newfound interest on your particular resort could conceivably generate substantial revenue and create new participants for our industry. Were I a resort owner, I would do everything in my power to take full advantage of the excitement of the Olympics. I would seek an appropriate—and ideally relatively local—

Olympic or World Cup athlete to sponsor. By sponsoring a high caliber athlete, the resort’s logo would be visible to a large TV audience, and would improve brand recognition among the current skier base, and potential future participants. Part of this sponsorship arrangement would include a camp or program lead by the sponsored athlete that would be open to the public. This brings a “big name” to the resort, and would generate traffic and boost credibility. I would also arrange to have a truly amateur mock-Olympics at the resort. The event would be in close chronological proximity to the actual games, but not concurrently as to avoid losing potential interest due to focus on the “real thing.” Only amateur athletes would be allowed to register and compete. I would be sure to include smaller-scale competition in all of the major events. I would begin advertising the event over the summer, and would have ads run in major ski publications in an attempt to drive significant traffic to the resort.

The resort’s event would feed off of the excitement for the Olympic Games, and it would also boost excitement as the Games draw nearer. During the actual Olympics, I would offer a variable length Olympic “Ski, Watch, and Stay” package that would include lift tickets, lodging, and admission to a theater-style showing of the live TV broadcast. Not only would this help the resort, but it would also assist the local economy by bringing in longer-term destination visitors who are likely to take advantage of various local merchant and dining options. More important than all of these creative ideas, however, is guest service. The key to truly taking advantage of this heightened excitement is treating the guests to an experience that will leave them smiling and excited to come back with all of their friends. A willingness to go above and beyond in the realm of guest service is the best way to please and retain guests. Even on a bad snow day when lifts are on windhold and important sections of the mountain are closed, if a guest is treated well and made happy, he will return and speak fondly of his experience. There are many ways a resort operator could exploit the passion provoked by the Winter Games. By drawing recognition to the resort through sponsorships, events, and skiing packages, the resort has the opportunity to gain and retain participants. But most of all, the resort must focus on these roused guests and their treatment to make them want to come back time and again."

Philpug

I had a real nice conversation with Patrick a few months ago, he really ha a love for the industry. Congrats to a fine young man.

Geoff

I don't particularly agree with the responses.

Our industry is a business just like any other, in that it cannot survive without a set of constants that sustain it.

This is dead wrong and a recipe for putting yourself out of business. Any business that is looking for constants dies. You can't make buggy whips when people are buying horseless carriages. You can't make minicomputers when people are buying personal computers. To survive, you have to change.

We, as an industry, must find a way to make the sport affordable to this demographic while maintaining a positive revenue influx.

This is an example of the wrong-thinking. In 1960, the business model was to sell day tickets to the middle class. In more recent times, the business model has been to sell a lifestyle to rich people. In 2020, I'm sure a completely different business model will prove to be the successful one. I think it's unlikely that a strategy that targets people who can't afford your day tickets will lead you into the promised land. You want the winter travel and leisure dollars that are going to Disney and Cruise Ships.

I think the big issue with eastern skiing is efficient public transportation. The next time gasoline spikes to $5.00/gallon, it could happen midwinter and put everybody out of business. Until you can get from the metro-areas to your resort lodging and then navigate the local area without a car, this risk is going to continue to be very real. Vermont has gone the other direction. Vermont Transit is gone and Greyhound has killed service to places like Rutland. The train schedule does not align with skier weekend traffic.

Once you fix the transportation issue, you also make the sport accessable to young people. If mom can drop Junior at the local commuter lot early on a Saturday morning and pick him up again on Saturday evening, you've done something to grow the industry. When Junior gets a job as an adult, you can start harvesting more money from him. The explosion of terrain parks created a great social networking fabric for Junior so Junior is going to want to come back. There is an enormous population base that lives within day trip distance of skiing. Focus on that.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Didn't see the thread before. Thanks, folks.

Geoff, I respect your opinion, but obviously disagree. First off, you misinterpreted the quote about a set of constants. A set of constants, as I suggest, does not rule out the myriad variables and changing aspects of this dynamic industry. We must always change, but remain founded on a set of constants. Without these, we have nothing to stand on, no identity as an industry.

Re: your second point, this just shows that we are looking at a different market and a different type of product. In my opinion, the ski areas that will thrive through this era are those that no longer rely solely on real estate operations. Rather, an area that can operate lean, and offer an affordable ski product. It goes beyond desiring a higher yield per skier visit.

And as much as I'd love for our industry to be able to fix the transportation issue, that was not the question, nor does our industry have the resources to tackle that problem. We can be outspoken proponents, but we have no feasible means to create a solution. It is feasible to help, to create a small-scale shuttle service. But you have to realize all of the overhead and the logistics that becomes involved when we branch out into so many different categories of operation. Yes, the transportation issue needs attention. But one of the industry's main problems, in my opinion, is that we already try to be too many things that we are not. Our product should be skiing. Skiing is marketable, and moderately profitable when approached properly.

Just my additional .02

thetrailboss

Staff member
:blink: Geesh, leave it to Geoff to rain on any parade. :roll:

Congrats BMM! Well deserved! :D