• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corbet's Couloir

JerseyJoey

im new here but i do like jackson hole and corbets. im also from new jersey but i ski in vermont and maine. hello everybody here. im jersey joseph.

SkiDog

I havent found any pictures but here is a link to the guys website. Works for Blue Sky snowmobiles.

http://www.shadfree.com/instructors.html

This is all they say about it.

Shad is a founding member of the SLEDNECK revolution and spent four of the following winters filming for the series that changed to sport to what it is today. In the spring of 1999, Shad became the 1st and only person to jump a snowmobile into the famed Corbets Couloir at the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort.

And I believe proceeded to get arrested right after he got down....

Fun I guess....crazy...definitely....worth being arrested? I think not.

M

2knees

And I believe proceeded to get arrested right after he got down....

Fun I guess....crazy...definitely....worth being arrested? I think not.

M

actually my thought was.....worth dying for?

how's summer been out there for you? make sure to post some stoke once the snow flies. which should be in about a month and a half for you, bastard. :smile:

SkiDog

actually my thought was.....worth dying for?

how's summer been out there for you? make sure to post some stoke once the snow flies. which should be in about a month and a half for you, bastard. :smile:

Oh you know I will..... ;-)

Summers been excellent...been doing a TON of outdoor stuff and all of its been free....theres just soo much soo close..... Thanks for asking...hows things back east..

Oh yeah and I forgot DYING....that was a big one...corbets on skis or board is bad enough, but with like 1000lbs under you...even scarier....

Once the snow flies up high, ill be dragging out the touring boards...who needs lifts?

Keep in touch....there always floor space and spare bedrooms.... ;-)

M

koreshot

First, let me say that people don't really understand Colberts that much when they say "Oh yeah, I skied it, it wasn't so bad, you can do it" ... Colberts can vary from easy to pretty difficult (for a recreational skier anyway) based on the following factors:

- the amount of snow that year (how high is the drop)
- presense/absence of fresh snow
- ski patrol maintenance of the cornices and the safest entrance location

Therefore, I won't make a blanket statement on how easy or hard it is in general. All I will say is that when I skied it, it was pretty challenging - challenging enough for one of the instructors leading us down it to have a minor wipe out. Another new instructor didn't even want to attempt.

When i was there it hadn's snowed in 7 days, the landing was pretty stiff and the snow was fast. We would go over to the entrance, hang our skis off the edge and practice the turns in our minds. Finally on day 4, first run of the day, we went for it.

On that day, it was 15+ feet in the air, entering from skier's right skis pointed at the left wall. For me avoiding the rock walls was goal numero uno, it would hurt after a 15 foot free fall, but making a few turns up top is important to snow yourself down, otherwise with no powder to slow you down, you come out maching down cruddy snow. Some people paniced and straightlined down the whole run without even turning - 60mph rag doll displays followed about halfway down the run.

Fun stuff. View from below, you can see the drop:
biglines_71318.jpg

This was the most used entrance point - 15+ feet of air onto not soft snow, skis pointed at a rock wall. Better make that right hand turn :) :
biglines_71316.jpg

shpride

As a person who has only skied in the East it is hard for me to believe that this is an official trail at a ski area. I have a feeling I would pass it up when standing at the top. Those pics are very intimidating.

SkiDork

There's stuff in the east you can practice to get a feel for the drop (sorta). For instance, try hucking the upper headwall of Ovation at Killington (in the middle)

JimG.

Staff member
There's stuff in the east you can practice to get a feel for the drop (sorta). For instance, try hucking the upper headwall of Ovation at Killington (in the middle)

The drop isn't the intimidating part; it's the narrowness of the entrance and the rock walls lining it.

As SRO already mentioned, S&S down the ridge is far more intimidating.

SkiDork

The drop isn't the intimidating part; it's the narrowness of the entrance and the rock walls lining it.

True. Not sure if there's anything in the east to simulate all the aspects.

koreshot

SNS is next to Corbets, it might be visible from the picture i posted, looking up corbets from below.

I think Corbets looks eaiser in pictures than it is in person. In pictures you look at it objectively, but once in person, fear, doubt and the actual reality of what you are about to huck into hits you.

And yes, the hardest part is making sure that you don't run into the rock. There is a way to drop in with skis pointed straight down the hill and straightline without turnin at all, but most likely that will result in a pretty impressive yard sale - for recreational skiers anyway. For really good skiers, people that ski 50, 100 or more days a year in challenging west coast conditions, Corbets is a piece of cake. Some huck it and then rip the rest of the line in 3 large GS style turns.

Its funny how famous Corbets is - there are many harder trails/runs in North America - but few have the draw of Corbets. Just cause you can ski Corbets, doesn't mean you are a great skier - there are known runs in Jackson hole that are more difficult that Corbets. I didn't find them, but locals know them.

shpride

I agree. It was the second picture that had me saying WOH. I have dropped off a number of things, but never had a wall right in front of me upon the landing.

SkiDork

Agreed. And for whoever took issue with my comparison of Corbetts to upper headwall of Ovation, If you re-read it I simply said you can get an idea of the drop. If it's a 15 foot drop on Corbets, you can find about 15 feet of vertical drop off upper Ovation. Thats all I was referring to.

koreshot

A few more pics from my trip down Corbets for your enjoyment...

Another view from the headwall:
biglines_71317.jpg

Our group looking in, getting ready to drop:
biglines_54026.jpg

First victim. Yeah, its steep up at the top.
biglines_54024.jpg

Second victim (yours trully). I am looking ok in that picture, but two turns later I got back seat and double ejected.
biglines_71314.jpg

skiNEwhere

Whats the name of that unofficial trail on the mountain next to stowe. It has a cliff then a very steep pitch, and trees to boot.I remember an instructor telling me about it, but i can't remember the name.

Also I know this doesn't compare as much in difficulty, but if you are looking for a drop and then a little pitch, drop off of the cliff on Devil's Fiddle at K

skibum1321

Whats the name of that unofficial trail on the mountain next to stowe. It has a cliff then a very steep pitch, and trees to boot.I remember an instructor telling me about it, but i can't remember the name.

You're probably talking about Tusk. There are some pretty crazy BC options in the Notch and I would say that if you can handle some of the lines then you should be able to handle Corbet's. This is from someone that has never skied Corbet's though.

St. Jerry

Agreed. And for whoever took issue with my comparison of Corbetts to upper headwall of Ovation, If you re-read it I simply said you can get an idea of the drop. If it's a 15 foot drop on Corbets, you can find about 15 feet of vertical drop off upper Ovation. Thats all I was referring to.

Sorry Dork, but there is nothing in the East even remotly comparable to Corbets. I was at JHMR last winter (a terrible snow year) full of adreneline and ready to ski Corbets. Let's just say all that adreneline was used up just to look over the edge of the trail, let alone attempt to ski it. No freakin' way! It was closed at the time, but I think it was certain death to even attempt it that week.

There is no trail in the East where if you are an expert skier, you seriously risk injury if you attempt to ski it.

$0.02

St. Jerry