• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cranmore Plans $50 Million Base Expansion, Condo Development

Edd

Their base lodge is certainly in need of replacement. Although you could say that about many base lodges. Big changes.

http://www.ropeways.net/rn/index.php?i=60&wert=1&news=5132&titel=Cranmore%20Plans%20$50%20Million%20Base%20Expansion,%20Condo%20Development

Edit: link doesn't seem to work. Here's the article.

Cranmore Resort has announced plans for a $50 million condominium and base area redevelopment that will provide ski–in, ski–out ownership at the base of Cranmore and in the heart of North Conway, one of America’s most dynamic ski towns.

When the Fairbank Group acquired Cranmore in the summer of 2010, “the bones of the mountain were terrific, but it needed a hug,” CEO Tyler Fairbank told SnoCountry.com. “So we put together a phased plan to try to figure out where condominium development would fit in.”

The Fairbank Group has spent $10 million to modernize the resort, including four new lifts, a top-shelf kids center, re-clad buildings, and year-round activities like a mountain coaster and giant swing. “We created a resort with non-skiing capabilities on a year-round basis,” Fairbank told us.
Realizing that some of the buildings are reaching the end of their usable life, the owners are using the same model as they have successfully followed at Massachusetts’s Jiminy Peak to redevelop the base area using condo sales.

In this model, the first floor of a building is used as commercial space for all the skier amenities you’d expect at a first-class resort. The upper floors offer slopeside access to all those amenities and afford skiers the opportunity to leave their car parked for the entire weekend.

“For the local weekend visitor or for anyone who spends time at the resort, the day lodge experience will be so much better in the future, with nice restaurants and ski shops,” Cranmore’s General Manager Ben Wilcox told us. It will also afford the opportunity to expand summer offerings, such as air-conditioned weddings.

Funds from the condominium sales make the commercial space possible. Fairbank expects to offer nearly 50,000 square feet of new commercial space by completion of the project.

“One of the things that made Cranmore so attractive to us is downtown North Conway. The ski village is a really vibrant community, with hotels, restaurants, and shopping, it really is a mecca up there,” Fairbank said.

Sales of the Kearsarge Brook condos began a month ago, and Fairbank anticipates that they will be able to break ground this spring, but construction won’t begin until 14 of the 37-unit first building are sold. “We want to make sure there is demand in the market, not only for funding the project, but to let the consumer know there is viability in their investment.”

Wilcox added that they are sweetening the pot for the first owners, with five years of skiing for a family of four for the first 14 buyers.

Ultimately, the base area of the resort will be fully replaced, but it will be a six to 10 year phased development, rebuilding sections while using the resort.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Should be a real hit; especially being so close to downtown N. Conway. Having that added critical mass of people right there should be good for all of the village businesses.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jiminy Peak north.

:rant:

I ski Jiminy once or twice a year nowadays. Haven't skied there yet this year, but I do check the snow report often. Midweek they've been running the six pack, the two beginner lifts, and the carpet lift. No Widow White's and no Grand Slam. If you're going to shut down 1/3 of your parent mountain by not running Widow's, or cause hotel-goers to be trapped in the lower basin of the mountain by not running Grand Slam... you should NOT be investing in the mountain that can't even compete with the other players in the area (I'll get into this later in my rant). The Summit Triple hasn't run regularly in years, even on the busiest Saturday's. No more snowmaking on Upper Exhibition, a real loss considering that was one of two trails they didn't groom (the other one being natural snow only as well). Laughably expensive tickets. No decent deals since 2012 or so. Not gonna get my business.

As for implementing this Village idea at Cranmore... it won't work like it did at Jiminy. Jiminy's true village is something unique for Massachusetts and can't be found south of Stratton. The mountain's location on route 22 makes it great for Westchester County to drive to on the weekends. Lot's of money flowing and no competition. No hotels nearby outside of dirty Pittsfield. Cranmore is a completely different animal. First... you can't compete with North Conway. No need for slopeside hotels and condos when you have the quintessential New England ski town at the foot of the mountain... and if you were looking for slopeside condos Attitash has filled that very limited market.

:rant:

Again, don't ski Jiminy much... never skied Cranmore and probably never will... but stupidity in the ski industry pisses me off.

This is almost as bad as Catamount's slopeside hotel/timeshare thingy...almost at bad :angry:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I couldn't disagree with you more. The proximity to North Conway Village is what makes this work. It's not competing with the village of North Conway, it's an extension of that village to the mountain. North Conway village has one of the highest concentrations of tourists of any mountain village in all of New England. Stratton is an absolute ghost town in the summer. Why? Too far from Manchester.

