• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crystal 12/7/20

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Resort or Ski Area
Crystal
Date
Dec 7, 2020
Snow Conditions
  1. Slush or Spring Snow
This place has gotten some serious snow. I believe the snowpack is something like 125-150% of the seasonal average. Everything was open a week ago but due to melting some of the crazy stuff is now closed (Chair 6 and Northway). Today was a 40 degree spring day, with blue skies and minimal wind....rare from my understanding. Shadowed places like the Green Valley and its assorted bowls were packed powder. Frontside stuff in the sun was spring with some corn from all the freeze/refreeze cycles. At the bottom it was slow mank but that wasn't too much of an issue. Coverage was really good, even in the sun. What I like so far about Crystal is there's a lot of sustained steep stuff. I haven't gone too far off the beaten path but terrain on the "frontside" is consistent 1,000 vertical ft of legitimately challenging terrain with no let up. Lots of nice bumps on the hill today too. Very big. It hasn't snowed here in about week and it shows on the groomers and down low where there's some rocks and dirt getting churned up by the snow cats.

Tomorrow looks wet with dropping snow levels throughout the day. Which is fine as I have to be on the laptop taking car of Flatland things. I'll probably go out and give it a go in the afternoon up on the higher terrain. Then Tuesday night onward there's a constant chance of snow. Models indicating 6"-12" at elevation by week's end. It's a pretty good scenerio....falling temps through the week so we'll get heavy wet snow followed by dry stuff. I'm not expecting anything crazy to open up...but with the base that's already down I don't think it'll take more than a few inches of glop to get things skiing really nicely.

1607397178361.png

1607397221693.png

ss20

So you have no trouble reserving days?
Midweek with a few days notice it's been no issue. I reserved these days late last week. Also got Big Sky this Sunday-Wednesday.

It's all relative. Snowbird parking on weekends is sold out through something crazy like February. Killington it's been a non-issue from what I'm able to see 2,500 miles away, checking the parking site from time to time.

ss20

Super manky today but it did not rain at all and there were blue skies til 3pm. Got 4 hours out on the hill. Rain finally arrived tonight an hour ago but temps are forecasted to drop quickly. Probably just an inch or two at the base but could be 3"-5" up top by the end of the day tomorrow. Temps are right on schedule, should see a change over to snow in an hour or so

jg17

Looks like a good time, despite not having 6 and Northway open! All the early season snow was unreal, 6 and north were awesome the weekend before Thanksgiving. On Black Friday, traversing across the top of 6 was all rocks and did a number on my base, although the runs themselves were still pretty good. 6 reopened today and north should reopen this week with more snow on the way.

There has been no shortage of bluebird this season, which is unusual but nice. I found it pretty funny to be riding powder off of 6 on a bluebird day in November, when my last day up there was a whiteout day in June!