• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Corbet's Couloir

Newpylong

Ovation is only an 8 footer or so if you want it to be, and its not manditory. Comparing to Corbets is not possible.

Double ejection on that ! Yipes! I remember popping out head over heels when I landed dropping into Saudan Coiloire at Blackcomb. Needless to say it must have been good viewing for those inside the Rendezvous lodge! haha

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The drop isn't the intimidating part; it's the narrowness of the entrance and the rock walls lining it.
Having never skied it and only having looked at the pictures and videos, that was my arm chair analysis. It is a decent drop but nothing huge and certainly nothing that couldn't be worked up to skiing in the East. The skiing after the crux rock manuveruer doesn't look terribly steep and the couloir seems wide enough after the crux. Seems like making two key turns following the drop surrounded by rock is the difficult part. As previously mentioned, conditions too could make it better or worse. The crowd should certainly factor into the intimidation issue, LOL. Nothing like a bunch of folks just hovering over a run waiting for someone else to get up the nerve.

I hope I get out there before I am too old to have anything to prove to myself and my survival instinct begins to refine itself. :lol:

SkiDork

Sorry Dork, but there is nothing in the East even remotly comparable to Corbets. I was at JHMR last winter (a terrible snow year) full of adreneline and ready to ski Corbets. Let's just say all that adreneline was used up just to look over the edge of the trail, let alone attempt to ski it. No freakin' way! It was closed at the time, but I think it was certain death to even attempt it that week.

There is no trail in the East where if you are an expert skier, you seriously risk injury if you attempt to ski it.

$0.02

St. Jerry

Wow. Just wow. I'm amazed.

I just don't understand why people can't understand what I'm trying to say.

I'm NOT saying Upper O is like Corbetts.

OK, let me repeat.

If you want to get an idea of JUST THE LENGTH OF THE FIRST DROP you might want to check out the Upper Ovation headwall, it's got at least a 15 foot section, if not 20 footer.

Nothing more, not saying it's the same as Corbetts.

hmmmmm... Lemme put it another way.

If you don't have the balls to do the biggest drop/huck off the Upper O headwall, fuggetttabout Corbetts.

That any better?

SkiDork

Ovation is only an 8 footer or so if you want it to be, and its not manditory. Comparing to Corbets is not possible.

Double ejection on that ! Yipes! I remember popping out head over heels when I landed dropping into Saudan Coiloire at Blackcomb. Needless to say it must have been good viewing for those inside the Rendezvous lodge! haha

I would tend to disagree on the height there, but next time I'm up I'm going to try to stand right next to it and have someone take a pic to try to gauge the height.

Yes, of course, it's not manditory - I've actually never done it from the mens tee myself. Only from the far skiers left, or through the woods on skiers right. (which means of course that I would never attempt Corbetts myself, I know my limitations no doubt)

Once again, I'm not comparing it to Corbetts. From my original post: "If you want to get an idea of the height of the first drop" - that in no way says it's the same as Corbetts.

OK?

JerseyJoey

I would tend to disagree on the height there, but next time I'm up I'm going to try to stand right next to it and have someone take a pic to try to gauge the height.

Yes, of course, it's not manditory - I've actually never done it from the mens tee myself. Only from the far skiers left, or through the woods on skiers right. (which means of course that I would never attempt Corbetts myself, I know my limitations no doubt)

Once again, I'm not comparing it to Corbetts. From my original post: "If you want to get an idea of the height of the first drop" - that in no way says it's the same as Corbetts.

OK?

why dont you see that corbets is nothing like ovation headwall. apples and bananas. why just why.

Grassi21

The way I interpret it, SkiDork isn't making an apples to apples comparison. Instead, he is saying that if you don't have the stones to hit the Upper O headwall that there is no way you can claim/state that you would give Corbet's a try. I DO NOT have the stones to try either.

SkiDork

why dont you see that corbets is nothing like ovation headwall. apples and bananas. why just why.

I DO see that. I'll plainly admit it. Corbetts is nothing like O headwall.

Satisfied?

