• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crowded ski areas

Its Saturday, 10:12 AM and the hordes of weekend warriors from Boston begin to decend the slopes. As this terrifying phenomenon occurs, which ski areas become a hellish mix of skiied off trails, massive lift lines, packed lodges or are just plain crowded?

My votes go to:

1. Loon
2. Sunapee
3. Waterville
4. Killington
5. Okemo
6. Wachusett
7. Mt. Snow

ScottySkis

Its Saturday, 10:12 AM and the hordes of weekend warriors from Boston begin to decend the slopes. As this terrifying phenomenon occurs, which ski areas become a hellish mix of skiied off trails, massive lift lines, packed lodges or are just plain crowded?

My votes go to:

1. Loon
2. Sunapee
3. Waterville
4. Killington
5. Okemo
6. Wachusett
7. Mt. Snow
MT. Snow and Killington are fully open I in the past always found ways to avoid crowds, also just an hour north is Sugarbush smaller crowds on even holiday weeks are light compared to South Vermont. I also recommend finding a place with maybe no high speed chairs and you will probably have less people on the hill.
I never been to those NH resorts that you listed but when both

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

drjeff

Crowds are GREAT for the business of skiing. The more crowds, the less likely we all are to have talk of ski areas closing and/or ski areas slacking on infastructure areas, and that's a good thing.

Now if I could just find the proper balance between large, profitable crowds and lack of downhill skier/rider denisty, that would be perfect! :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Now if I could just find the proper balance between large, profitable crowds and lack of downhill skier/rider denisty, that would be perfect! :)
You could find it... at a different mountain. ;)

Crowds are not great for skiing. Many ski areas are sustainable without being completely packed to the gills. Crowds are great for business models that demand crowds. But there are a lot of different ski areas with a lot of different business models and larger areas rarely go under excepting poor management.

AlbanyEd

Avoid the crowds at the big mountains that are loading up with bus groups, overnight skiers
and giveaways. Instead try Bromley in VT, Catamount in MA or Plattekill in the Catskills.
Lots of good trails, good grooming and good snow.

Smellytele

My votes go to:

1. Loon
2. Sunapee
3. Waterville
4. Killington
5. Okemo
6. Wachusett
7. Mt. Snow

Not that I am a big fan of Waterville. Back in the 90's the place was hell and I hadn't been back for 15 years until 2 or 3 years ago.The last few times I have gone on a weekend the lift lines were no more than a 3 or 4 minute wait with no lines ever at Northside double.

4aprice

Crowds at my home mountain, only exist between Christmas and Presidents Day. Even then I'm never sure till I get to the mountain what its going to be like. Some days that you think would be crowded nobody shows and the opposite as well. For the most part I just put up with them. While its the heart of the ski season its really not that long a period of time. I like to stay local any holiday period and fight the crowds here then hit them up north. The shoulder seasons (Pre Christmas, post Presidents) are when I get a majority of my good skiing in.

Alex

Lske Hopatcong, NJ

Newpylong

What you can't find at mountains that don't rely on this model are dependable ski conditions, which is really why the crowds go to the areas mentioned in the first place.

Crowds are not great for skiing. Many ski areas are sustainable without being completely packed to the gills. Crowds are great for business models that demand crowds. But there are a lot of different ski areas with a lot of different business models and larger areas rarely go under excepting poor management.

jrmagic

What you can't find at mountains that don't rely on this model are dependable ski conditions, which is really why the crowds go to the areas mentioned in the first place.

So crowded skied off slopes are considered dependable ski conditions? To each there own I guess. When conditions suck like they did last year, the conditions at these other mountains were not much worse (if any worse at all) than the places mentioned above. It also depends no what you are looking for. I'm quite happy skiing less crowded trails that may have less grooming or thin cover with rocks etc. poking through here and there.

Smellytele

So crowded skied off slopes are considered dependable ski conditions? To each there own I guess. When conditions suck like they did last year, the conditions at these other mountains were not much worse (if any worse at all) than the places mentioned above. It also depends no what you are looking for. I'm quite happy skiing less crowded trails that may have less grooming or thin cover with rocks etc. poking through here and there.

+1

hammer

Not that it isn't crowded on Sundays but it is less crowded, even at the places for the masses that I go to (Loon and Sunapee). I've never liked going on Saturdays.

bdfreetuna

Longest lift waits = single chair at MRG

Jiminy Peak can get very crowded with long lift lines. Haven't been to Wachusett since I was a kid and I haven't had to wait in lift lines for long at Killington or Mt Snow any time I can remember.

Last time I was at Loon it was extremely crowded. Sunapee gets crowded but not as bad as Loon.

Watatic Skier

Wachusett get's very busy Thursday Night-Sunday. Almost not worth it a lot of the time. 15-30 minute lines quite often.

AdironRider

Name one mountain where more customers goes against their business model.

ScottySkis

Avoid the crowds at the big mountains that are loading up with bus groups, overnight skiers
and giveaways. Instead try Bromley in VT, Catamount in MA or Plattekill in the Catskills.
Lots of good trails, good grooming and good snow.

+1 I think Sadddleback in Maine is to crowded
Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I guess so, if you mean dependably awful conditions. At least on weekends (which is when those areas are crowded), conditions are deplorable. There are places that strike a decent balance.