There's nothing ever stupid about building real estate people want to buy. I bet Cranmore makes bank on this project and the increased critical mass of people only encourages more development in N. Conway village.

yeggous

People who like North Conway will stay in North Conway... not Cranmore.

This is contradictory. Cranmore is well within North Conway. Like a mile from downtown. Most of the hotels are further from downtown than the mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
People who like North Conway will stay in North Conway... not Cranmore.

Have you ever been there? It's a fifteen minute walk from where that base development is planned to the center of North Conway Village. For all intents and purposes, Cranmore is IN North Conway Village. Now someone gets to stay in a brand new condo that they can step right outside the door to a lift or take a short walk into town.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I couldn't disagree with you more. The proximity to North Conway Village is what makes this work. It's not competing with the village of North Conway, it's an extension of that village to the mountain. North Conway village has one of the highest concentrations of tourists of any mountain village in all of New England. Stratton is an absolute ghost town in the summer. Why? Too far from Manchester.

There's nothing ever stupid about building real estate people want to buy. I bet Cranmore makes bank on this project and the increased critical mass of people only encourages more development in N. Conway village.

Perhaps. It works at Okemo with Ludlow as the village and the massive condos at the mountain.

Stowe is a winter/summer village and the mountain's condos are few and far between, and priced in a niche market. One example where mountain can't compete with town, imo.

yeggous

Have you ever been there? It's a fifteen minute walk from where that base development is planned to the center of North Conway Village. For all intents and purposes, Cranmore is IN North Conway Village. Now someone gets to stay in a brand new condo that they can step right outside the door to a lift or take a short walk into town.

Bingo.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Perhaps. It works at Okemo with Ludlow as the village and the massive condos at the mountain.

Stowe is a winter/summer village and the mountain's condos are few and far between, and priced in a niche market. One example where mountain can't compete with town, imo.

Okemo and their residential developments are MUCH further away from the town of Ludlow. My family had a home in Ludlow for 15 years. I can tell you that not once during that time did we walk from town up to mountain or know anyone who lived slope side walk down that big ass hill to the village. Totally different set up than Cranmore and North Conway.

Regarding Stowe; well I lived there for the better part of ten years, so I know a little bit about Stowe too. The village and hotel at Stowe has done a number of the local businesses in town. Hotels like Top Notch and Stoweflake don't have as high of occupancy rates today as they did pre Spruce Peak development. There are actually fewer restaurants in town today than there were 20 years ago when I first moved there. I know many local business people who did better prior to Spruce peak.

yeggous

Okemo and their residential developments are MUCH further away from the town of Ludlow. My family had a home in Ludlow for 15 years. I can tell you that not once during that time did we walk from town up to mountain or know anyone who lived slope side walk down that big ass hill to the village. Totally different set up than Cranmore and North Conway.

Regarding Stowe; well I lived there for the better part of ten years, so I know a little bit about Stowe too. The village and hotel at Stowe has done a number of the local businesses in town. Hotels like Top Notch and Stoweflake don't have as high of occupancy rates today as they did pre Spruce Peak development. There are actually fewer restaurants in town today than there were 20 years ago when I first moved there. I know many local business people who did better prior to Spruce peak.

Both of those towns are an order of magnitude smaller than North Conway, and a lot further from the mountain. I have no doubt Cranmore will do well with this development. They'll be one of the closest developments to downtown.

prsboogie

But who is forking over 500k to ski Cranmore more then 2-3 times a year? It has a few interesting trails and I'm sure on a good dump year it would be fun in the trees but...

Edd

But who is forking over 500k to ski Cranmore more then 2-3 times a year? It has a few interesting trails and I'm sure on a good dump year it would be fun in the trees but...

I suspect many of these units will be rented out by owners much of the time.

prsboogie

I suspect many of these units will be rented out by owners much of the time.

Sure they will be but thats a big nut to cover with inconsistent additional income. Guess I'm just not a risk taker.

yeggous

Sure they will be but thats a big nut to cover with inconsistent additional income. Guess I'm just not a risk taker.

Once again you're looking in the wrong direction. North Conway is much, much busier in summer than winter. That is where the money is.

VTKilarney

The same type of people who fork over lots of money for a condo at Bretton Woods. I think that this project will do VERY well.

Jully

Yeah Cranmore has a pretty sizable community surrounding it from both locals and individuals who own condos in N. Conway to mostly ski Cranmore in the winter (half of my aunt's condo development has season passes to Cranmore). They might have bought the condo mostly for summer use, but definitely still use it in the winter months.

This will make bank, I won't be happy about it, but it'll make bank.