Now, as long as I did you the courtesy of replying to your post, do me the courtesy and re-read my ascertation. It definitely wasn't "O headwall is like Corbetts"

mmmkay?

Let me put it yet a 3rd way:

In doing Corbetts, there are a number of different "steps" you have to do, something to the effect of

1) Work up the courage to actually drop in

2) Do a 15 or 20 foot huck

3) Make an immediate check turn when you lane the huck in order to avoid crashing into a rock wall

4) Continue to make tight check turns, so you ski straight down the chute

etc. etc.

Alls I'm saying, is you can _try_ O headwall to get a _feel_ for step number 2. None of the othe steps, mind you.

Don't know how more plainly I can state it.

If you still cant' see my point, I jus plain give up.

Last edited:

JerseyJoey

I DO see that. I'll plainly admit it. Corbetts is nothing like O headwall.

Satisfied?

Now, as long as I did you the courtesy of replying to your post, do me the courtesy and re-read my ascertation. It definitely wasn't "O headwall is like Corbetts"

mmmkay?

but they're not the same. corbets is corbets and ovation is ovation. your a funny man sometimes. not now but sometimes.

SkiDork

but they're not the same. corbets is corbets and ovation is ovation. your a funny man sometimes. not now but sometimes.

I just figgered it out (also see my edit)

You're a funny guy bling Thanks for the chuckle. ;-)

I get it.

JerseyJoey

I just figgered it out (also see my edit)

You're a funny guy bling Thanks for the chuckle. ;-)

I get it.

are you calling me bling or is that a ajective. not sure what you mean. all im saying is that ovation and corbets are different trails. you are confusing me.

dmc

Only thing compareable is Dodges at Tucks..

Dork - the difference between the Ovation headwall and CC is that CC is a flat out straight down drop.. Not even a huck.. Just a drop.. And thats the worst part of it.. Cause where you land is generally a "rut" cause people drop in and turn immediatly...

Come up to Tucks and drop the Left Gully.. Lately it's had a nice cornice onto a steep shot.. Not thats good practice...

SkiDork

Only thing compareable is Dodges at Tucks..

Dork - the difference between the Ovation headwall and CC is that CC is a flat out straight down drop.. Not even a huck.. Just a drop.. And thats the worst part of it.. Cause where you land is generally a "rut" cause people drop in and turn immediatly...

Come up to Tucks and drop the Left Gully.. Lately it's had a nice cornice onto a steep shot.. Not thats good practice...

Well, O headwall IS pretty vertical, but I think my hucking/dropping days are behind me, because of my knees. Still like to check out Tux though

dmc

Well, O headwall IS pretty vertical, but I think my hucking/dropping days are behind me, because of my knees. Still like to check out Tux though

There's nothing "pretty" in the CC drop.. In fact it's more then vertical.. It can be concave..

Tucks next April... Come on... It's calling you... I'll guide.. I won't let you do anything that out of your realm..

Puck it

The drop is 15 to 20 feet and invovles a turn in the huck to avoid the wall if the drop in on the right side like it is was when I was there in March 07. It was very hard and rutted this year and I only saw three people try and all bought the farm. The first part is the toughest then after the second turn is relatively simple. There is other stuff in bounds that sustained pitches that are tough. Such as Tower 3 chute(another tourist attraction), Toilet Bowl, Bivouac Woods, and Saratoga Bowl.

JimG.

Staff member
Have you skied them both?

Skiied Corbet's once...during a big snow year. It was alot easier than what you see in Koreshot's pics.

S&S is out of my league...mandatory cliff band in the middle. Again, difficulty depends on snow depth, but cliff drops are cliff drops to me. If it's the only feature to deal with, I'll take a look. But cliffs in the middle of a 45-50 degree chute...not me.

St. Jerry

The point is that Corbets and Ovation should never be used in the same sentance/paragraph/posting.

St. Jerry

SkiDork

The point is that Corbets and Ovation should never be used in the same sentance/paragraph/posting.

St. Jerry

OK, how about...

Jackons Hole has Corbetts Couloir.

Killington Has Ovation.

Seperate sentences.

Happy?