• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched 2/19

jack97

Went up to Crotched with my daughter. Conditions were great from 10:00 am till about 3:00 pm when some trails got skied off. Place had every trail open but the glades had too much dirt showing for my taste. Lines/crowds were non existent. Plus the HSQ took us up in 4- 5 mins. This was the first time we ate lunch at noon, my daughter thought I was nuts when I suggested eating at that time. But the lodge layout had plenty of tables and the policy was no ski/snow bags in the caff.

Bump trails under the quad and Equinox had long icy flat sections but were still fun. The bumps over at Upper park was great, lower part had some nice shapes to them. Had kickers of varoius pitched and height if you wanted to try them out. And the ski cross course was still up. IMO, the place was a bargain.

xwhaler

I read all these great things about Crotched and I've yet to ski there. This needs to change given it's probably slightly closer to my house than Gunstock and now with the HSQ would be a good place to get lots of runs in.
Appears they have a Sunday afternoon ticket for $29 (2:30-5) perhaps I will try and score some cut up powder this wknd after snowblowing myself out.

bobbutts

The new quad really changes it for the better. Ride and Ski card is good for midweek 2-1's 9am-5pm or 1pm-5 although in the past I have been successful using it for night also even though it wasn't listed. I haven't been this year at night, but will try the card if I make it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Need to make it back. Only been once a few seasons ago and the ride to the summit while not long, certainly seemed it for how quick you can make it down the mountain. The HSQ must make the short runs much more tolerable.

jack97

The hsq is the wildcard.... I think Tin's point is for people down south, the diff in time to go to Wachusetts versus Crotched can be anywhere from 30 to 40 mins. The extra time driving while chillin out in the car may be worth it to make more runs at the Crotch. Especially on a w/e, given wachusetss has long lines and crowded slopes. Even on a weekday, the trails at wachusetts gets old fast.

I'm in the 40 minute diff time, to me it's worth it. Slightly cheaper, more variety, no lines and presently better bump trails.

mlkrgr

For me it is:

30 minutes to a ski bus stop that charges $80
1 hr to Wachusett that charges $58
1 hr 2/3 to Crotched that charges $59
2 hrs to Waterville that charges a whole wide range of prices but at most $73, and has vouchers to use during nonholiday periods excluding Saturdays (they've been found at many places this year; the mall and 99 just to name a couple).

That's the scenarios I will pick from this season. For 20 minutes extra, if I am going in a car, Waterville is still cheaper on many weekdays when you consider their daily specials which range from $10-49 on any given day (most days being $43 or $49). The game changes greatly when I have a voucher as I just pay for gas and wear and tear especially when someone is going with me. More or less, it is an even tradeoff if I'm going alone on a day I can catch one; and on days there is none (mainly Tuesdays and Fridays), it's a day I'll ski that I wouldn't otherwise. But for variety, it is just as well to take a bus trip for $80, which is $21 or $22 more than a Crotched or Wachusett ticket, but it saves 100 or 50 (respectively) miles on my car round trip; which is a more than a fair trade once wear and tear, gas, and the convenience of relaxing a bit more is factored in, and you can't forget the ski bus still takes you to a better mountain like Sunday River, Killington, Stowe, Jay, etc.

So after all that, it'd be hard from a value perspective to hit up Crotched unless there's a special deal day (or unless I move closer to the mountain).

xwhaler

Crotched does seem a bit high price wise for what it is. Especially their night skiing on a wknd...$44 seems kinda steep when Gunstock is $30 and I can use the RSNE card for another $5 off. Though I guess when Pats is charging $45 for their Sat night POP (rentals, ticket, tubing) it's comparable. Wish they offered some better deals on the wknd or some affiliation with the Irving Gas program or something....hard to justify $59 on a ticket when I can typically ski for half that on a wknd through various deals.

I'm sure it's all up to Peaks though---Notice Wildcat/Attitash are doing the $17 St Patty's day ticket again this year which is on a Sunday. Anyone know if Crotched may do this as well?

It would be good if RSNE can go to Crotched for one of their "tour stops" next yr. Those are always a great value for Saturday turns.